[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 20 May 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue May 21 12:10:39 UTC 2019

Hi!  Yesterday's meeting logs are at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-05-20-17.00.html

Here are the recent contents of our meeting pad:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 20 May at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

May schedule:
    * Monday 20 May at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 27 May at 1700 UTC

June schedule:
    * Tuesday 4 June at 2300 UTC
    * Monday 10 June at 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
25 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002280.html
 2 Apr: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-04-02-23.00.html
(we forgot to post the notes)
 8 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002289.html
15 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002296.html
23 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002308.html
29 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002310.html
 6 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002316.html
13 May: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-May/002325.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
      https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr
      Click on 'all boards' and then the network team one. Filter by
your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
.

* See discussion notes below.

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

* First monthly Retrospective is on Thursday May 23rd, 20:00 UTC

-------------------------------
---- 20 May 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in
maint-0.4.0.

== Discussion ==

Rotation updates:

For retrospective meeting on Thursday do people prefer (please vote with +1):

1. Mumble in riseup.net ?

2. Jitsi ? +1 +1

3. Something else (explain).

How do we handle our freeze and freeze period?  Nick has suggestions:

Let's default to "if a feature isn't needs_review by Wednesday, it
isn't going in", with sensible exceptions.

If the initial review suggests that the branch is high-risk, we should
maybe not merge it, depending on impact.

Let's IMMEDIATELY look for MUST items in 041, and try to fix them.
Nick will recreate Teor's "040-must" page for 041.

We can open 042 early if people are all focusing on 041-must fixes.

Please look for 041 problems to fix, or S19 things to do, instead of
getting an early start on 042.

By default we keep 042 closed for a month, but should look at it fresh
each meeting.

== Recommended links ==

"Select male faculty, they said, effectively ran the Institute and
were showered with private donations,
 while women were forced to fire essential staff and were shut out from power."

This article is an excellent analysis of the mechanics of power and
discrimination:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/magazine/salk-institute-discrimination-science.html

On allyship in newsrooms but also in workplaces:
https://source.opennews.org/articles/how-be-ally-newsroom/
In github but a bot for assigning reviews: https://github.com/lmarkus/ReviewBot

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba:

Last week (actual):

. checked sponsor 2 work with mike

. looked at sponsor 27 for the team

. got a few queries that can show me the work

from the last month once I upload data
https://github.com/gabelula/trac-tor/blob/master/2019AprilCoreTor.ipynb
(still I only get closed tickets in the last month and how many points
all those tickets took but not necessarily all the work done last
month)

. sent a mail with retrospective date

This week (planned):

check sponsor V work until now

Help with:

teor: (online for 23 April, then on leave until 21 May)

* AFK

Nick:
    Week of 13 May (planned):
        - Reviews and merge as top priority
        - Work on 29024 [PT support in chutney] for obfs4 at least
        - Freeze 0.4.1.x
        - Start on (and finish?) an alpha release
        - Privcount, time permitting
        - More work on 30414, time permitting, if review happens

    Week of 13 May (actual):
        - lots of review and merge
        - 0.4.1.x freeze, except for items marked postfreeze-ok
        - chutney support for obfs4 done (29024)
        - WTF-Pad test determinism (28878)
        - More work on test determinism (30519)
        - Work on pending coverity issues in tests (30150)

        - started a changelog for 0.4.1.1-alpha
        - initial ticket triage for 0.4.1
        - new release-status page for 0.4.1

    Week of 20 May (planned):
        - Review and merge as top priority
        - S19 work as second priority.
        - 041 work as needed
        - try to triage and assign 041 tasks
        - try to release 0.4.1.1-alpha
        - Work on privcount integration, time permitting

    Help with:
        - Everyone, please look at the 041 status page (
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
) and see whether there is anything in the last secton (neither
041-must or 041-should) that you think should be 041-must or should.
        - Also, please check whether there is anything assigned for
041 to you that you cannot do in the next week or two. (We're aiming
for a Stable in mid-August, which implies that a release-candidate in
mid-July is necessary.)

dgoulet:
  Week of 05/06 (actual):
    - Reviews and merges (See timeline).
    - Work on #26288 child tickets.
    - Resolve important issue found by armadev about prop289 code: #30428
    - While working on the #15516 defenses, find out that #30440 is a big
      problem so we are falling back to a token bucket approach instead.
    - Found #30454 issue in the HS code and made a fix for it.
    - Opened #30466 which is related to #30440.
    - Did worked hard on implementing a unit test for #26288 but ultimately
      couldn't achieve it with our current code setup :S.
   Week of 05/13 (planned):
    - Rush anything needed for the freeze. In particular, some child tickets
      in #26288.
    - Work on the #15516 Plan B which is token bucket rate limit design.
    - Make progress in #30382 which changed to using SOCKS error.
    - REMINDER: Will be offline on Thu and Fri.

Mike:
  Week of 5/13 (planned):
    - Get child tickets of
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28634 merged
  Week of 5/13 (actual):
    - Got https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28634 and
children merged,
  Week of 5/20 (planned):
    - Bugfixing
    - Peer feedback, doh!
    - Spend time getting back up to speed on CI/Coverity
    - Work on circpad documentation; start mailing researchers

catalyst:

    week of 05/13 (2019-W20) (planned):
        - reviews
        - #29976
        - peer feedback (2) and team leader feedback
    week of 05/13 (2019-W20) (actual):
        - reviews
        - peer feedback (2) and team leader feedback done
    week of 05/20 (2019-W21) (planned):
        - reviews
        - bug triage rotation
        - #29976

asn:
   Week of 05/13 (planned):
   - Continue coding #30381 so that we unblock the TB team.
   - Keep on working on the DoS stuff by the side.
   - Got lots of reviews for this week. Got a few more last midweek, so I got
     stuff to do here.
   Week of 05/13 (actual):
   - Pretty big delta from the "planned" week since we got overflowed by
     WTF-PAD tasks last week given the 041 freeze. Spent most of the week
     testing, revising and rebasing #28634, #28780 and #29085.
Everything is merged now,
     so hooray us!
   - Finished all peer feedback.
   - Did a meeting with hackerone and paid out a bug hunter for old bugs.
   - Bug triage duty: The bug triage queries are empty again.
   - Was sick on Friday.
   Week of 05/20 (actual):
   - Will be medically away for most of the week. Will try to be back on Friday
     but still unclear. Will also try to attend the retrospective.

ahf
    Week of 13/5 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Finish #28849 when we (PT community and us) agrees on
spec changes.
            - Begin #28930 code.
            - Rebase #29736 code on top of master and see what is missing.
        Misc:
            - Submit peer review to people's respective team leaders.
    Week of 13/5 (actually):
        Network team:
            - Submitted patch for #5304 (OutboundBindAddress support in PT's)
            - Began working on #28930 (proxy/pt phase reordering) with
some help from catalyst.
            - Wrote patches and revised spec changes for #28849
(dormant support in PT's)
        Misc:
            - Submitted peer review of everyone -- took longer than I had
              thought for the last parts (I hope!)
            - Spend Friday in the holiday house due to "Great Prayer Day" in DK.
    Week of 20/5 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Follow up on revision requests of #5304 and #28930
            - Finish #28930
            - Finish my last bits on some Snowflake patches that I have kept
              postponing (will probably spend all of Thursday or Friday on
              that).

juga(offline):
    Week of 05/13 (planned)
       - Continue with #30311, #30406, #30373 as needed
    Week of 05/13 (actual)
       - Continued with #30406: Refactor header constants in sbws to
use Stem's one
    Week of 05/20 (plan)
       - Add Tor version to the bandwidth file (#30196)