[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 30 April 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Apr 30 20:38:43 UTC 2018

Hi, all!  Logs from this week's meeting are available at


Below is a copy of our notes!

= Network team meeting pad, 30 April 2018 =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them
in *boldface*!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
5 March:
26 March:
3 April:
9 April:
16 April:
23 April:

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Check rotations at

== Announcements ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.

* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.

* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing 0.3.4.x

* Important dates:
    * May 1, 2018 -- 0.2.5 is no longer supported:

    * May 15, 2018 -- 0.3.4.x feature freeze!  3 WEEKS LEFT.


   - * Lets not wait for the review assignement sheet for any of those or
   roadmap items.*

* Remember: don't spend more than a day working on anything that isn't on
the 033 or 034 milestones.

* juga is working on bandwidth measurement for Tor's Summer of Privacy.

== Discussion ==

* Should 0.3.4 be a long-term support release?  How do we pick our next

   - Can we just tell Debian to use it as a LTS? What about other
   platforms? - teor

* Are we ready to release 0.3.3? -NM

   - [dgoulet] We should get the TROVE finalized. Apart from that, I think
   it is.

   - [ahf] I still have #25245 open, I do have a patch to do some
   diagnostics, but it's very annoying to reproduce locally. It's marked
   priority = very high, but I don't know if we think it's a blocker?

== Updates ==

 [Migh be off for May 1st excursion at the time of the meeting.]
 Last week:
 - Reviewed and helped with #25870. This is complex stuff! To better
   the ticket, I wrote some initial unittests for path selection for normal
   exit circuits and vanguards. They are still quite simple but they can be
   basis of something good.
 - Pushed bugfixes and features to the vanguard simulator (#23978) based on
Mike's testing.
 - Reviewed #23693.
 - Provided feedback to the 2-guard proposal thread.
 - Gave a bit of testing to haxxpop's v3 client auth branch. Seems to work!
   also motivated some more people to try it out and find bugs. Next step
is to
   find time for code review. We are hoping for 035 inclusion.
 - Discussed v3 intro auth with haxxpop.
 - Wrote patch for #25843 and got it merged.
 - Replied to "[tor-dev] onion v2 deprecation plan?" thread.
 - Suggested some tasks to our ahmia SoP student.
 This week:
 - Continue discussion on the 2-guard proposal thread. We are doing good
 - Discuss with Mike what's needed next for the vanguard simulator.
 - Triage tickets out of 034 with my name that I don't have time for. Most
   them were the result of 033 -> 034 triaging.
 - Hopefully find some time for #25552.

  - Reviewed #24734, wrote a couple fixups forit.
  - Worked on #25870 (vanguard path restrictions) with asn.
  - Proposal 291 mailinglist posts (enumerated 8 properties defenses have
and developed one that got all of them)
  - Refined #25903 (CIRC_BW events that help check for dropped-cell side
channels); updated vanguard repo to use them; tested them.
  - Reviewed #25843 (NumEntryGuards param). asn - are you sure that it is
influencing our dirguards? it looks like no.

    last week (2018-W17):
        - investigated some unexplained test coverage fluctuations revealed
by coveralls.io
        - opened #25908 to stabilize test coverage. thanks nickm for doing
some inital data gathering!
        - more call stack analysis for #25061
        - deferred #25061 to 034
        - reviewed #19429 (compatibility with openssl-1.1 no-deprecated)
        - patch for #25936 (display test-suite.log from the correct
location when doing a distcheck build in travis)
        - worked on #25756 (relax timestamp tolerance for early consensus)
    this week (2018-W18):
        - finish #25756
        - write some summary of investigations to date on #25061
        - reviews
        - other 033, 034 bug fixes as needed

    * Last week:
        * collecting privacy-preserving statistics is still time-consuming
        * Bandwidth file spec revisions, we should have tested it with tor
first :-)
        * Continued to help with bandwidth measurement (sbws)
        * A few code and spec reviews
        * CC'd specific people about old trac milestones
    * This week:
        * Analyse the last collection results
        * Configure and schedule the next collection(s)
        * Start writing up & reviewing others' write-ups
        * Try to keep up with the bandwidth stuff

  Last week:
    * Fixed tickets (see Timeline).
    * Reviwed and worked on #25500 child tickets with nickm.
    * Finalized dirauth modularization with #25610, working with ahf on
      It is in needs_review and a biggy!
    * The annoying warning on 034 has been fixed! #25577
  This week:
    * Continue on #25500 child tickets with nickm.
    * Prioritize #25610 if a review comes in.
    * Depending on the two things above goes, I can get on the roadmap item
      #25552 (HSDir rev counter issue) or the wide CREATE cell work
    * Name of the game for me until the freeze in 15 days is to prioritize
      patches and features for 034 on our roadmap.

    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
        - Went over data submission for our Onion Service speed test and
          ensured everything was running OK.
        - Worked with David on going over the dir auth module code.
        - Submitted patch for #25953.
        - Reviewed: #25812 & #17949.
        - CI duty.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
        - Help out if there is some changes we need to do to the split
dirauth patches
        - Move to look at the network idleness code if possible.
        - Coverity duty.
        - Talk with Mozilla about all hands logistics.

    Last week:
        * Wrote several patches to move things out of the
second_elapsed_callback() and run_scheduled_events() functions, including
#25931 (consdiffmgr_rescan), #25932 (various cleanup-and-close functions),
#25949 (delayed signewnym), #25937 (dirvote actions), #25933 (attach
pending). Also did #25927 in prep for reforming how we handle
approx_time(). Tracking all of these at
https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-client-cpu and under #25375
        * Merged a bunch of merge_ready items
        * Reviewed a bunch of quick and not-so-quick patches
        * PETS discussions
        * Coverity duty : nothing seems to have happened.
    This week:
        * Deprecate 0.2.5.x
        * Community advocate
        * More hacking on moving things out of second_elapsed_callback()
and friends (#25375)
        * Review #25610 (modularizing dirvote code)
        * Review #25869 (bandwidth doc format spec)
        * Ask packagers about LTS preferences

    last week:
        - finished setting up appveyor (per developer windows CI) for tor
        - debugged a few windows test failures #25942 #25943 #25944
        - powershell is terrible
        - reviewed #24630
        - did ticket triage several times
        - commented on some github.com/rust-lang tickets regarding bool FFI
        - made some progress on wide create cells #25647 #25650 25653
    next week:
        - more wide create cell stuff
        - revising a couple tickets #24660 #25549
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/attachments/20180430/d0536021/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the tor-project mailing list