[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 9 July 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Jul 9 18:39:53 UTC 2018

Logs at:


Notes below:

= Network team meeting pad, 9 July 2018 =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
23 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001747.html
30 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001750.html
7 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001760.html
14 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001769.html
21 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001806.html
11 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001828.html
18 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001835.html
25 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001863.html
2 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001866.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!

== Announcements ==

* Let nickm know asap if there are problems with the releases in
https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/volatile/src/ , or else he will
release them.

* Remember that 035 triage is in progress.  I plan that on Wednesday I
will remove all the stuff that isn't included for some reason.  See

* I have 3 points on my update that are reminders for all the team (isa)

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next release!
* The git master branch is now 0.3.5!

== Discussion ==

* I've marked 0.3.5 as an LTS release.  Can we restrict the
configurations in which it's LTS?  For example, I would like to say
that there will be no Rust-LTS until our rust support is farther
along. -nm

== Updates ==

teor (offline):
   last week:
       - Tried to work out whether the sbws bandwidth measurements are ok
       - Fixed 1/3 of an onion service ed25519 id mismatch bug
       - Planning for PrivCount in Tor
       - Bwauth code reviews, let's watch out for scope creep
       - Caught up with some backlogs
       - Minor setup tasks
       - Personal stuff
   this week:
       - Finish PrivCount in Tor blinding and secret sharing branch
       nickm: what is the status of your PrivCount blinding rust
branch? (#25669)
       Did we merge it? Should I review it? What's it called?
               (I believe my code is here -- there's no Tor branch for
it yet.  Let's talk about next steps soon?)
       - Implement PrivCount in Tor noise
       - Work on a per-relay / per-consensus / per-counter noise spec
for PrivCount in Tor
       - Reduce my review and revision backlogs
       - Book Mexico travel (well, maybe the week after)

    last week:
        - Tons of admin :/
        - PETS reviews
        - finished splitting src/common and src/or
        - Began documenting src/common and src/or
        - Prepped for releases
        - 034 ticket triage
        - Began 035 ticket triage (not yet done)
        - Small hack to fix 26568 (broken controlportwritetofile in 0.3.4)
        - Booked Mexico travel
    this week:
        - Merge many merge-ready things
        - Fixed a bug that broke compilation with
--disable-memory-sentinels (which we recommend for fuzzing)
        - Complete 0.3.5 ticket triage.
        - PETS discussions
        - Advance discussion of relay crypto.
        - Post-refactoring cleanups.
        - Release
        - Release
        - Try to fix all my 0.3.5 fast-fix tickets
        - Time permitting, grab something from the roadmap. :)

    last week (2018-W27):

        - coverity rotation -- nothing new (but just noticed that last
build was dated Jun 24) [ahf: yeah, i'd very much like this to be
rerun to see how many things were fixed] [I will debug post-meeting

        - github org consolidation discussions
        - CC stuff
        - looked a bit at #26376 (cross compiling docs)
        - travel bureaucracy
        - continued dealing with flaky internet access
    this week (2018-W28):
        - community guide rotation
        - code reviews
        - follow up on github org consolidation stuff and related documentation
        - make some progress on s8 stuff with ahf and asn

    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Dusted off some of the old shell scripts I made during the
              sponsor 4 period for memory profiling of new compression
              algorithms which can be reused for s8 (bug #26630)
            - Checked if gprof and Android's simpleperf yieled similar results
              on 64-bit desktop and 64-bit arm device. Looks OK.
            - Reviewed #24546.
            - Progress on MacOS/Seatbelt Sandbox refactoring in #26374.
            - More Windows OS studying.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Continue profiling work in the early parts of the week (#26630).
            - Back to PT error reporting (#25502).
            - Book flights to Mexico.
            - Still have a backlog of Coverity issues from week #25 I
need to fix.
            - Promised to help out with some additional triage last week, wasn't
              useful at all here and not very productive at all late Thursday
              and Friday. Nickm: Did you do what you wanted to do here or can I
              still be of help? [I think I'm okay, but I wouldn't mind
help when it comes time to do the next step.  For now, just remember
to do the triaging stuff described at
            - Look at Isa's S8 reporting.

  Last week:
    - Reviewed nickm's refactoring tickets as they were coming in.
    - 035 ticket triage.
    - Failed to resolve #26300 ... I've attempted to reproduce it in chutney
      considering what we know now but unsuccessful.
    - Most of my time was in review world, very little bug squashing.
  This week:
    - I will attack big roadmap items now that the refactoring has settled a
      bit for now and code base won't move much. I'm thinking memory profiling
      and Authenticated SENDMEs probably (#26288).
    - Ideally, I want to bring #20700 to a mergeable state. Will sync with
    - Will work on HOPE slide (shouldn't be too long but still need to
produce 5-10).

    Last week:
        - Revise some code in the PR
    This week:
        - Continue revising the code. So sad, currently I have so
little free time :(
 Last week:
 - Reviewed #21349, #26269.
 - Triaged 035 tickets.
 - Feedback in #4700
 - Did some debugging on #26627.
 This week:
 - Help isa with onion proposal.
 - Get up to date with 035 deliverables.
    mike: what is there to do in vanguard land now? you want me to
help with writing blog post?
    catalyst/ahf: anything new in s8 #22266/#25502 land? how can i help here?

    - sponsor 8 Q2 report (need help collecting information about work
done in April, May and June - here is our pad for it:
    - onion services full proposal - will kick off the work this week
and hope to finish it before hope
    - catalyst and dgoulet and teor worked on the survey I sent to the
team - please look at their answers and make sure you are good with
it. The surveys will be used to build a process/guidelines for tor to
use github that meets all teams needs.

More information about the tor-project mailing list