[tor-project] Tor Browser team meeting notes, 30 July 2018
gk at torproject.org
Mon Jul 30 21:08:00 UTC 2018
Our weekly Tor Browser meeting finished a couple of hours ago. Here come
the meeting notes. The IRC log can be found at:
The entries from our pad are:
Monday July 30, 2018
-storm vs. some etherpad [GeKo: We try to figure out first if we can
solve storm issues server-side/by cutting the meeting notes from the
-github coordinator for the team? (see:
[GeKo: We might want to have more disucssion on tbb-dev first before
-next meeting [GeKo: 8/13 will be the next one]
-reviews (most importantly related to #26401 and Tor Browser for
Mobile, e.g. #26528)
-went deeper down the rabbit hole of indeterminism caused by rust
>= 1.26 (#26475); still need to go deeper :(
-made progress on network code review (#22176)
-finally sent feedback to fingerprint randomization paper which is
the basis for the GSoC project Arthur and I are mentoring
-more work on #26475
-more network code review (#22176)
-work on #26409 (language prompt is shown twice)
-releases? [GeKo: We move both meeting to the week from 8/13 to
finish remaining pieces]
-begin of the month admin stuff
-PSA: I have to be AFK from 8/2-8/12, alas (this is one of the
things I could not postpone as the planning for it where already done
before Mozilla moved the ESR release, I am sorry for that)
- attended PETS
- made patch for #26861 (Bump available ulimit in runc container
- worked on #26981 (Update marionette_driver used in
tbb-testsuite for esr60)
- started reviewing the patches from sisbell integrating android
build into tor-browser-build
- filled an upstream binutils ticket for #26148
- fix the testsuite for Tor Browser 8.0
- some reviews, if needed
mcs and brade:
- Attended the sandboxing futures meeting (Mark).
- Worked on #25695: Activity 5.1: Redesign Tor Browser homepage
- Created three child tickets to track implementation.
- Posted a patch for the first child ticket: #26960 (implement new
about:tor start page).
- Spent a little time on #26514 (intermittent updater failures on
Win64 (Error 19)).
- Tried to build ESR52 updater using ESR60 mingw-w64 toolset but
the build failed.
- Georg gave us a possible fix for the build, so now we can try again.
This week or soon:
- Rebuild and test the result for #26514 (intermittent updater
failures on Win64 (Error 19)).
- Fix #26985 (Tor Launcher help button icons missing).
- Make the simple text change suggested in #25509 (misleading proxy
prompt in Tor Launcher).
- Start on #26961 (implement new user onboarding).
- Review our notes from #22074 (undocumented bugs since FF52esr) and
file additional tickets if necessary.
- Revisit #26381 (about:tor page does not load on first start in
localized Windows bundle).
- After the Tor Browser nightly builds include the network team's
fix for #26876, do some testing for #26251 (Adapt macOS snowflake
compilation to new toolchain).
- Half of the week sick
- Started to take a look in the about:tor for
- Experimented with different UI layouts for #26884.
- Send a patch to #26884
- Start the about:tor for mobile
- Added arm target for rust
- Created first version of Android build that works with RBM
- Move code to git repo at torproject #26974
- Work on adding mobile branding to Android #26975
- Testing of APK
- Working on bugs and improvements needed for Android build
(based on feedback/review)
- Started landing mingwclang build in -central
- Working on Fuzzyfox
- Worked on 26476 with sukhe some more
- moved house (Monday/Tuesday), no more crazy building manager!
- got my torproject gits working, reposted patches for #26540
(pdfjs disablerange fix) as gitweb diffs
- investigating #26874 (UNC path issues)
- made travel arrangements for rustconf in Portland (gk: is this
something TPI would reimburse) [GeKo: I think we can make an argument
for that, I suggest asking travel at tpo]
- fix for #26874
- other hi-pri tbb-fingerprinting
- revisit #26540 patch, move smuggled first party domain onto
the nsIHttpChannel interface
First TBA patch landed
Looked at Fennec networking code some more (#22170 and Bug 507641)
Looked at igt0's work on Fennec update mechanisms
Began looking at Orfox patches of AccountManager that were
dropped during earlier ESR rebases (#26858)
Had first meeting about sandboxing tor browser
Finish #22170 with auditing TBA networking code for proxy-safety
Create a branch for patching AccountManager (#26858) if needed
Rebase branch for minimizing TBA permissions (#24796)
Review other child tickets of Proxy-Safety and created patches
and/or close (#21863)
#9145 (gcc/hardware acceleration): merged
#26949: STIX repository: merged
#26476: tjr and I continue to debug this. we now have a "Tor"
TaskCluster and the next step is to compare the logs to see what
#25485: I need help with this one, someone who is familiar with C++:
what's the simplest program that will use the latest ABI? simply
linking to our
libstdc++ is not enough [GeKo: boklm stepped up to have a look
#12968: boklm: seems like
also set SHFLAGS. this is the only thing that differs from our
how do we set those? otherwise I tried building with the gcc
we get the same error. [GeKo: boklm stepped up to have a look as
#26476, #25485, #12968 -- hopefully
AFK for vacation
Wrote some comments on sandboxing
HTTP2 patch, #14592 (almost ready)
Met with the Tor uplift team
Worked on #26520 (NoScript is broken with Tor Launcher disabled)
Wrote a patch for #26490 "When first launching 8.0a9 the
screen.height starts at 612px" (still testing)
Worked on #21787 "Make sure exposing the calendar information does
not leak the locale".
Started to look at #24056 "UI locale is detectable by button width"
and #26604 "investigate whether date and time <input> types leak the
Better monitoring for TBB locales: https://torpat.ch/locales
Finish #14592 (HTTP2)
AFK on Wednesday
Test #17252 "Confirm TLS session resumption/ID are isolated to the
URL bar domain, and re-enable them"
Look at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/26506
"NoScript not working on TBB/ESR60 on Windows"
Finish other fingerprinting-related bugs I started.
AFK Wed, Th, Fri.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the tor-project