[tor-project] community team updates for May and June 2018

Alison Macrina alison at libraryfreedomproject.org
Thu Jul 12 20:54:47 UTC 2018

May 2018 Community Team highlights

Meeting notes
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam#CurrentTeamDiscussions

Tor Meeting
Mexico City meeting planners began having regular meetings to work out
the details before the September meeting.

Outreachy and Summer of Privacy
Jaruga began working on cleaning up and improving documentation (her
work can be tracked here [1], and Cy began working on collecting Tor
user issues from around the web. Jaruga also identified major issues
with Tor Wikipedia pages, and the community team discussed mitigation
strategies.

community.torproject.org
We worked on modular Tor slides that will eventually live on the
community portal, and we tested them out during the Uganda trip.

Library Freedom Institute
Alison worked on finalizing plans for LFI, which began on June 1.

Tor talks and outreach
Cryptorave took place on 5 and 6 May in Brazil with Isabela keynoting
and 10 talks and activities about Tor and Tails.

We worked on plans for the HOPE conference in NYC in July, organizing
Tor talks, workshops, and a table.

dmr's June event at the Ann Arbor Library was posted [2].

dmr is also planning some local events to take place around Aaron Swartz
Day.

Alison went to Uganda with Antonela as part of our combined community
and usability team work. We met with local activists, human rights
defenders, and digital rights organizations, did Tor trainings,
collected user feedback, and incorporated what we learned into our work
on the website redevelopment and usability improvements.

We started scheming about an October NYC Tor meetup.

Gus began planning for Tor events at FISL (International Free Software
Forum) in Porto Alegre/Brasil this July.

Relay advocate
Colin began his new role as the relay advocate! He started by planning a
relay operator meetup at PETS in Barcelona this July, handing off duties
from his former role as support and translation coordinator, and
introducing himself to all the relay operators. The biggest request he's
heard so far from operators is that they want to see Tor Weather
revived, so he's looking into that possibility. Colin's intro blog post
for his new role is here [3].

Community liaison
We conducted interviews for the community liaison position, and we are
very happy that Gus (ggus) accepted the offer! His began by organizing
the trip to Colombia with the usability team, creating the 2018 Global
South events calendar [4], making preliminary plans for the Kenya trip,
and working on plans for the Mexico City meeting.

Other stuff
We discussed changing the meeting time again to be more friendly to team
members in South Asia.

[1] https://tor.dial.ga/
[2] https://aadl.org/node/372209
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/get-help-running-your-relay-our-new-advocate
[4] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/global-south/2018-May/000173.html

June 2018 Community Team highlights

Meeting notes
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/CommunityTeam#CurrentTeamDiscussions

Tor Meeting
We continued working on the Mexico City meeting plans, particularly
focusing on creating a great schedule for the open days.

Outreachy and Summer of Privacy
Cy published the user issues spreadsheet for May [1] and Jaruga
continued working on cleaning up documentation [2].

Website portals
We worked on a bunch of docs that will eventually go on the community
portal when it's ready.

Gus translated the training slides bundle to Spanish with Antonela's help.

Gus also translated and published the Tor Relay Guide to PT-BR [3].

Colin helped Tommy take over the Tor Browser Manual duties.

We also did testing and editing for the support portal.

Library Freedom Institute
Library Freedom Institute began on June 1!

Tor talks, meetups, and outreach
Gus went to Colombia with the usability team and conducted Tor trainings
and usability work with multiple organizations in several cities.

We continued working on plans for the HOPE conference in NYC in July,
organizing Tor talks, workshops, and a table.

Gus and Cy continued planning for FISL in Porto Alegre, Brasil.

Gus continued organizing Kenya events for August, and also began
contacting other community members in new countries for future Sponsor9
work, as well as other places in the Global South to do community events.

Colin continued planning the PETS relay operator meetup, as well as
other Tor events at PETS. Here's the blog post [4].

dmr held a Cryptoparty workshop at the Ann Arbor library on [5].

Alison gave a talk at Brandeis University.

Alison did some Tor and LFP promotion at the American Library
Association conference in New Orleans.

kushal continued working on dplug summer privacy training [6].

Steph is giving a Tor talk for young women at an NYC high school in July.

kevun held a meeting for the Tor community in Portugal and it was really
successful (double the capacity of the room!) so he's planning on
organization more of these events.

Colin will give a Tor talk at a Canadian hackerspace called SkullSpace
in August or September.

Relay advocacy
In addition to planning the PETS meetup, Colin continued working with
relay operators on the issues that got brought up after his initial
contact email. He's also planning a relay operators' blog post for July.

Other stuff
We completed our June to October roadmap [7].

[1] https://ethercalc.org/may_2018
[2] https://tor.dial.ga/
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide-ptbr
[4] https://blog.torproject.org/meetup-tor-community-night-pets