[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 11 March

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Mar 11 19:36:22 UTC 2019


Here are the notes from our meeting of today.  Meetbot is still down,
so there's no log to attach.

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 11 March at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

March schedule:
    * Tuesday 5 March at 2300 UTC
    * Monday 11 March at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 18 March at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 25 March at 1700 UTC

April schedule notes:
    * Monday 22 April is an Easter public holiday

May schedule notes:
    * teor will be on leave at the start of May

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
11 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-February/002214.html
19 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-February/002225.html
25 Feb: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002236.html
 5 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002244.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

We're using a kanban board:
<-- filter by your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments!

Here are the needs-review tickets, by reviewer:

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

Including sbws:

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Add planned PTO to the calendar

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

---- 11 March 2019

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in
- No more backports to 0.3.3; support ended a few weeks ago!
  - if you're a maintainer, please update your git scripts from the
tor repository!
- US DST began last Sunday; let's be careful for schedules next week
[catalyst: are we going to follow US DST for the Monday meetings as we
have before?] yes -- previously decided that Monday meetings move with
US DST; see

We need to prioritize sbws's reviews this month as Juga is wrapping up
their work in March.

== Discussion ==

=== Fixing IPv6-only network failures ===

Tor Browser is going to test the new ClientAutoIPv6ORPort option in
Tor Browser Alpha.

(Geko says, "looking at teor's comment in #29641 it seems we need
#27647 fixed first?")

=== Tor Meeting ===

Does the network team have an extra roadmap day? we will only have 3
days in total (12, 13, 14th of July)
When can we book tickets? wait a little please

=== Policy planning ===

We're still seeing how the draft merge policy works: review at the end
of March. Can we review it the first week of April?
Let's talk about the team capacity policy when Gaba gets back? Yes. I
will be back the first week of April.

== Recommended links ==

"Tech companies could change these things to make your life easier and
protect your digital security and privacy.
Why haven’t they yet?"

On gitlab release management (they have a role that rotates)

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


Week of 03/04 (actual):

- processes https://gitlab.com/gabelula/tor-documentation-processes

Week of 03/11 (planned):

- tor scaling meeting

- roadmap checking before leaving

- traveling on the 14th

teor: (online!)

Week of 4 Mar (planned):

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - Bandwidth stats for PrivCount: #29019, #17036, #29005

    Roadmap Reviews:

        - nickm's chutney/tor CI tickets


        - Update merge scripts to remove 033

        - Large reviews

        - Put the merge policy on the wiki

        - Triage my email

        - Leave admin

        - Blocked: Stable maintainer triage and merges

Week of 4 Mar (actual):

    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - Bandwidth stats for PrivCount: #29019, #17036, #29005

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29703, #29729, #27912, #29280


        - 9/10 assigned reviews, including roadmap reviews

        - Didn't do #23588, because it's waiting on other tickets (see
ticket for details)


        - Bugfixes for #28656, #29643, #29706

        - Revised #29640, #23576

        - Ticket herding and opening bugfix tickets

        - Updated my user page, so the tickets are in priority order

        - Helped diagnose a bunch of different bugs, including #29707 in sbws

        - Partly Blocked: Stable maintainer triage and merges

Week of 11 Mar (planned):

    Bug triage rotation

        - Write nice page with queries for bug triage rotation, like


    Roadmap Coding (3 days per week):

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729, #27912, #29280

        - Backport merges for CI with Chutney/Tor

        - Bandwidth stats for PrivCount: #29019, #17036, #29005

            - Rearrange the commits in a nice order on a bunch of new branches

    Roadmap Reviews:

        - Review nickm's parts of the CI with Chutney/Tor tickets

        - Other assigned reviews


        - After chutney CI merges, do other stable maintainer triage and merges

        - Leave admin

        - If I have any time left over, review admin backlog, and plan
other admin

    Blocked: (I wrote this list on Friday - it might be outdated)

        Dev work and merges are slow due to lots of CI failures:

        - Intermittent CI failures: Fixes needed: #29500 (circuit padding time)

                                                  #29693 (circuit
padding stochastic)

                                                  #29437 (test-stem)

                                    Review and merge needed: #29706
(SRV memory management)

    Help with:


Week of 4 March (planned):

- Come up with a list of recommended versions

- Reviews, merges. There are some big branches here, so I'll need
longer than usual

- Update my rup.py example code for the latest prop295

- Find some 040-must items to finish

- Next steps on CI (ask teor)

- Next steps on pubsub (pending catalyst review)

Week of 4 March (actual):

- Reviews and merges -- lots. these took a lot of time.

- Made list of versions to un-recommend

- Examined test determinism. Need to ask George and Mike about PRNG
determinism on padding tests.

- Fixed fork issues in thread-prng code (#29668)

- Tons of email & meetings :/

Week of 11 March (planned):

- Next steps on CI: get travis support running on chutney, and chutney
in tor's travis. [Pending Teor's revisions on #27912]

- Next steps on pubsub (per catalyst's review)

- Work on #29357 (ActiveOnStartup option for TB) as an 040-must item

- Update my rup.py example code for the latest prop295

- Sponsor 31 meeting

- Scaling meeting

- Possibly, kick off work on some more of my sponsor 19 and 31 stuff.

