[tor-project] Network team meeting notes; March 5

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Fri Mar 8 20:32:10 UTC 2019

Hi!  It looks like meetbot.debian.net is down right now, so I can't
past the link to the chat today.  But here are our notes from the

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Tuesday 5 March at 2300 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1800 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

March schedule:
    * Tuesday 5 March at 2300 UTC
    * Monday 11 March at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 18 March at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 25 March at 1700 UTC

April schedule notes:
    * Monday 22 April is an Easter public holiday

May schedule notes:
    * teor will be on leave at the start of May

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
22 Jan: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-January/002184.html
11 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-February/002214.html
19 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-February/002225.html
25 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002236.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

We're using a kanban board:
<-- filter by your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments!

Here are the needs-review tickets, by reviewer:

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

Including sbws:

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Add planned PTO to the calendar

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

---- 5 March 2019

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in
- No more backports to 0.3.3; support ends on Thursday!
- US DST begins this coming Sunday; let's be careful for schedules
next week [catalyst: are we going to follow US DST for the Monday
meetings as we have before?] yes -- previously decided that Monday
meetings move with US DST; see

== Discussion ==

=== Review Assignments ===

We need to prioritize sbws's reviews this month as Juga is wrapping up
their work in March.

When we assign reviews, can we skip people who are on leave?

Before we go on leave, can we give away our reviews?

=== Recommended Versions ===

Are these okay for versions to recommend in the directory:
    0.2.9: and later on clients; and later on relays
    0.3.3: no versions
    0.3.4: only and later, because of #28912 and #28245.
    0.3.5: only and later, because of #28912 and #28973.
    0.4.0: and

In particular, I am claiming that TROVE-2019-001 and #29175 are not
critical enough to make us unrecommend affected versions in the
consensus. Is that right? -NM

teor says: #29175 seems ok, your socks port should not be open to the world.
           For TROVE-2019-001, maybe relays and onion services should upgrade?
           Relay ops are reporting that it fixes memory usage issues.

=== Getting Help ===

What's the best way to get other people to help me with blockers?
For example, backports are really slow due to Appveyor.
I put a fix in #29601 on Thursday last week, and asked if someone to
review it on IRC.
Should I ask a specific person on IRC?
Or is there a better contact method?

=== Fixing IPv6-only network failures ===

Tor clients don't work on IPv6-only networks, and it's starting to
affect more users (#29641).
There are config options that switch a client to prefer IPv6, but they
aren't on by default.
(If they are set the wrong way for the current network, they interact
badly with the 0.3.0 guard code,
because they cause too many connection failures.)
When can we spend some time on getting tor clients working on
IPv6-only networks?

=== Tor Meeting ===

- Brainstorming Tor meeting invites - is there anyone that we're
working with a lot that we want to make sure is invited?

=== Policy planning ===

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba (possible offline or lurking):

Week of 02/25 (actual):

- continue on https://gitlab.com/gabelula/tor-documentation-processes

- track sponsors & update roadmaps on wiki for each sponsor

Week of 03/04 (planned):

- processes https://gitlab.com/gabelula/tor-documentation-processes

- I will be offline the last 2 weeks of March but still reachable by signal.

teor: (online!)

Week of 25 Feb (planned):

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - Plan my coding tasks after trimming Sponsor V


        - Make Sponsor V smaller (24 points) - must be done before I
start new coding tasks!

        - Send out release capacity meeting time

        - Blocked: Merge some merge_ready tickets

        - Blocked: Stable maintainer triage and merges

        - Leave admin (deferred)

        - Large reviews (deferred)

Week of 25 Feb (actual):

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - Get bandwidth counters working (#29019 and children)


        - Release capacity meeting prep / revised proposed tickets process

        - Email backlog: draft proposal and policy comments, admin, etc.

        - 7/9 assigned reviews, including sbws reviews, and small reviews

        - Did some extra reviews (#29280, #28525, #26288, #29500)

        - Made Sponsor V smaller, and re-planned roadmap coding

        - CI/Coverity rotation: Fixed some urgent CI bugs (#29530,
#29599, #29601)

        - Work out merge process, set up merge environment

        - Do some backport merges (#29145, #29599, #25116, #25113, #24903)

        - Clear out 033-backport, because 0.3.3 is no longer supported

Week of 4 Mar (planned):

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - Bandwidth stats for PrivCount: #29019, #17036, #29005

    Roadmap Reviews:

        - nickm's chutney CI tickets


        - Update merge scripts to remove 033

        - Large reviews

        - Put the merge policy on the wiki

        - Triage my email

        - Leave admin

        - Blocked: Stable maintainer triage and merges

Week of 4 Mar (actual):

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - Bandwidth stats for PrivCount: #29019, #17036, #29005


        - 9/10 assigned reviews

        - Added a comment to #23588 explaining the extra work that
needs to be done before I can review it.


        - Bugfixes for #28656, #29643

        - Revised #29640, #23576

        - Ticket herding and opening bugfix tickets

        - Updated my user page, so the tickets are in priority order

        - Un-assigned a bunch of tickets that I won't be doing in the
next 2 months


        - Intermittent CI failures: #29500, #29693, #29437

    Help with:


Week of 25 Feb (planned)

- Respond to ADL folks

- Lots of email

- More reviews: catch up

- Discuss merging policy

- Work on map_anon test breakage (29534)

- Chutney CI work

Week of 25 Feb (actual):

- Reviews, merges

- Answer lots of email

- Work on policy proposals

- Various CI&Chutney tickets: 29712, 29618, 29583

- Bugfix for map_anon test (29534?)

