[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 7 May 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Mon May 7 18:29:43 UTC 2018

Hi, everybody!

We had yet another network team meeting.

You can find the transcript at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-05-07-16.58.html

The contents of our pad are below:
============
= Network team meeting pad, 7 May 2018 =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
5 March: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-March/001685.htmlyy
26 March: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-March/001695.html
3 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001705.html
9 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001723.html
16 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001739.html
23 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001747.html
30 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001750.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210

* Check reviewer assignments at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=95993070

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

== Announcements ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.

* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.

* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
0.3.4.x work.

* Important dates:
    * May 15, 2018 -- 0.3.4.x feature freeze!  1 WEEK LEFT.

OUR BIG PRIORITY SHOULD BE TO GET ALL FEATURES IN FOR 034 BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

 Lets not wait for the review assignement sheet for any of those or
roadmap items.

And remember, "It's fine to defer!"

* Remember: don't spend more than a day working on anything that isn't
on the 033 or 034 milestones.

== Discussion ==

* #25960, last comment by teor, "decide whether to put the small or
the large version of this ticket on the roadmap" regarding the
"Bandwidth List" format
(https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/25960#comment:9).

== Updates ==

teor:
    Last week:
        * bandwidth spec and code reviews
        * rewrote the experimental privcount plot command
        * final data collections
    This week:
        * leave for a week and a half

mike:
  Last week:
    * Discussions and meetings about domain fronting issues.
    * Reviewed #25903, #25914, and #25995
    * Ticket triage
    * Prop #291 discussion
    * Log message for #25705 (
    * Fixed up #25870 (vanguard restrictions)
    * Tested and tweaked vanguard script
  This week:
    * Help get last of 034 vanguard helper patches merged
    * Continue testing vanguard script; write unit tests and packaging
    * Continue 2 guard discussion/analysisq

asn:
 Last week:
 - Reviewed #25552: prop224: Onion service rev counters are useless
and actually harmful for scalability
 - Reviewed #23107: prop224: Optimize hs_circ_service_get_intro_circ()
digest calculation
 - Reviewed #25870: Fix vanguard restrictions
 - Reviewed #25997, #25996.
 - Did some debugging in #25761: hs: Reload signal (HUP) doesn't
remove a disabled service
 - Did an initial review of haxxpop's client auth branch: #20700.
 - Discussed hsv3 client authorization:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-May/013155.html
 - Discussed 2-guard proposal again:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-May/013162.html
 - Triaged some of my tickets out of 034.
 This week:
 - More work on #25761.
 - More work on #25552
 - More work on client auth and #20700.
 - More work on vanguards and 2-guard proposal.

haxxpop
 Last week:
  - Discussed hsv3 client authorization:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-May/013155.html
 This week:
  - Re-publish the descriptor if the client auth config changes via SIGHUP
  - Revise hsv3 torspec to specify how the users configure hsv3 client
authorization
  - Try to finalize if we want to use prefix in client auth
private/public keys or not

Nick:
    Last week:
        - More 1/sec refactoring on #25375. Now, there is nothing that
needs to happen 1/sec when the network is disabled!
        - Reviewed lots and lots of branches.
        - Deprecated 0.2.5
        - Gave a Tor lecture for an MIT class.
        - Debugged Tor working with libressl.
        - Tried to help with fallout from some travis-breaking merges.
These should happen less and less as we get more travis tests into
master.
        - Did community advocate role. Didn't actually achieve much.
Maybe I wasn't seeing the right opportunities :/
        - More #25908 (test coverage determinism) work to improve
coveralls utility.
    This week:
        - Finish the 0.3.4 portion of #25375: actually disable the
1/sec callback when the net is off.
        - Check whether we're ready to merge TROVE-2018-005.
        - Review and merge even more pending branches.
        - Close smaller 0.3.4 issues, preferring those on the roadmap.
        - Backport 0.3.3 items.
        - Prepare for 0.3.4 alpha and 0.3.3 stable to come out next week (!?)
        - Bug triage rotation.
        - Begin triage on 0.3.4 tickets.
        - Revise bwauth format spec, if teor and juga and pastly want
me to. (I'm also happy for you to make any subset of the changes I
suggested; I trust your judgment.)

