[tor-project] Network team meeting notes from 25 Feb 2019

teor teor at riseup.net
Fri Mar 1 03:03:26 UTC 2019


A reminder:
Next week's team meeting is at a different time.
Tuesday 5 March at 2300 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Our logs are available at

Below are the contents of our pad:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 25 February at 1800 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1800 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

February schedule:
    * Monday 25 February at 1800 UTC

March schedule:
    * Tuesday 5 March at 2300 UTC
    * Monday 11 March at 1800 UTC
    * Monday 18 March at 1800 UTC
    * Monday 25 March at 1800 UTC

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
8 Jan: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-January/002155.html
14 Jan: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-January/002170.html
22 Jan: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-January/002184.html
11 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-February/002214.html
19 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-February/002225.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

We're using a kanban now: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr

* Check reviewer assignments!

Here are the needs-review tickets, by reviewer:

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

Including sbws:

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are there important documents we should link to?  Things we should archive?

* Check rotations at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up actual point when you finish a task (as well as update the estimate when starting the issue).
* Add planned PTO to the calendar https://storm.torproject.org/shared/ISA5L5nH0Xu88iqSCx9ZjCXYSMKOBTdbUeWarbdGmxx

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

---- 25 February 2019

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in maint-0.4.0.
- No more backports to 0.3.3; support ends on Thursday!
- Tor was not accepted for GSoC this year.

== Discussion ==

When we assign reviews, can we skip people who are on leave?

=== Tor Meeting ===

- Brainstorming Tor meeting invites - is there anyone that we're
  working with a lot that we want to make sure is invited?

=== Policy planning ===

* We don't have a great way to set and adopt development/support policies.  How would we feel about this:

       Let's have policies start out as "draft".  If we think a policy could maybe
       work out, let's call it "experimental", post it publicly, and try it out for
       a limited amount of time. And then let's see whether we need to amend it or adopt
       it or discard it entirely based on network-team rough consensus.
    [leftover from last week]

* Next steps with getting ourselves a merge policy?

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:
	•      - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


	• Week of 02/19 (actual:
	• - look at releases estimation
	• - look at processes and make a proposal on decision making (so far all documentes found here https://gitlab.com/gabelula/tor-documentation-processes)
	• Week of 02/25 (planned):
	• - continue on https://gitlab.com/gabelula/tor-documentation-processes
	• - track sponsors & update roadmaps on wiki for each sponsor

teor: (offline)

Week of 18 Feb (planned):
    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):
        - PrivCount proof of concept (#29004 and related tickets) <-- are related tickets in the roadmap? I guess is 29027 and 27908
        - unit tests for extra-info documents (#29018)
        - Reviews
        - Email, IRC, and ticket backlog
        - Finish travel reimbursements
        - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed (from Sponsor 8, but worth doing anyway)
            - If we get bad results, tweak bootstrap settings to work:
                - when lots of fallbacks are down, and
                - on networks that drop packets
              (deferred from Sponsor 8, we'll only do it if it is necessary)

Week of 18 Feb (actual):
    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):
        - Finished #29017 - stats bug fix, and it was merged.
        - Finished #29018 - a related stats bug fix, refactor, and unit tests for extra-info documents (PrivCount preparation)
        - Finished travel reimbursements
        - Email backlog: draft proposal and policy comments, admin, etc.
        - Ticket herding
        - Skimmed IRC backlog

Week of 25 Feb (planned):
    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):
        - Plan my coding tasks after trimming Sponsor V
        - Make Sponsor V smaller (24 points) - must be done before I start new coding tasks!
        - Send out release capacity meeting time
        - Blocked: Merge some merge_ready tickets
        - Blocked: Stable maintainer triage and merges
        - Leave admin (deferred)
        - Large reviews (deferred)

Week of 25 Feb (actual):
    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):
        - Get bandwidth counters working (#29019 and children)
        - Send out release capacity meeting time
        - Email backlog: draft proposal and policy comments, admin, etc.
        - Revise proposed tickets process

