[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 16 July 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Jul 17 18:40:59 UTC 2018


Our meeting transcript is at:


Below are the notes from our pad

= Network team meeting pad, 16 July 2018 =

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
11 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001828.html
18 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-June/001835.html
25 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001863.html
2 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001866.html
9 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-July/001884.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at

* Community guides, it's time to hand off to the next guide!

* Let's look at proposed tickets!  [but see discussion]

== Announcements ==

* 035 triage has happened; we may need another round, though.
* HOPE is this week; some folks are (or will be) offline.
* PETS is next week; some folks will be away.

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

== Discussion ==

* Should we schedule meetings for these?
   * Discuss prop 295 (New crypto from Tomer Ashur et al) {actually,
let's see what we think after Tuesday's patch-party time.}
   * Revise roadmap to match current staffing.
   * 035-roadmap-proposed items (Backlog seems significant-ish)

* Shall we just use the same pad, week after week, rather than
creating a new one each week?
    teor: works for me, but how do we get rid of old content?
      dmr: can just move it below, or delete it (tbb-team just moves it below)
    asn: reasonable idea! (if this software had tabs we could even
make a new tab for each meeting)
    ahf: Cool with me. I think we made a new one out of concern for vandalism?
    dgoulet: I don't mind but lets remember that Riseup pad expire so
as long as we send the report
             regurlarly on tor-dev@, I'm ok!
      dmr: I think as long as the pad is constantly used, it won't expire

== Updates ==

    * Last week:
        * Merged a bunch of merge-ready stuff
        * Reviewed SOCKS refactor/trunnel patch from rl1987 again;
added fuzzing support to test it.
        * Finished some post-refactoring cleanup work.
        * Released and
        * Cleared through my fast-fix items for 0.3.5
        * Helped find and diagnose an apparent configuration bug in
sid's clang that was making some clang jenkins builds fail.
        * Wrote up first draft of templates for announcements
        * Experimented with porting tor crypto to NSS. Some progress
made; digest and rand are ported. (How) should I procede?
        * Added more guidelines about what is _not_ supported
long-term in LTS releases.
    * This week:
        * TBD depending on roadmap revisions
        * PETS discussions.
        * CI rotation
        * More NSS, possibly?

teor (offline):
   last week:
       - Reviewed removing Tor2web mode (#26367)
       - Dealt with my bwauth backlog
        (I think! pastly and juga please let me know if I missed anything)
         - Bwauth code and spec reviews and fixes (#26694, #26740,
#26694, #3723)
         - Bwauth documentation (#26702)
         - Chutney bwauth network (#26801)
         - More work on the sbws bandwidth measurements
       - Trac spam
       - Tried to work out why Travis builds are leaving a coredump
behind (#26787/#26788)
       - Email and IRC backlogs
       - More setup tasks & admin
   this week:
       - Book Mexico travel
       - Work out timesheets
       - Fix and test an onion service ed25519 id mismatch bug (#26627)
       - Finish PrivCount in Tor blinding and secret sharing branch (#25669)
         - work out what to do about Rust i128 miscompilation
       - Implement PrivCount in Tor noise (#26637)
         - Work out if I need to test C code from Rust (#26398)
       - Work on a per-relay / per-consensus / per-counter noise spec
for PrivCount in Tor (part of #25153)
       - Reduce my other review and revision backlogs, if I get time

Mike (maybe offline?):
    last week:
      - Vangaurd post ready
      - Research post half-ready
    This week:
      - Finish & post research post
      - Make pip packages for vanguards; post

 Last week:
 - Reviewed vanguard blog post by Mike. Also made some drawings that
could be used.

Let me know what else is there to be done, Mike.

 - Made some final touches to vanguard proposal. Mike: it's still not
   merged. Let me know if you want me to merge it.
 - Revised #25552 based on Nick's review, and found an important bug
during log analysis.
   I've since fixed the bugs and been testing the branch. It works really great.
 - Spent some time discussing client auth and revising HSv3 spec to fit the UX
   we are looking for. Useful decisions were reached.
 - Prepared HOPE slides with David.
 - Reviewed #26663
 - Opened some hsv3 tickets #26769, #26768.
 This week:
 - Finalize #25552 branch.
 - Meet with Isa in NYC and fix up the onion service proposal.
 - Finalize prop224 spec wrt client auth.
 - Publish vanguard blog post.
 - Will be on the Tor panel at HOPE conf. haxxpop: Amazing!, I will
wait to watch your presentation on Youtube!
 - Catch up with [tor-dev] UX improvement proposal: Onion
auto-redirects using Alt-Svc HTTP header

    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Began rewriting transports.c to receive events from the event
              loop (should be last step before a merge) for bug #25502.
            - Filled out Isa's S8 Q2 reporting.
            - Attempted fix for a couple of Coverity errors in #26780.
            - Rebased #26437 to fix AppVeyor issue.
            - Lifted Linux specific Sandbox code into its own file. Began work
              on cleaning up configuration interface to work with MacOS too.
              Bug #26374
    This week:
             - Make #24546 mergable after recent restrcture.
             - Harvest reporting.
             - Enjoy vacation in NY including going to HOPE. Back Wednesday the

    Last week (2018-W28):
        - community guide rotation -- opened #26785 for a gcc warning
disabling issue; shepherded #26492 somewhat
        - reviewed a few tickets related to Rust builds
        - wrote more stuff in the github strategy doc
    This week (2018-W29):
        - bug triage rotation
        - code review
        - ping a few people about big patches doc
        - swap in stuff about bootstrap-related roadmap items

    Last week:
        - Discussed with asn dgoulet and nickm about client auth spec
    This week:
        - If the client auth spec is finalized, I will fix and rebase
my client auth PR

  Last week:
    - Worked on #20700 HSv3 client authorization specification along with
      haxxpop, asn and nickm.
    - Patch for #26367 which is the removal of Tor2web (roadmap item). Now in
    - Reviewed the remaning code refactoring tickets from nickm.
    - Worked on the slide for our HOPE talk.
    - HSv3 reachability issue that I might have found the problem on Saturday!
      See #26709 for the gist of my findings. Running an experiment.
    - Worked with Roger and gman to help with the new Bridge Authority setup.
  This week:
    - I leave for NY (HOPE) on Wed morning so I'm here today and
tomorrow. haxxpop: Amazing!, I will wait to watch your presentation on
    - Do as much as possible onto #20700 before meeting asn f2f to discuss
      outstanding issues.
    - Try to fix the two HS important issues we have namely #26709 and #26806.
    - I'm Community Hero this week but most of it will be at HOPE eheh...
    - I'll need to switch with someone next week for Bug Triage, I
won't be there.

        reiviewing pm candidates
        thanks for the information about sponsor8 work on Q1 o/
        I will compile all answers received from network folks for the
github survey and start oganizing all the teams answers so a proposal
can come out of it
        picking up the onion services proposal this week (trying to
get it done before hope)
        on vacation next week o/
        i am thinking of a possible plan to get modularization phase1
(1year of work) payed by a different sponsor (from the one we already
applied this project proposal and has been on review for a looong time

    - not sure whom to talk with, to get a mirrored nyx repo on GitHub
    - would like to discuss best way to manage several minor
improvements to torspec
        WIP branch:

More information about the tor-project mailing list