- 29223 standardized abbrevs?

- 29269 bridge stats?

dgoulet (missing meeting):
  Week of 25 Feb (actual)
    - Proposal changes with teor on #26288. Code was put in needs_review.
    - BridgeDB tickets. The majority is in needs_review waiting on sysrqb.
    - Worked on the git maintenance scripts.
    - Reviews and open couple tickets.
  Week of 4 Mar (planned)
    - AFK.

  Week of 3/04 (planned)
    - Finish #29204 and #29494
    - More research and scaling mails
  Week of 3/04 (actual):
    - Finished #29204
    - Worked on reproducing a vanguards issue; found some onion service bugs
    - Lost glasses; got sick :/
  Week of 3/11 (planned):
    - Vanguards workarounds for onion service bugs
    - Tor scalability
    - #28686 (Nick's stray review comments for wtfpad)
    - #28780 - flag for keeping circuit open (asn: are we sure this is
actually needed?)


    week of 03/04 (2019-W10) (planned):
        - reviews
        - finish up commenting on pubsub
        - expense reporting
        - make some progress on #28925 (distinguish proxy vs PT in
bootstrap) if pubsub stuff works out well
    week of 03/04 (2019-W10) (actual):
        - rotations
        - finished POC hooking up pubsub to bootstrap -- builds but
fails tests because pubsub isn't connected to mainloop yet
        - more comments on pubsub
        - chatted with juga somewhat about strategies to manage
working simultaneously on multiple branches in git
        - updated wiki to clarify meeting times a bit better
(including which canonical time zone is canonical for each meeting)
    week of 03/11 (2019-W11) (planned):
        - reviews
        - write up architectural comments on pubsub
        - work with nickm on pubsub revisions
        - work some more on #28925 (distinguish proxy vs PT in
bootstrap) based on previous work hooking up pubsub to bootstrap
    help with:
        - nickm, progress on #28925 would go more smoothly if you can
commit some patches to your pubsub pull request to hook up pubsub to
the mainloop. do you think you'll have time to do this soon?

        - okay, will try to do it this week -nickm


Week 4 March (planned):

    - Release sbws 1.0.3

    - Test all the children to Monitor relays that are not measured by
each sbws instance (#28547) in the public network and fix them if need

Week 4 March (actual)
    - Released sbws 1.0.3
    - Worked on AsyncResults have no timeout (#28864)
    - Worked on sbws keeps the number of AsyncResults less than the
number of threads #28865)
    - Worked on Create an script to automate releases (#29294)
    - Worked on Add KeyValues to monitor relays that are not measured (#29591)
    - Created (unofficial) debian package/helped dirauth to set sbws(#29290)
    - Worked on converting correctly units, catched thanks to
deploying in production sbws (#29707)
    - Revised and merged tickets
    - Created new tickets which i should get done at the end of the month
    - Closed tickets that do not apply anymore

Week 11 March (plan)
    - New patch release with #29707 fix (and new unofficial debian package)
    - Work on or merge Stop the integration tests http server when the
tests end (#28774)
    - Work on or merge Create an script to automate releases (#29294)
    - Continue with Work out how sbws can report excluded relays in
the bandwidth file (#28563)
    - When sbws stops making progress, log a warning (#28652)
    - Work out how long it takes sbws to measure the network (#28983)

Needs help with:
    - Questions in https://pad.riseup.net/p/fRWXN94cRnJDhJHBj1yt (you
can just reply there)

   [It's public holiday in Greece (clean monday). I will probably be
outside for dinner tonight.]
   Week of 03/04 (actual):
   - Pushed #29221 into needs_review.
   - Started work on #28636. Mid-way there.
   - Pushed #29298 revisions.
   - Did merges.
   - Did reviews.
   Week of 03/11 (planned):
   - Do revisions for #29221, #29298.
   - Finish up roadmap task #29298.
   - Do pending merges/reviews.
   - Check updates on #5708.
   - Check new HSv3 bugs that dgoulet opened (#29665, #29669).
   Help with:

    Week of 3/5 (planned)
        Sponsor 19:
            - Finish #29207
            - Talk with cohosh, gaba, and kat about Report #2
            - End of month stuff: Harvest etc.
    Week of 3/5 (actually):
        Sponsor 19:
            - Talk with cohosh about splitting up #29207 (and that will also
              have to happen for #29206).
            - Look into GeoIP interface in Tor and how we should handle that in
              Snowflake (cohosh just opened #29734 for this).
            - Ditched trying to do JSON Schema stuff in Go for #29207/#29206
              since it became too weird to work with. We should do it after the
              prototype works.
            - Reviews.
            - Did EOM stuff.
    Week of 3/11:
        Sponsor 19:
            - Report #2 meeting Tuesday.
            - Continue with #29207/#29206 with Cohosh.
            - Document protocol changes for #29207/#29206

More information about the tor-project mailing list