[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 29 April 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Tue Apr 30 19:23:21 UTC 2019

Hi all!

Our meeting logs are available at
https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-2019.1-keep .

Below are our meeting notes:
---------------------
= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 29 April at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

April schedule:
    * Monday 29 April at 1700 UTC

May schedule:
    * Monday 6 May at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 13 May at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 20 May at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 27 May at 1700 UTC

June schedule:
    * Tuesday 4 June at 2300 UTC
    * Monday 10 June at 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
25 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002280.html
 2 Apr: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-04-02-23.00.html
(we forgot to post the notes)
 8 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002289.html
15 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002296.html
23 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002308.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.0 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/040Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
      https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr
      Click on 'all boards' and then the network team one. Filter by
your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
.

* See discussion notes below.

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

* Remember to book travel for meeting as soon as possible.
  The rate lock deadline is 10 May, please ask for approval in advance
-- several days before 10 May at the very latest.

-------------------------------
---- 29th April 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in
maint-0.4.0.

We need to prioritize 0.4.0 fixes and reviews in April, because stable
was due on 15 April.

== Discussion ==

Rotation updates:

Bug triage - nick to dgoulet

The Bug Triage role description and queries is on the wiki at:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations#ActiveWeeklyroles

nickm says: Not much to pass on here.  There weren't a lot of new
issues to triage.

CI - ahf to asn

       https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures
       - One issue with Travis appeared on tor.git's master and was
solved quickly by Nick.

Coverity - ahf to asn

One issue appeared. Opened ticket #30328 (CID: 1444769) - we think it
might be a false positive, but the Coverity scan site is not working
right now. Reached out to them on Twitter to see if it can be fixed.

[In other news, coverity scan seems to have TLS issues that are
keeping nick's automatic updates from working.  If anybody can provide
a correct incantation to "curl https://scan.coverity.com/ " in a way
that works, that would rock. -nickm]

0.4.0 status:

Other discussion:

Are we ready for 0.4.0.x-stable? n

== Recommended links ==

"Select male faculty, they said, effectively ran the Institute and
were showered with private donations,
 while women were forced to fire essential staff and were shut out from power."

This article is an excellent analysis of the mechanics of power and
discrimination:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/magazine/salk-institute-discrimination-science.html

On allyship in newsrooms but also in workplaces:
https://source.opennews.org/articles/how-be-ally-newsroom/

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba:

Last week (actual):

- s27

This week (planned):

- report on s27 for April: https://nc.riseup.net/s/ii5jBiZM7sEKToC

- send a mail to the team about setting up monthly retrospectives

- send a mail to the team about meeting for discussion on moving out
of temporal roles into permanent ones <- I will wait until Teor is
back.

Help with:

- if you are working on a s27 ticket please look at
https://nc.riseup.net/s/ii5jBiZM7sEKToC and add it if it is not there.

teor: (online for 23 April, then on leave until 21 May)

* AFK

Nick:
    Week of 22 (planned):
        - Review & merge!
        - Look at 29136 per request from Damian
        - Look at 30235 per request from Teor
        - Pending peer review issues
        - BUG triage.  Pick up from Mike
        - Revise ticket 30091 [unified parsing in control.c] per review
        - Revise ticket 29223 [abbreviations] per review
        - More refactoring on control.c, if we can land 30091.
        - Plan refactoring on config.c
        - If time permits: More pubsub users
        - If time permits: ADL prototype.

    Week of 22 April (actual):
        - Started refactoring periodic event system. (30293)

     - Revised 30091 (control.c parsing); got it merge_ready.

        - Bug triage; not much to do this last week.
        - Review & Merge: lots.
        - Planned some pubsub users
        - Some work on chutney CI issue backlog
        - Performance improvements for node selection (30291)

    Week of 29 Apr (planned):
        - Implement another pubsub user or two
        - Once 30007 is merge, more control.c refactoring
        - Review and merge, as required.
        - Once 30293 is merged, more periodic event refactoring
        - MIT lecture on Wednesday
        - Various meetings
        - 0.4.0 stable release?

dgoulet:
    Week of 22/04 (actual):
      - Revised #26288 from nickm's review (Authenticated SENDME).
      - Reviewed and merged a series of ticket (see Timeline).
      - Investigated #29607 (HS DDoSed). Along with asn, we designed an
        experiment to reproduce the INTRODUCE2 flood. We can now reliably
        reproduce and thus test any fixes or/and improvements.
      - Open #30291 after profiling tor during that particular type of DoS
        mentionned above.
      - Had a series of calls with asn to plan and organize s27 roadmap.
      - Discussion with Mike about the test network for the tor-scaling group.
      - Discussion with Roger on HS DDoS possible defenses idea.
    Week of 29/04 (planned):
      - Continue to work on HS DDoS defenses for s27 (#29999). More
        specifically, think about #15516 or any other possible defenses we can
        think of.
      - Review and merge, the usual.
      - Do whatever is necessary to get #26288 merged. We are almost there!

