[tor-project] Network team meeting notes from 18 March 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Mar 19 16:15:07 UTC 2019


Our logs are at

Our meeting notes are below:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 18 March at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

March schedule:
    * Tuesday 5 March at 2300 UTC
    * Monday 11 March at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 18 March at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 25 March at 1700 UTC

April schedule notes:
    * Monday 22 April is an Easter public holiday

May schedule notes:
    * teor will be on leave at the start of May

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
19 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-February/002225.html
25 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002236.html
 5 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002244.html
11 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002252.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

We're using a kanban board:
<-- filter by your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments!

Here are the needs-review tickets, by reviewer:

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

Including sbws:

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Add planned PTO to the calendar

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

---- 18 March 2019

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in
- No more backports to 0.3.3; support ended a few weeks ago!
  - if you're a maintainer, please update your git scripts from the
tor repository!
- US DST began last Sunday; let's be careful for schedules next week
[catalyst: are we going to follow US DST for the Monday meetings as we
have before?] yes -- previously decided that Monday meetings move with
US DST; see

We need to prioritize sbws's reviews this month as Juga is wrapping up
their work in March.

== Discussion ==

=== Fixing IPv6-only network failures ===

Tor Browser is going to test the new ClientAutoIPv6ORPort option in
Tor Browser Alpha.

(Geko says, "looking at teor's comment in #29641 it seems we need
#27647 fixed first?")

teor says, Tor Browser should test in an alpha as soon as possible, so
we know if we need to do #27647

I added a comment on the ticket:


(I sometimes miss pad and IRC comments, tickets are much better.)

== Recommended links ==

"Tech companies could change these things to make your life easier and
protect your digital security and privacy.
Why haven’t they yet?"

On gitlab release management (they have a role that rotates)

For next week:

On gitlab time-based releases, and why developers and users like them:

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


Week of 03/04 (actual):

- processes https://gitlab.com/gabelula/tor-documentation-processes

Week of 03/11 (planned):

- tor scaling meeting

- roadmap checking before leaving

- traveling on the 14th

teor: (offline except for the first meeting each month)

Week of 11 Mar (planned):

    Bug triage rotation

        - Write nice page with queries for bug triage rotation, like


    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729, #27912, #29280

        - Backport merges for CI with Chutney/Tor

        - Bandwidth stats for PrivCount: #29019, #17036, #29005

            - Rearrange the commits in a nice order on a bunch of new branches

    Roadmap Reviews:

        - Review nickm's parts of the CI with Chutney/Tor tickets

        - Other assigned reviews


        - After chutney CI merges, do other stable maintainer triage and merges

        - Leave admin

        - If I have any time left over, review admin backlog, and plan
other admin

Week of 11 Mar (actual):

    Bug triage rotation

        - Triaged a whole bunch of backports that were in the wrong milestone

        - Tried to keep up with the bugs in #tor-bots: I was busy, I
might have missed something

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729, #27912, #29280, #22132

    Roadmap Reviews:

        - Review nickm's parts of the CI with Chutney/Tor tickets

        - Other assigned reviews: I have one review to catch up on
next week - I need to write extra tests for it.

        - Picked up some sbws reviews

        - Tried to help with sbws #28563

        - Logged a bunch of bugs that are causing CI failures

        - Proposal reviews: prop#199 / #29801


        - Mainline merges

        - Merged most of the backport backlog, there is one merge
remaining for next week

          (All the other backports need another alpha before they can merge)

Week of 18 Mar (planned):

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729, #29761

        - Backport fixes needed for CI with Chutney/Tor to Tor 0.2.9

        - Bandwidth stats for PrivCount: #29019, #17036, #29005

            - Rearrange the commits in a nice order on a bunch of new branches

    Roadmap Reviews:

        - Review nickm's parts of the CI with Chutney/Tor tickets

        - sbws reviews


        - Other assigned reviews

        - Do mainline merges, and the remaining backport merges from last week

        - Do remaining reviews from last week

        - Leave admin

        - Add a travis test for stem (it's a copy of the chutney test,
but using the stem command)

Week of 18 Mar (actual):

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #22132, #28203, #29729 and children if needed

    Roadmap Reviews:

        - test proposed sbws design, suggest a new design, do sbws reviews


        - review and design work on prop#199 - automatic IPv6
connection improvements

        - review #29036, #29434, #29073

        - try to explain #29500 better

        - Leave admin

        - Work out how Tor's new feedback process works

        - Work out the new travel rules

        - other emails

        - triage and merge backports

        - ticket herding

        - assign 040-must tickets to people

    Help with:

       - If someone would like to work through the PrivCount changes
with me, that

         would be really helpful. Otherwise I will defer them until
after the Chutney/Tor CI.


        Dev work and merges are slow due to lots of CI failures:

        - Intermittent CI failures: Fixes needed: #29500 (circuit padding time)

                                                  #29693 (circuit
padding stochastic)

                                                  #29437 (test-stem)


Week of 11 March (planned):

- Next steps on CI: get travis support running on chutney, and chutney
in tor's travis. [Pending Teor's revisions on #27912]

- Next steps on pubsub (per catalyst's review)

- Work on #29357 (ActiveOnStartup option for TB) as an 040-must item

- Update my rup.py example code for the latest prop295

- Sponsor 31 meeting

- Scaling meeting

- Possibly, kick off work on some more of my sponsor 19 and 31 stuff.

- 29223 standardized abbrevs?