juga:
    Last week:

     - more "bwauth format spec" revisions

- worked on #25947, #25960, #26004, #26007

    This week:

     - more "bwauth format spec"

- refactor for #25960

- other things depending on the spec

Can not be at the meeting, but it would be great if people can discuss
what i added in "Disscusion".

I'll read backlog around 19:00 UTC and answer questions in #tor-dev.

Always happy if nickm review spec

dgoulet (Will miss the meeting):
  Last week:
    - Worked (mostly review) with nickm on #25500 child tickets.
    - Closed down roadmap item #25494. Dirauth modularization was merged
      upstream with #25610 \o/. Not perfect but a good step forward.
    - Patch work for #25552 HSv3 problem which took lots of discussion with
      teor/asn. It is in merge_ready for 034.
    - Reviewed ffmancera circuit cannibalization patch #25118.
  This week:
    - Work on roadmap item #25500 child tickets so we can get them upstream
      before freeze with nickm.
    - Review++ on 034 features as needed. I have on my radar #25647 (wide
      CREATE cell encoding from isis).
    - Will do a review pass on haxxpop's HSv3 client auth branch.
    - Address, as a priority, anything that comes up with #25552 (roadmap
      item) so we can get it upstream before next week.
    - If no 034 features need my attention, I'll start on 034 bug squashing.
      We already have plenty that needs fixing just for HSv3.

catalyst:
    last week (2018-W17):
        - reviewed #15015 (--verify-config port binding). closed as
worksforme after multiple failures to replicate
        - started to review #25549 (appveyor CI)
        - finished tests and patches for #25756 (make early-consensus
detection more reasonable). unsurprisingly, the tests took most of the
time and the actual behavior change was almost trivial to implement.
        - looked at some coverage flapping issues
        - helped a little with the rust distcheck CI
        - looked at #25061 some more
        - IRC moderation stuff
    this week (2018-W18):
        - CI rotation
        - #25061
        - reviews

ahf
    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
        - Wrote an additional patch for #25991.
        - Reviewed: #25990, #25991.
        - Went over our HS perf. data and tried to clean it up.
        Misc:
        - Reviewed: #17949, #17873.
        - Booked flights for SF for Mozilla All Hands.
        - Coverity duty: not much to report here.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
        - Work on idle interface: #25499 + its children for 0.3.4.
        Misc:
        - Review #24732, more review of #17873
        - Community hero role!

isis:
    last week:
        - revised #24660
        - finished wide create(d) cell parsing/handling #25647
        - fixed a couple things i did in #24660 that broke some things
#26024 #26025
        - fixed bridgedb because there was a stem issue where it
didn't handle errors when trying to parse ed25519 certs with the year
491869 #26023
        - reviewed #25903 and #25936
        - re-booked my Seattle flight (the frickin airline couldn't
charge my card for some reason and then didn't see fit to tell me)
    this week:
        - fixing up a leak in a test for #25647
        - wide extend cell handling #25651
        - maybe wrapping the create(d)2v cells in extend2 cells if i
get to it #25650
        - working out paystub/employment verification stuff for an
apartment i'm trying to get
        - revising the TROVE-2018-005 patches

pastly:
    last week:
        - More testing and fixing of switch-to-http branch of sbws.
Not much to report
        - Some person came and told us on a GH issue that there's no
way sbws should ignore self-reported bandwiths but couldn't dumb it
down enough for us to digest.
https://github.com/pastly/simple-bw-scanner/issues/150
    this week:
        Seattle travel paperwork
    note:
        I'll have very limited availability Thurs May 10 to Mon May
14; also on Sat May 19.