[tor-project] Network Team Meeting Notes, 23 July 2018

teor teor at riseup.net
Mon Jul 30 07:49:07 UTC 2018


Here are the network team meeting notes for 23 July 2018.

Sorry for the delay, a few of us were away last week.

= Network team meeting pad! =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
11 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001828.html
18 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001835.html
25 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001863.html
2 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001866.html
9 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001884.html
16 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001888.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are there important documents we should link to?  Things we should archive?

* Check rotations at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!  [but see discussion] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~035-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&order=priority

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work for the next releases

---- 23 July 2018

== Announcements ==

* This week is PETS; a bunch of us are away.
* Sponsors 3 and Q are full up. Please don't bill more hours to them.
* Privcount work is now sponsor V IIUC.

== Discussion ==

komlo: Would someone who is attending PETS be able to do a session/shoutout for our research posts? https://blog.torproject.org/tors-open-research-topics-2018-edition and  https://blog.torproject.org/how-do-effective-and-impactful-tor-research and

== Updates ==

    * Last week:
        * Worked on NSS: Made progress on RSA. Didn't finish.
        * Helped discuss 295 a little
        * Revised various tickets
        * Review, merge, etc
        * Prepared for PETS
        * CI rotation: Fixed a couple of bugs, and investigated open coverity issues. Found a solution template for the division-by-zero thing; wrote a proposed patch to change the behavior of BUG() under coverity.
    * This week:
        * At PETS.

    * Last week:
        * Wrapped up vanguards addon, wrote blog post, monitored it
        * Wrote research post
        * Helped Chelsea with a second research post based on her talk at Waterloo
        * Did some code review
    * This week:
        * Try to implement requested features of vanguards addon (bridge compatibility, excludenodes compatibility, deb pkgs)
        * Can anyone help me with deb packages + getting vanguards into our deb repo?
        * Update the two guards proposal.

ahf (on vacation during the meeting):
    * Last week:
        - Vacation + at hope.
    * This week:
        - return from HOPE and get back to s8 tasks.

teor (offline):
   last week:
       - prop#295 - improved relay crypto
         - reviewed proposal
           - https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-July/013331.html
         - tor-spec fixes related to the proposal (#26869)
       - tor-spec and cell padding (#26228, #26871)
       - Bwauth work
         - Bwauth code and spec reviews and fixes (#26740, #3723, #26851)
         - Try to validate sbws bandwidth measurements
         - Let's make a debian package for sbws, even if it's not ideal (#26848)
       - CI
         - Tried to work out why Travis builds are leaving a coredump behind (#26787/#26788)
         - SKIP some failing tests on Windows (#26830, #26853)
       - Support tor on OS X 10.9, because that's what Tor Browser supports (#26876)
       - Other Ticket Reviews (#17873)
   this week:
       - I'm on coverity/CI duty this week
         - coverity appears up to date (thanks ahf, nickm)
         - I'll be watching CI to see if #26830, #26853, and #26787/#26788 work
       - Book Mexico travel
       - Work out timesheets
       - Fix and test an onion service ed25519 id mismatch bug (#26627)
       - Finish PrivCount in Tor blinding and secret sharing branch (#25669)
         - work out what to do about Rust i128 miscompilation
    if I get time:
       - Implement PrivCount in Tor noise (#26637)
         - Work out if I need to test C code from Rust (#26398)
       - Work on a per-relay / per-consensus / per-counter noise spec for PrivCount in Tor (part of #25153)
       - Reduce my other review and revision backlogs

 Last week:
 - Was at HOPE. Talked to many people. Did all the things.
 - Helped Isa with the onion proposal.
 - Finalized #25552 branch. It's now merged.
 - Reviewed #26437, #26780, #26712.
 - Finalized and published vanguard blog post with Mike.
 - Found a few HSv3 bugs with David.
 This week:
 - Attend PETS. Give rump session talk about the latest research blog posts.
 - Move forward with things decided and discussed during HOPE.
 - Do some triaging of the HSv3 bugs found with David during HOPE.
 - Help Isa more with funding proposals?

    last week (2018-W29):
        - bug triage rotation
        - reviewed #26787 (Travis CI unexpected corefile during distcheck)
        - reviewed #26485 (warn relay ops about weird version strings)
        - reviewed relay crypto prop#295 again
        - reviewed some of teor's spec changes relating to prop#295
        - wrote more spec changes in response to finding existing spec ambiguities while reviewing prop#295
    this week (2018-W30):
        - code reviews
        - more progress on prop#295 and large patches doc

   last week
      - helped out a bit with various tor-spec tickets: #26870, #26228, #26871 [kinda], #26859, #26860
      - filed an IP-address-not-scrubbed ticket: #26882
      - debugged a bit for #26709
   this week
      - actually post log for #26709
      - follow up a bit more on spec tickets
      - probably a few more bookkeeping things

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: Message signed with OpenPGP
URL: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/attachments/20180730/500a8d72/attachment.sig>

More information about the tor-project mailing list