- 29269 bridge stats?

Week of 11 March (actual):

- Revised travis+chutney branches

- Revised pubsub branch

- Implemented #29357 (activeonstartup)

- Meetings (various)

- Review and merge (lots)

- Slides for libreplanet

Week of 18 March (planned):

- Prepare for libreplanet on saturday

- Reviews and merging.

- Work on several 040-must items.

- Testing PRNG determinism code (29732)

- Possibly, kick off work on some more of my sponsor 19 and 31 stuff.

- 29223 standardized abbrevs?

- 29269 bridge stats?

- Time permitting, adl/rup revisions

- If catalyst is available, initial design chat on config.c refactor.

- Review a paper for PETS

- Get ready for an around the end of the week.

Help with:

- Please have a look at the tickets labeled 040-must.  Are you the
very best person to do one, or to explain why it is not a "must"?

dgoulet (missing meeting):
    - AFK.

  Week of 3/11 (planned)
    - Vanguards workarounds for onion service bugs
    - Tor scalability
    - #28686 (Nick's stray review comments for wtfpad)
    - #28780 - flag for keeping circuit open (asn: are we sure this is
actually needed?)
  Week of 3/11 (actual):
    - Sick + errands piled up from recovery
    - Lots of Tor scalability discussion & thought
    - Little bit of work on vanguards workarounds
  Week of 3/18 (planned):
    - Scalability planning & discussion
    - Catch up with asn's wtf-pad work, finalize plan for keeping
circuits open (#28780)
    - Taking friday off


    week of 03/11 (2019-W11) (planned):
        - reviews
        - write up architectural comments on pubsub
        - work with nickm on pubsub revisions
        - work some more on #28925 (distinguish proxy vs PT in
bootstrap) based on previous work hooking up pubsub to bootstrap
    week of 03/11 (2019-W11) (actual):
        - reviews
        - asked for feedback from tbb-team on #28925 (distinguish
proxy vs PT in bootstrap)
        - more pubsub improvements
        - figured out a way to unit-test pubsub-using code (maybe not optimal)
        - some annoyances related to practracker.py
    week of 03/18 (2019-W12) (planned):
        - try prototyping #28925 solution using pubsub but in a way
not too difficult to back port to 0.4.0
        - CI+Coverity rotation
        - reviews
        - checking for any remaining loose ends in pubsub review


Week 11 March (planned)
    - New patch release with #29707 fix (and new unofficial debian package)
    - Work on or merge Stop the integration tests http server when the
tests end (#28774)
    - Work on or merge Create an script to automate releases (#29294)
    - Continue with Work out how sbws can report excluded relays in
the bandwidth file (#28563)
    - When sbws stops making progress, log a warning (#28652)
    - Work out how long it takes sbws to measure the network (#28983)

Week 11 March (actual)
    - Continue with Work out how sbws can report excluded relays in
the bandwidth file (#28563)
    - When sbws stops making progress, log a warning (#28652)
    - Work out how long it takes sbws to measure the network (#28983)
    - Closed tickets that doesn't apply anymore and change some
tickets' milestones
    - Recover a destination when it stops failing (#29589)
    - Document that authorities are not measured by default (#29722)

Week 18 March (plan)
    - Continue with Work out how sbws can report excluded relays in
the bandwidth file (#28563)
    - Work on Ignore bandwidth file lines with "vote=0" (#29806)
    - Create a blog post about work done and future work (#29724)
    - Continue with DirAuths should expose bwauth bandwidth files (#21377)

   Week of 03/11 (planned):
   - Do revisions for #29221, #29298.
   - Continue work on #29298.
   - Do pending merges/reviews.
   - Check updates on #5708.
   - Check new HSv3 bugs that dgoulet opened (#29665, #29669).
   Week of 03/11 (actual):
   - Got #29298 and #29221 revised and merged.
   - More revisions for #28636
   - Did merges/reviews. Got #29665 merged.
   - CI role. Fixed #29792, #29527, #29747.
   - Started work on #28634. Made some draft padding machines for hiding RP
     circuits. Also written a log-scraping program that analyzes HS circuits.
     More work needed. Will be working on this for the rest of the month.
   Week of 03/18 (planned):
   - Continue work on #28634.
   - Do merges/reviews.
   - Get #28636 finalized.
   - Fix prob_distr coverity issues.
   Help with:
   - Mike can you check that my rationale in
https://github.com/torproject/tor/pull/788#discussion_r266450359 is

    Week of 3/11 (planned):
        Sponsor 19:
            - Continue with #29207/#29206 with Cohosh.
            - Document protocol changes for #29207/#29206
    Week of 3/11 (actually):
        Sponsor 19:
            - Talk about GeoIP interface with cohosh
            - Early review of #29734
            - Added branch for listening on WebSockets in the Broker,
now working on JSON
              message layer (#2907/#29206):
                - Started looking into WebSocket layer between Broker
and Proxy (#29736).
            - Trying to wrap my head around an issue that I thought
was related to the
              token bucket handling between WebRTC/WebSocket, but was
a local network
            - Created PR for #29036.
            - Closed #29737.
    Week of 3/18 (planned):
        Sponsor 19:
            - Second review of #29734.
            - Continue with #29207.
            - Network team bug triage.
            - Get Gitlab to run :-S
            - Talk with Erin, Cohosh, and Gaba about what we do with
              performance review for anti-censorship team.

More information about the tor-project mailing list