        - 7/9 assigned reviews, including sbws reviews, and small reviews
        - Did some extra reviews (#29280, #28525)
        - Found some issues with the transition plan for prop289 (#26288)
        - Tried to help fix #29500 (circuit pad test failures)

        - Make Sponsor V smaller (24 points)
        - Re-plan roadmap coding

        - Fix some urgent CI bugs (#29530, #29599, #29601)
        - Work out merge process, set up merge environment
        - Do some backport merges (#29145, #29599)

        - Blocked: backport merges are slow, due to #29601 (needs_review) and #29500 (needs fix)

    Help with:
        - Gaba, do you want to share your release capacity calculations before the meeting? <--- oh, I didn't see this. I will share them next week. (gaba)

        - mikeperry, can you please fix #29500? (circuit pad test failures)
          The CI failures are making backports difficult.

        - Can someone please review #29601, so we can speed up Appveyor?


	• Week of 18 Feb (planned):
	• - Write final onionbalance-with-v3-onionservices proposal (thanks, asn and dgoulet!)
	• - Finish personalization proposal
	• - Change master to 0.4.1; create maint-0.4.0 and release-0.4.0 branches (done)
	• - Write proposed policy for merging stuff (done)
	• - Discuss proposed merge policy; make public version.
	• - Releases for 0.3.3 and later.
	• - Merge and announce fix for TROVE-2019-001 (thanks dgoulet)
	• - Discuss chutney+ci findings with teor.
	• - Update pubsub branch as needed/useful. Check in with catalyst.
	• - Start looking at bridge stats status for #29269
	• - meet with researchers about datagrams, performance, etc.  Mike, please answer the scheduling email ASAP?
	• - Reply to a large pile of emails
	• - ADL discussion
	• - Prop 300
	• - Consensus options proposal idea
	• - and so much more...
	• - Decide what is left in 0.4.0.  I need help here.
	• - CI / Coverity rotation: look at jenkins failures (like #29534), OSS-fuzz timeouts, etc

	• Week of 18 Feb (actual):
	• - Found a bug in v3 onion service spec conformance with asn; possibly making onionbalance-with-v3 proposal unnecessary.
	• - Sent Teor a draft personalization proposal; got feedback.
	• - Sent around proposed merging policy
	• - Releases for 0.3.3 and later with announcement for TROVE-2019-001
	• - Worked on a chutney-and-ci plan with teor
	• - Discussed scheduling, datagrams, etc
	• - Lots of review and merging
	• - Worked on Jenkins failures
	• - Triaged 0.4.0 with dgoulet

	• Week of 25 Feb (planned)
	• - Respond to ADL folks
	• - Lots of email
	• - More reviews: catch up
	• - Discuss merging policy
	• - Work on map_anon test breakage (29534)
	• - Chutney CI work

  Week of 19 Feb (planned):
    - Adapt #26288 (prop289) to use the new fast PRNG. Wrote a bunch of unit
      tests as well for that branch.
    - Triage 0.4.0 tickets with nickm
    - Finalize the TROVE-2019-001.
    - Discussions with Mike on #29494.
    - Discussed with researchers cell scheduling.
  Week of 25 Feb (planned)
    - Talked with asn about OnionBalance v3.
    - Put #26288 in needs_review.
    - Help Mike finalize #29494.
    - BridgeDB tickets! Most important!


  Week of 2/18 (planned)
    - Get #29204 branch ready for dgoulet
    - Hopefully start on #28780
    - Vanguards package announcementready for dgoulet
  Week of 2/18 (actual):
    - Got #29204 branch ready for dgoulet
    - Implemented sketch of #29494
    - Tried to reproduce #29500 in wine, did not get it to trigger
  Week of 2/25 (planned):
    - Discuss #29494 ideas with dgoulet
    - Hopefully start on #28780
    - Investigate potential vanguards false positive
  Need Help With:
    - Running unittests under Windows try to reproduce #29500 (Wine was insufficient)