Week of 4 March (planned)P:

- Come up with a list of recommended versions

- Reviews, merges. There are some big branches here, so I'll need
longer than usual

- Update my rup.py example code for the latest prop295

- Find some 040-must items to finish

- Next steps on CI (ask teor)

- Next steps on pubsub (pending catalyst review)

dgoulet (missing meeting):
  Week of 25 Feb (actual)
    - Proposal changes with teor on #26288. Code was put in needs_review.
    - BridgeDB tickets. The majority is in needs_review waiting on sysrqb.
    - Worked on the git maintenance scripts.
    - Reviews and open couple tickets.
  Week of 4 Mar (planned)
    - AFK.

Mike (likely will miss meeting)
  Week of 2/25 (planned)
    - Discuss #29494 ideas with dgoulet
    - Hopefully start on #28780
    - Investigate potential vanguards false positive
  Week of 2/25 (actual):
    - Discussed #29494 ideas with dgoulet; pondered
    - Worked on scalability mails & pad
    - Mails with researchers
    - Investigated #29500
  Week of 3/04 (planned):
    - Finish #29204 and #29494
    - More research and scaling mails

    week of 02/25 (2019-W09) (planned):
        - expense reporting (probably for reals because various
statements have closed with posted transactions that were previously
        - reviews
        - proof of concept of adapting some bootstrap reporting code
to pubsub as part of #28226 review
    week of 02/25 (2019-W09) (actual):
        - reviews
        - some progress on POC adapting bootstrap reporting to pubsub
        - more review comments on pubsub
        - got some updates from dgoulet about what's needed to make a
bridgedb release, including one open issue that already has a ticket
        - medical bureaucracy
    week of 03/04 (2019-W10) (planned):
        - reviews
        - finish up commenting on pubsub
        - expense reporting
        - make some progress on #28925 (distinguish proxy vs PT in
bootstrap) if pubsub stuff works out well

juga (offline):

Week 25 Feb (planned):

    - Merge pending tickets in 1.0 milestone

    - Release sbws 1.0.3

    - Test all the children to Monitor relays that are not measured by
each sbws instance (#28547) in the public network and fix them if need

Week 25 Feb (actual):

    - Merge pending tickets in 1.0 milestone

    - Test new master in the public network

    - Create debian package

    - Test debian package in the public network

    - Moved to 1.1 milestone tickets not that prioritary

    - Revisions

    - Wored on Timeout waiting for measurements (#28864, #28865)

    - Planned March

Week 4 March (plan):

    - Release sbws 1.0.3

    - Test all the children to Monitor relays that are not measured by
each sbws instance (#28547) in the public network and fix them if need

Needs help with:

    - strategy to work with several branches that touch same code
without ending in git merge/rebase pain? (to talk tomorrow in irc?)

    - note: additionally, sometimes i need to work on several tickets
at the same time to test them all together

   Week of 02/18 (planned):
    - Move towards finishing up #29298 after getting Mike's feedback.
    - Discuss more about WTF-PAD future.
    - Start looking into roadmap task #29221.
    - Do reviews.
    - If time permits, read Tim's response to "walking onions" thread wrt onion
   Week of 02/18 (actual):
    - Did revisions on #29298 after Mike's review. I think this is probs ready
      after a final review and a squash.
    - Discussed onionbalance proposal with dgoulet and Nick. Interesting
      developments I need to write down.
    - Discussed merge policy.
    - Discussed [tor-researchers] mailing list processes with Iain and Chelsea.
    - Did reviews.
   Week of 02/25 (planned):
    - Get #29298 merged.
    - Do roadmap item #29221.
    - Start scoping down open 040-must bugfixes like #29527 and #28970.
    - Write down the onionbalance v3 discussion.
   Help with:
    - Mike can you handle the appveyor #29500 bug?

    Week of 2/25 (planned)
        Sponsor 19:
            - Update Broker.markdown with Cohosh's comments on #28848
and close it.
            - Continue work on #29207.
            - Work with Cohosh on the Marionette bridge instance for
the application team (#26920)
            - Talk with Kat and Gaba about Report #2
            - Solve bootstrap-with-PT cancelling crash on Windows on #29562
            - Try to reproduce asn/mikeperry's issue from #29500 on Windows
    Week of 2/25 (actually)
        Sponsor 19:
            - Finished #28848 together with cohosh.
            - Manage to get cohosh's docker testing environment up and
running (#29489)
            - Continued work on #29207.
            - Fixed bootstrap-with-PT cancelling crash issue on
Windows on #29562
            - Spend some time trying to reproduce #29500, but without
success. Gave up in the end.
            - Second review of David's authenticated sendme work in #26288
    Week of 3/5 (planned)
        Sponsor 19:
            - Finish #29207
            - Talk with cohosh, gaba, and kat about Report #2
            - End of month stuff: Harvest

More information about the tor-project mailing list