[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 18 June 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Jun 19 01:24:39 UTC 2018

Hi!

You can see the chat logs at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-06-18-16.59.html

Our weekly meeting notes are below.

= Network team meeting pad, 18 Jun 2018 =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
23 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001747.html
30 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001750.html
7 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001760.html
14 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001769.html
21 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001806.html
11 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001828.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=95993070

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should
archive?

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!

== Announcements ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next release!
* The git master branch is now 0.3.5!

== Discussion ==

* From last week: Rust build tickets- #25895 needs review/testing
(Catalyst is reviewing again), and #25386 now doesn't have an owner
but is high priority. (NM is taking it on for a bit.)
* How aggressive should we be with our code-movement refactoring stuff?

== Updates ==

Nick:
    Last week:
        - Released new 0.3.4 and 0.3.3 versions
        - Opened the 0.3.5 branch
        - Wrote up plan for refactoring Tor's layout, in a first step
towards modularity: https://pad.riseup.net/p/cJUbdx0c7IzM-keep
        - Made a little progress on fixing up Rust testing issues,
thereby making our CI fail. :)
        - Did a big branch to split (most of) our structures out of
or.h, as a first step in the refactoring thing. (#26383)
    This week:
        - Work on #25386 (rust test linking thing)
        - Try to advance "big patches" thing w/ Taylor.
        - Revise refactoring plan based on comments, and (I hope)
begin splitting src/common
        - Try to learn the state of wtf-pad
        - Try to learn the state of wide create work.  Maybe code some?
        - 0.3.5 ticket triage
        - Community friend rotation

ahf:
    Last week:
        - Went to Mozilla all hands meeting in SF.
        - Looked at some s4 documents we wrote at the end of the
sponsor period for Isa.
        - Looked at MacOS sandboxing after meeting the Mozilla sandbox
people (created #26374)
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Flesh out plan for PT error reporting. Talk with the
application team and the guardian project if the plan sounds good to
them.
        Misc:
            - Catch up on review backlog.
            - Do post-travel expenses after Seattle and Mozilla all hands
            - CI and Coverity duty (switched with asn last week)

Mike:
    Last week:
        - vacation
    This week:
        - Figure out PETS travel
        - Catch up on email
        - Catch up on trac tickets?
        - Vanguard performance experiments
        - Vanguard packagaing

dgoulet:
  Last week:
    - Reviewed #20700. I'm not done, pretty big ticket (HSv3 client auth).
    - Started review on nickm refactoring (#26383). I should be done soon.
    - Mostly reviewed 034 tickets.
    - Discussed with asn the #24977 solution. We had a back and forth
      review/revision already on it.
  This week:
    - Continue ticket assigned to me in 034. But as a priority, #26383 since
      it is a BIG refactoring. #20700 review for early 035 merge. Then
      outstanding HSv3 open bugs (#24977 and #25552)
    - Authenticated SENDMEs (#26288 - prop289), I would like to go over the
      proposal to see if it is ready to be implemented (in theory it is I
      believe). Ideally, we get an early merge on that as well.
    - I'm not on any rotation this week.

catalyst:
    last week (2018-W24):
        - looked over the or.h refactoring proposal a little
        - tried to fix the rust tests (#26245, #25386, #25378)
        - reviewed #25895 (Rust cross compilation)
    this week (2018-W25):
        - code review
        - #25507 (big contributions) with Nick
        - more work on #25386/#26378 (rust test linking) -- maybe we
want to disable the problem test for now?

komlo (offline):
    - Last Week

- Continued to investiage #24249 (automated mechanism for type
syncing), working on a comparison of our options for this week

- Reviewed #26220. I will create a ticket for a community wiki page
where we can track infrastructure community projects such as this per
discussion with Roger.

- Chatted with ahf and sysrqb about looking at libcontainer as an
option for sandboxing across platforms. More investigation about
current/future support for Windows is needed.

- This week:

- See above about todos from last week

asn:
 [Currently travelling. Won't be at meeting today! :)]
 Last weeks:
 - Wrote code for #24977 (034 ticket)
 - Wrote code for #25552 (035 ticket).
 - Fixed small 034 ticket #26358.
 - Did code reviews (#26283, #26272).
 - Continued communication with large onion provider.
 This week:
 - Finalize any other 034 tickets under my name (i don't think there are any)
 - Do #26379.
 - Do reviews.

isis:
    last week:
        - mozilla all hands & meetings with rust people
        - did some hackerone and trac triage
        - reviewed #24249 #26378 #26245 #26152 #25269
        - fixed some minor rust issues #26245 #26267
    this week:
        - going back to the large create cell mine #25651
        - traveling all day tuesday, mostly working offline
        - taking friday afternoon off to attend a wedding