    week of 02/18 (2019-W08) (planned):
        - expense reporting
        - #28226 review
        - other reviews
    week of 02/18 (2019-W08) (actual):
        - medical bureaucracy
        - more review of #28226
        - new ticket #29537 about intptr_t round trip issue that came up during #28226 review
        - some review of #29299 (sbws country) [juga, is it ok if i review by only reading through the code? i don't have an easy way to set up a test environment][juga: yes]
    week of 02/25 (2019-W09) (planned):
        - expense reporting (probably for reals because various statements have closed with posted transactions that were previously pending)
        - reviews
        - proof of concept of adapting some bootstrap reporting code to pubsub as part of #28226 review
    help with:
        - dgoulet, is there anything you need to relay to me about #29276 before you disappear?
	•         [dgoulet: Oh.. I didn't had that ticket on my stack. So what I think needs to happen is to upgrade to latest requirements.txt, fix the issues and release. I already
	•                   have identified one issue from running my own BridgeDB with latest so should be easy.]


Week 18 Feb (planned):
    - Continue with Adapt bandwidth file classes to be compatible with stem (descriptors, etc) documents (#29057)
    - Work out how long it takes sbws to measure the network (#28983)
    - When sbws stops making progress, log a warning (#28652)
    - Prepare presentation for the DemoDay
    - Revisions

Week 18 Feb (actual):
    - Continue with Adapt bandwidth file classes to be compatible with stem (descriptors, etc) documents (#29057)
    - Work out how long it takes sbws to measure the network (#28983)
    - When sbws stops making progress, log a warning (#28652)
    - Prepare presentation for the DemoDay
    - Merge all `needs_review` branches in a dev branch and run it in the public network

Week 25 Feb (plan):
    - Merge pending tickets in 1.0 milestone
    - Release sbws 1.0.3
    - Test all the children to Monitor relays that are not measured by each sbws instance (#28547) in the public network and fix them if need it

   Week of 02/18 (planned):
    - Move towards finishing up #29298 after getting Mike's feedback.
    - Discuss more about WTF-PAD future.
    - Start looking into roadmap task #29221.
    - Do reviews.
    - If time permits, read Tim's response to "walking onions" thread wrt onion
   Week of 02/18 (actual):
    - Did revisions on #29298 after Mike's review. I think this is probs ready
      after a final review and a squash.
    - Discussed onionbalance proposal with dgoulet and Nick. Interesting
      developments I need to write down.
    - Discussed merge policy.
    - Discussed [tor-researchers] mailing list processes with Iain and Chelsea.
    - Did reviews.
   Week of 02/25 (planned):
    - Get #29298 merged.
    - Do roadmap item #29221.
    - Start scoping down open 040-must bugfixes like #29527 and #28970.
    - Write down the onionbalance v3 discussion.
   Help with:
    - Mike can you handle the appveyor #29500 bug?

Week of 2/18 (planned)
    Sponsor 19:
        - Send feedback to Kat about Report #2.
        - Collect some feedback from arma & cohosh about Broker.markdown.
        - Begin the work on protocol changes in the Snowflake codebase together with cohosh.
Week of 2/18 (actually)
    Sponsor 19:
        - Read over report #2 and noted down some issues.
        - Got feedback from Cohosh on #28848 (broker documentation)
        - Begun work on #29207 (proxy/broker protocol)
        - Looked into React and Material UI for Antonela's Snowflake WebExtension UI.
Week of 2/25 (planned)
    Sponsor 19:
        - Update Broker.markdown with Cohosh's comments on #28848 and close it.
        - Continue work on #29207.
        - Work with Cohosh on the Marionette bridge instance for the application team (#26920)
        - Talk with Kat and Gaba about Report #2
        - Solve bootstrap-with-PT cancelling crash on Windows on #29562
        - Try to reproduce asn/mikeperry's issue from #29500 on Windows

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: Message signed with OpenPGP
URL: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/attachments/20190301/de5e5bca/attachment.sig>

More information about the tor-project mailing list