[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 11 June 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Jun 12 13:36:31 UTC 2018

Hi!  Our logs from yesterday's meeting are at:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-06-11-16.58.html

Our notes follow below:
--------

= Network team meeting pad, 11 Jun 2018 =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
23 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001747.html
30 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001750.html
7 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001760.html
14 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001769.html
21 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001806.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=95993070

   * Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!
Are there important documents we should link to?  Things we should
archive?

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

   * Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

== Announcements ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next release!
* Important dates:
   15 Jun -- 0.3.5 merge window opens.

== Discussion ==

* Finalizing plan to repurpose patch-party time. -nm
* Ratifying some EU/AUS meetup time, to be used as needed? The best
choice for now seems to me like 0700 UTC (== 9am Berlin, 5pm
Brisbane), but maybe I shouldn't be driving this process. -nm
* New rotation to advance proposals via discussions, to replace the
Coverity rotation? -nm
* Are there any wiki notes pages, or pads, that we haven't opened our
tickets for? -nm
* Shall we discuss proposed tickets for the milestone each week?
* Rust build tickets- #25895 needs review/testing, and #25386 now
doesn't have an owner but is high priority.

== Updates ==

komlo: (offline)
Last week:

- Put up an initial POC for #24249 which currently only autogenerates
C constants from a Rust constants file, but can be extended to
structs, enums, etc. I have some questions for others on it, such as
whether this should be an internal or external tool, etc.

- Added clarification to #24265 about what is needed for that ticket
so new people interested in contributing in Rust can pick it up,
please update with any further detail.

This week:

- Will soon start on #26296 which is the refactoring work required
prior to assessing approaches to implementing multi threaded crypto
($1749)

ahf (will be traveling during the meeting time, so offline, please
highlight me if you need anything from me)
Last week:

Misc:

- Returned from Seattle: backlog of email/irc

Sponsor 8:

- Began working on a design for PT error reporting. Talked shortly
with mcs and geko about some expectations from the browser team.

- Wrote a patch for #26270

This week:

    - At the Mozilla All Hands in SF.

asn:

 Last weeks:

 - Debugged #24977 (034 bug) and wrote two different patches for it.

   Feedback might be needed from Nick to help decide which approach to
take (see comment:24).

 - Revised my test OPE branch for #25552 in a way that I think now works fine.

   I've been testing it for the past weeks and it's now working without any

   interruptions. I've been getting more familiar and more comfortable with the

   OPE approach. I heard Roger has some concerns here, but he did not comment

   on the ticket. Please comment on the ticket if so, because we are

   hoping for an early merge on the 035 timeline.

   I still need to fix some broken unittests and do some improvements on the

   branch before it's actually reviewable. The current iteration can be seen in

   my (ope_hax_dev) branch.

 - Coordinated with big provider about potential use of onion services.

 - Did weekly reviews as needed.

 - Did some review and testing of the vanguards script. Made a few PRs and

   opened issues.

 This week:

 - Finalize relevant open 034 tickets (e.g. #24977).

 - Finalize #25552 ticket so that it's ready for early inclusion in 035.

 - Weekly reviews as needed etc.

Nick:
    Last week:
        - Post-Seattle followup
        - Small review and merging
        - Open/close tickets
        - Jetlag recovery :/
    This week:
        - Release 0.3.3.7 and 0.3.4.2-alpha
        - Initial refactoring batch for 0.3.5. Mostly movements in
common, splitting or.h.  Any objections? Should I go smaller? Larger?

        [dgoulet: +1, related, see #26270]

        - Prepare for 0.3.5 merge-window opening
        - Informal meetings with 0.3.5 collaborators
        - Proposal scheduling rotation

dgoulet:
  Last week:
    - Post-Seattle which included recovery.
    - Reviewed my assigned tickets for 034.
    - Not much else to report.
  This week:
    - Focusing on 034 tickets. Tight follow up on my review tickets.
    - Preparing for the 034 merge window, I'll go over #20700 with my notes.
      Ideally, we can get that in early in the merge window.
    - Will also try to start preparing big 035 roadmap items, break them down,
      prepare the work and synchronize with others assigned to them.
    - No rotation for me this week!

haxxpop:
  Last week:
    - Nothing
  This week:
    - Will read the spec of prop279 naming layer api.
    - If the UX of client auth is ready, I will revise my PR.

catalyst:
    last week (2018-W23):
        - travel
        - recovery from travel
        - started to review #3569 (refactor SOCKS parsing) -- this one
might take a while
    this week (2018-W24):
        - code review
        - bookkeeping
        - #25507 (big patches guidelines)
        - #25601 (prevent non-origin connection errors from failing
relay bootstrap)
        - maybe more health insurance annoyances

dmr

last last week

- filed #26228 to get clarity in the tor-spec on how to do padding /
make terminology a bit more consistent

- would like to move this forward; not sure who else might want to
provide input (nickm, teor, arma provided input so far; dgoulet
un-cc'd)

- worked on stem.client code review and architecture notes (#26227,
#26226 respectively)

last week

- worked on stem.client code review and architecture notes (#26227,
#26226 respectively)

- submitted several commits resulting from code review (#26227, see GH
pull request)

- ran through most of the Seattle meeting notes; have some feedback to
provide on...

- mobile CI => "device farm" testing options, e.g.

https://aws.amazon.com/device-farm/

https://firebase.google.com/docs/test-lab/

- macOS CI, if on own hardware, e.g. (so probably not for travis)

https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM

- LTS - relay-op friend mentioned that Debian stable packaging was out
of date for a while, so switched to TPO repo

- question for catalyst regarding modularisation notes from Seattle meeting:

- who do we know is downstream from tor?

- TB, debian, ubuntu (sorta), tails, gentoo, whonix, invizvox, arch,
guardian project, freebsd, ... ? -nm

- got some spec clarifications from teor and asn (thanks!) - tor-spec
and pt-spec respectively

this week

- finish #26227, #26226

- work on transitioning stem.client to new architecture as per
discussions in #26226

- so file tickets and whatnot

- file various 'dev' tickets for stem; fix a few

isis:
    last two weeks:
        - seattle
        - took a couple days off after getting back
        - worked a bit on ed25519-dalek integration on the plane #23886
        - so much email piled up by the time i got back :/
        - prep for all hands meetings this week, making various moz
accounts, signing forms
        - added support for rust linting tools #22156
        - reviewed #26152 #24891 #26259
        - began helping a new contributor with their first patches
    this week:
        - expenses for seattle
        - all hands tonight through saturday morning
        - doing other small tasks in between all hands meetings, hopefully