[tor-project] Notes from network team meeting, 21 May 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue May 22 14:13:24 UTC 2018


Meeting logs are available at:


Notes are below:

= Network team meeting pad, 21 May 2018 =

  "I am satisfied the usage of passing acts of Parliament for the
taking upon one a surname is but modern; and that any one may take
upon him what surname, and as many surnames as he pleases, without an
act of Parliament." - Sir Joseph Jekyll, Barlow v Bateman, 1730

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
23 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001747.html
30 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001750.html
7 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001760.html
14 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-May/001769.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Check rotations at

== Announcements ==

* No online team meeting next week! (US Holiday)

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.

* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.

* Important dates:
    * May 30, 2018 -- hackfest!

* Remember: don't spend more than a day working on anything that isn't
on the 033 or 034 milestones.

* See hackfest pad at https://pad.riseup.net/p/0RxS2ZcRe9Eb for ....
    - scheduling meetings with nickm and isa!
    - prep-work that isa and nick (and maybe you) should do before the meeting
    - the list of people, which is the only even quasi-sensitive thing

== Discussion ==

== Updates ==

    Last week:
        - Release
        - Got appveyor branch working -- what are my next steps?
#25549 [catalyst: see my updates for something we want to consider]
        - Triaged some 0.3.4.x tickets away
        - Worked out list of things to prepare before the meeting
        - Worked on a few OSS-Fuzz issues that turned out to be a
minor openssl problem. Our side of it turned into #26116
        - Started work on ChangeLog/Releasenotes for
    This week:
        - Release as stable.  Any blockers?
            - Maybe the crash in #25957, but it looks hard to diagnose
        - Prepare for Seattle discussions.
        - Hunt bugs in 0.3.4.x.
        - Gonna take Friday off, I hope! Monday too! (US holiday)

    last week (2018-W20):
        - coverity rotation -- uneventful
        - researched some EINTR and SA_RESTART stuff related to #26040
        - more work on #25061 (adding test coverage for stuff that
wasn't tested before)
        - filed #26142 (use C99 inttypes.h macros for U64 etc.)
        - briefly looked at #25549 again. looks like good progress so
far. #26076 might be an intermittent failure? it would help to squash
stuff into more readily reviewable chunks. #25942 seems ready but is
effectively part of #25549
        - maybe we should decide whether to merge #25549 anyway and
deal with #25942 if it happens often enough to be ananoying? (it's
okay with me -nick)
        - helped Nick proofread the 0.3.4 ChangeLog
        - did a few small string handling exercises in Rust. read a
little about how Rust does async things
        - maybe talk about some architecture stuff at this week's
patch party (Nick, teor, komlo, isis?)
    this week (2018-W21):
        - community advocate
        - more #25061
        - code review
        - prep for Seattle hackfest
        - some possibly time-consuming urgent home maintenance

    last week:
        - collect data, analyse data, write paper
        - keep up with bandwidth authority work
    this week:
        - analyse data, write paper
        - prepare for Seattle
        - travel to Seattle

    last week:
        - Refactored vanguards scripts to make them easier to test,
package, etc. Registered repo with travis+coveralls
        - Wrote tons of tests for vanguards repo. 91% coverage!1
        - Wrote config file and options parsing for vanguards repo.
        - Fell into python-import-loop hades, slayed a hydra-like
beast, called the outer gods out on some bullshit, and returned to
        - Whie testing, discovered that BUILDTIMEOUT_SET was reporting
incorrect stats. Wrote patch (#26121)
        - Tried to help improve CIRC_BW field spec. Maybe succeeded? (#26110)
        - Reviewed Nick's fix for handling malformed connected cells
in #26072 (thanks Nick)
        - Realized that #26072 meant that CIRC_BW bandwidth field
accounting needed a slight change (#26117
        - Read and commented on asn's work on vanguard params in
#25545 - looks good! Thanks asn!
    this week
        - Document vanguards config options and other things in the README
        - Get vanguards repo pip/deb package-ready

    - working on preparation for Seattle:

    - anti-censorship update

    - prep work for retrospective

    - prep work for roadmap

    - organized slots for 1:1:1 in seattle


 Last week:

 - Fixed a few bugs on the vanguard simulator that were impacting the results

   (#25545), and also merged a few patches from Mike.

   Produced graphs and did an analysis to guide the final vanguard topology.

   You can read the analysis here:


 - Reviewed and revised #25947 and #25960. Waiting for ACK from juga
before merge_ready.

 - Peaked a bit into #26022 and validated Karsten's bug.

 - Drafted response to big provider who wants to start using v3 onions.

 - Got up to date about SSL DV certs for v3 onions. A document is being drafted

   and I got in touch with the authors.

 - Gave some feedback on #23247.

 - Assigned weekly reviews

 - Community hero work:

   + Spoke with researchers who want to do a "darkweb study" and informed them

     of previous such work.

   + Helped potenial volunteer in IRC understand torguts and review rotations.

   + Communicated with haxxpop about client auth work. Answered some emails but

     didn't manage to do good progress. Hoping to continue this week.

 This week:

 - More work on remaining vanguard stuff.

 - Get up to date with client auth work by haxxpop.

 - Start organizing 0.3.5 work.

 - Talk with big provider about v3 integration.

   Last week:
       - Wrote the test for republishing a descriptor when SIGHUP
       - Refactor the code according to asn's comments
   This week:
       - Probably work with asn to find a UX design for client auth

    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Made a simple snooze hook for #25497 for Orbot to disable
              network. Testing on own device now to see if it makes a
              difference or causes problems.
            - Review of #17873 and got Nick to do some additional reviewing.
              Some discussion on IRC about this fix too.
            - Went over all the tickets in Core Tor with missing milestone and
              tried to triage them.
            - Think I have everything ready for the Seattle meeting \o/

    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Standardize our S8 reporting metrics for event loop returns, CPU
              usage, and memory usage for reporting for Isa, ideally so that
              there is just some reports ready for Isa to pull when
she needs them.
            - Might be away Friday.
            - Give (hopefully) final OK to #17873

    last week:
        - dealt with some small rust changes we needed as
prerequisites to doing any of our crypto stuff in rust #26106 #26107
#26108 #26109
        - re-reviewed the appveyor progress #25942 #25549
        - worked on the ffi for optionally using ed25519-dalek #23886
        - did more of the wide extend stuff based on nickm's
review/suggestions #25651
        - took most of thursday and all of friday off to move
    this week:
        - hopefully finishing up the wide extend cells #25651
        - getting to the sending wide creates/extends #25649
        - i moved to a new house!  it does not have internet yet,
because lasers.  if you urgently need my attention, please feel
absolutely free to signal me, it will definitely be the fastest/most
reliable way to reach me.

More information about the tor-project mailing list