Mike:
  Week of 4/23 (planned)
    - Scalability planning & discussion
      - write wiki page of experiments; sketch out current research
kanban; attend meeting
    - Book lots of travel (I hope ;) \o/
    - Maybe work on needs_revision #28636 items (probably not)
    - Maybe catch up on code reviews (probably not)
  Week of 4/23 (actual):
    - Worked on
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/CoreTor/PerformanceExperiments
and
      https://storm.torproject.org/shared/k0SG5SfFTGGCsR0poyekmpSb-hLfLynJAUERHyMbGc4
and tor-scalability agenda
    - Code review
    - Ohter meetings
  Week of 4/30 (planned):
    - Update experiments page with comments from meeting; write followup mails
    - Book lots of travel (I hope ;) \o/
    - Work on needs_revision #28636 items
    - Catch up on code reviews

catalyst:

    week of 04/22 (2019-W17) (planned):
        - reviews
        - peer feedback (2)
        - finish up reviewing control-cmd
        - clean up control-proto (need to coordinate with nickm)
    week of 04/22 (2019-W17) (actual):
        - reviews
        - some comments about #29209 (data hiding in structs)
        - finished reviewing #30091 control-cmd
        - #30007 (refactoring control response output) ready for review
    week of 04/29 (2019-W18) (planned):
        - reviews
        - clean up #29976 (rework bootstrap reporting to use pubsub) for review
        - peer feedback (2)
        - team leader feedback
        - more following up on #29209 if needed

asn:
   Week of 04/08 (planned):
   - Will focus on the #29209 s31 deliverable this week. I hope to have it done
     by the end of the week, so that I can focus on s27 for the rest of the
     month.
   Week of 04/08 (actual):
   - Pushed #29209 to needs_review. It's basically a limited version of the
     actual deliverable, where we hide a part of crypt_path_t. Left general
     thoughts about the task in the ticket.
   - Worked more on #28634 after Mike's review. Needs some more work before
     being back in needs_review.
   - Reviewed #28780 as part of Sponsor2.
   - Did more triaging and discussion on Sponsor27
   - Fixed some bugs we got from hackerone.
   - Did reviews/merges.
   Week of 04/15 (planned):
   - Push #28634 back to needs_review.
   - Start doing initial Sponsor27 work, and brief up David.
   - Review/test more leftover WTF-PAD stuff.
   - Finish up travel arrangements for Stockholm/AllHands

ahf (will be traveling at that time and offline):
    Week of 4/24 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Submit patch for #29930 to remove warning when unlink() fails.
            - Try to reimplement tor_cond_wait() to use a
ConditionVariable for #30187
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Walk over WebSocket patches with cohosh and see how the
stats collection code fits in for #29207 (and friends)
        Misc:
            - Book train to Stockholm
            - CI+coverity duty: I've seen the coverity issue that
showed up today.
    Week of 4/24 (actually):
        Network-team:
            - Submitted patch for #29930.
            - Wrote a patch for #30187, but it didn't work on my
Windows 7 test machine. Going to re-investigate this week.
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Working on remaining Snowflake tasks.
        Misc:
            - Booked train to Stockholm.
            - Opened #30328 for Coverity, assigned it to me and will dive into
              once Coverity works normally again.
            - Spend a day writing peer reviews. I think following Tim's advice
              from the ML is a good idea with spreading out a bit. Took longer
              than I had thought.
            - Talked with Steph about doing a talk about Tor in Switzerland.
            - Hacked a bit on a webservice to collect info from Travis
and AppVeyor for the CI role.
    Week of 4/29 (planned)
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Finish off all my tasks here and hand them over.
        Misc:
            - Continue with writing peer reviews (3/8 remaining).

juga:
   Week of 04/22 (planned):
      - Depending on which has higher priority, work on #29710
children or #30255 children (it seems this needs more discussion and
or proposals)
   Week of 04/22 (actual):

   - Commented #30311, #30255

Week of 04/29 (plan);

   - Add HeaderLine to the bandwidth file specification (#30311)

   - Add Tor version to the bandwidth file (#30196)