[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 25 June 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Sun Jul 1 19:27:49 UTC 2018

Whoops!  Sorry for the delay.  Our chat logs are at :


And our pad contents are below:

= Network team meeting pad, 25 Jun 2018 =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
23 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001747.html
30 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001750.html
7 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001760.html
14 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001769.html
21 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001806.html
11 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001828.html
18 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001835.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!

== Announcements ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next release!
* The git master branch is now 0.3.5!

== Discussion ==

Any volunteers for handling backports to stable?

Any volunteers for leading 0.3.5 triage process? (Labeling tickts,
asking people to label tickets, etc)?

How can we help Ooni integrate and test Tor?
(teor added a comment about tor_api.h)
  [I think that ticket may be stale: simone knows about tor_api.h and
has been working with it, IIUC. -nm]

How can we help Ooni integrate and test pluggable transports?
Ooni tests reachability to the default Tor Browser bridge IPs and
ports, but how can they embed the protocols?
   [This is trickier.

At least four ISPs in two countries have blocked most of the January
2018 list of fallbacks.
Do we want to do a fallback rebuild in the next few weeks?
When is our next stable Tor release?
Update Steps: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UpdatingFallbackDirectoryMirrors
Master ticket: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24786
Step 1: Ask Relay Operators to Opt-In:
   [I am fine with doing this on whatever schedule you like. -nm]
   [I have talked with teor, and will handle the rebuild if/when
desired. -phoul]
   Roger's thoughts: "if it's easy to make a new list, let's try it"
   "if they block the new list, we've learned something"
   "oh i wonder how tor behaves when half its fallbackdir list is
blocked. like, do we have to throw out the existing ones,
in order to give people a list that isn't half blocked in india
andvenezuela? that would be sad"
   [Clients need >30% of the list to be unblocked to bootstrap reliably.
   Currently 97% of the list is blocked at one of the ISPs.
   So if we can get 50 new or rotated fallbacks, let's update the list.
   We have 13 new or changed fallbacks on #24805.
   We could get up to 35 rotated fallbacks from large operators in the
existing whitelist.
   (If we aim for 200 fallbacks rather than 150, we can bump to 200 *
5% = 10 per operator and get 15 extra fallbacks from large operators.)
   Let's see if we can get ~40 more relays opted-in by emailing
tor-relays and large operators? -teor]

Or should we write blog posts / tweets / etc. about bridges?
(Or both?)
   [Both seems good. -nm]

What are next steps on SimonHF's "trace" proposal?

== Updates ==

    * Last week:
        * Split roughly half of src/common into src/libs (#26481) per
refactoring  plan (https://pad.riseup.net/p/cJUbdx0c7IzM-keep).  My
goal is to have src/common completely gone in 0.3.5, replaced by a set
of libraries.
        * Review and merge various stuff
        * Solved #25386 (rust linking), except not really. :/
        * Worked on open appveyor issues
        * Wrote a utility to handle changing moving include files and
automatically fixing up whatever uses them.
        * Made "src" the top of our include path.  Now one includes
"or/or.h" rather than or.h.
        * Wrote a utility to make sure that modules aren't including
other modules when they shouldn't.
    * This week:
        * Get 26479 and 26480 (appveyor failures) fixed so I can
        * Release
        * Prepare for an release
        * Continue refacatoring src/common
        * Make the dependencies in src/libs acyclic.
        * Plan an order of operations for splitting src/or.
        * Open tickets about remaining cases of #25386 (sanitizers, rustdoc).
        * Document src/lib.
        * Make requested post-merge cleanup changes in src/lib structure.

    * Offline this Monday for a holiday!

isis (offline):
    last week:
        - still very sick
        - travelled to england for a wedding and was even more sick
there, took wednesday through friday off mostly
        - worked on the PQ KEX spec and worked out lowering the number
of error correcting codes #24990
        - reviewed #25386 #24249 #26196
        - some maintenance on the bridge authority, started looking
into getting a new server racked
    this week:
        - offline monday to travel back from europe
        - taking tuesday through thursday off to attend the zcash
meetings and conference in montréal
        - probably 50% around tuesday through friday to do work and be online
        - maybe taking friday off because i'm not sure how useful i
can be after that much travel and i'm also still sick

komlo (offline):
    last week:
        - Sumitted some ideas for #24249 (Create automated mechanism
for C/Rust types to stay in sync); would appreciate others thoughts
    this week:
        - I have a few public talks coming up so will focus on getting
those done and then will be back to more tor things.

haxxpop (offline):
    last week:
        - nothing
    this week:
        - Read dgoulet's review on client auth and revise the PR
according to the comments

teor (offline):
    last week:
        - tried to work out why 0.3.3 breaks on cygwin (#26460) and
SunOS (#26469)
        - read (some of) The Unicode Standard, and made the UTF-8 spec
in prop#285 more precise (#26457)
        - Worked with juga to spec MaxAdvertisedBandwidth (#8494)
        - Other small bwauth suggestions and feedback
        - General ticket herding
        - Started a final experimental PrivCount data collection
        - Final report, contract admin, transition planning, etc.
    this week:
        - Move an experimental PrivCount node
        - Finish and analyse the final experimental PrivCount data collection
        - Final report, contract admin, transition planning, etc.
        - Do some more work on PrivCount in Tor, if I get time

 Last weeks:
 - Went travelling. Was fun.
 - Revised #25552.
 - Pushed torspec branch to #26379.
 - Pinged my contact about DV certs for onions.
 This week:
 - Catch up with backlog
 - Do reviews.
 - Finalize #25552.
 - Start planning for 035 work and deliverables.

    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Worked on better process handling for #25502 - looked into what
              is needed to do what I think is needed on all our platforms
              including Windows.
                  - Looked at mio/miow from the Rust people.
                  - Tried to write a small IOCP backend for libevent
that fakes "readiness" in the same way that Mio does it.
            - Coverity duty: Lots of issues found. A lot of them are fixed in
              #26467, but two "classes" of bugs remain unfixed. Would like some
              help to figure out what the issue is there.
            - CI duty: Thanks to Nick and Taylor for diving into the Rust issue!
            - Wrote a very minimal Sandbox for MacOS (#26374) in
                - Got introduced to the build process of Tor Browser.
            - Investigated Sandbox options for Windows.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Continue with development of process handling code for #25502
            - Finish off two remaining classes of Coverity issues for #26467.
            - Review: #17873, #24104, #24546.
            - Rotation roles: Community Hero.

    last week (2018-W25):
        - fought with flaky internet connection
        - with Nick, tried to fix a lot of issues related to tests in
the crypto crate that were causing CI to fail
        - made some progress on the big patches doc, with Nick
    this week (2018-W26):
        - CI rotation
        - more work on big patches doc
        - more Rust build fixes
        - code reviews
        - does someone more familiar with trunnel want to swap reviews
on #3569 (refactor SOCKS parsing)?
        [Nick will]

  last week:
    - Updated and rebased #26214
    - Tried to sign up for PETS, failed (banned by paypal, even over nontor)
    - Signed up for account for sending sponsor2 report
    - Began enumerating work items for said report
    - Still clearing the decks from vacation, etc (travel went longer
than expected)
  this week:
    - Figure out sponsor2 report; decide how much more to try to get
done before submitting it
    - Figure out PETS booking + research blog post topics
    - For real set up vanguard perf experiments


this week:

- atagar and I would like to move #26197 forward (automatic mirroring
to3 stem repo on github)

More information about the tor-project mailing list