[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 6 May 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Wed May 8 13:58:22 UTC 2019

Hi!

Our meeting logs are at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-05-06-17.01.html

Below are our notes:
= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 6 May at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

May schedule:
    * Monday 6 May at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 13 May at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 20 May at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 27 May at 1700 UTC

June schedule:
    * Tuesday 4 June at 2300 UTC
    * Monday 10 June at 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
25 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002280.html
 2 Apr: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-04-02-23.00.html
(we forgot to post the notes)
 8 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002289.html
15 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002296.html
23 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002308.html
29 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002310.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.0 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/040Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
      https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr
      Click on 'all boards' and then the network team one. Filter by
your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
.

* See discussion notes below.

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

* Remember to book travel for meeting as soon as possible.
  The rate lock deadline is 10 May, please ask for approval in advance
-- several days before 10 May at the very latest.
  Start to think about issues/themes/discussions for the Tor meetup in July.

* Remember to fill in the doodle for monthly retrospective
https://doodle.com/poll/8xhmkm3zqmzdg8pe

-------------------------------
---- 6th May 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in
maint-0.4.0.

We need to prioritize 0.4.0 fixes and reviews in April, because stable
was due on 15 April.

== Discussion ==

Rotation updates:

Bug triage - dgoulet to ahf

The Bug Triage role description and queries is on the wiki at:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations#ActiveWeeklyroles

CI - asn to catalyst

       https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures
       - One issue with Travis appeared on tor.git's master and was
solved quickly by Nick.

Coverity - asn to catalyst

One issue appeared. Opened ticket #30328 (CID: 1444769) - we think it
might be a false positive, but the Coverity scan site is not working
right now. Reached out to them on Twitter to see if it can be fixed.

[In other news, coverity scan seems to have TLS issues that are
keeping nick's automatic updates from working.  If anybody can provide
a correct incantation to "curl https://scan.coverity.com/ " in a way
that works, that would rock. -nickm]

Other discussion:

Are we ready for 0.4.0.x-stable?

== Recommended links ==

"Select male faculty, they said, effectively ran the Institute and
were showered with private donations,
 while women were forced to fire essential staff and were shut out from power."

This article is an excellent analysis of the mechanics of power and
discrimination:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/18/magazine/salk-institute-discrimination-science.html

On allyship in newsrooms but also in workplaces:
https://source.opennews.org/articles/how-be-ally-newsroom/

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba:

Last week (actual):

This week (planned):

still not moved into nextcloud for roadmap... trying to see if it will
be a permanent place and we need to migrate or not.

Help with:

teor: (online for 23 April, then on leave until 21 May)

* AFK

Nick:
    Week of 29 Apr (planned):
        - Implement another pubsub user or two
        - Once 30007 is merge, more control.c refactoring
        - Review and merge, as required.
        - Once 30293 is merged, more periodic event refactoring
        - MIT lecture on Wednesday
        - Various meetings
        - 0.4.0 stable release?

    Week of 29 Apr (actual):
        - Finally started ADL prototype
        - more review and merges
        - more submodule/periodic refactoring, with focus on
relay-only periodic events.

    Week of 6 May (planned):
        - Finish up ADL prototype
        - More refactoring
        - Work on PTs in chutney?
        - Lots of reviews and merges
        - Meetings most of the day on Tuesday
        - finish up relay-periodic events branch and get it merged,
then fill in some gaps from it that would be well suited for pubsub.

dgoulet:
  Week of 29/04 (actual):
    - Discussions with asn and armadev on #15516 and #29607 (HS DDoS).
    - Got #26288 merged after reviews and more testing. Opend new child
      tickets. Worked on one of them. Finalizing the rest next week.
    - Ran performance measurements on #30291
    - Reviews and merges, the usual (see Timeline).
  Week of 05/06 (planned):
    - Get #26288 child tickets merged and close the entire proposal.
    - Work on #30382 (sponsor 27 side) and test it with our #29607 test-bed.
    - Reviews and merges.

Mike:
  Week of 4/30 (planned)
    - Update experiments page with comments from meeting; write followup mails
    - Book lots of travel (I hope ;) \o/
    - Work on needs_revision #28636 items
    - Catch up on code reviews
  Week of 4/30 (actual):
    - Update experiments page with comments from meeting; write followup mails
    - Booked important travel; need to do stipend and other things still
    - Work on needs_revision #28636 items
    - Catch up on code reviews
    - Triaged Sponsor2 041 tickets (all are
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28634)
  Week of 5/6 (planned):
    - PETS stipend, registration, and hotel logistics
    - Get child tickets of
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28634 merged or
needs_review
  Need help with:
    - Discuss https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28780
with Nick, asn some more

catalyst:

    week of 04/29 (2019-W18) (planned):
        - reviews
        - clean up #29976 (rework bootstrap reporting to use pubsub) for review
        - peer feedback (2)
        - team leader feedback
        - more following up on #29209 if needed
    week of 04/29 (2019-W18) (actual):
        - reviews
        - more commenting on #29209
        - some cleanup of #29976
        - tried to investigate some clock skew issues reported on #tor
        - found out about a Windows command line equivalent of `date
-u`, kind of
        - [redacted]
    week of 05/06 (2019-W19) (planned):
        - reviews
        - CI + Coverity rotation
        - get #29976 ready for review
        - peer feedback (2) and team leader feedback
        - open more bootstrap reporting improvement tickets

asn:
   Week of 04/29 (planned):
   Week of 04/29 (actual):
   - Finalized april s31 deliverable (#30236).
   - Another round of review and discussions on a variety of WTF-PAD
     matters:  #28634, #28693, #28780, #30173
   - More work on s27 o1a2. Decided that next tasks are #15516 and #26294.
   - More work on s27 o2a2 (#14389). Decided that next tasks are
#30381 and #30382.
     Pushed suggested control patch in
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-May/013798.html
   - Did a meeting about naming onions.
   - Handled some namecoin matters.
   - Reviews and merges as usual.
   Week of 05/06 (planned):
   - Hopefully finalize open WTF-PAD tasks.
   - Work more on #30381.
   - Work more on #15516.
   - Reviews and merges.
   Help needed:
   - Mike, David told me that he doesn't know what you mean in #29034.

ahf
    Week of 4/29 (planned)
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Finish off all my tasks here and hand them over.
        Misc:
            - Continue with writing peer reviews (3/8 remaining).
    Week of 4/29 (actually)
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Continue with Snowflake tasks.
        Misc:
            - Finished my peer reviews.
            - End of month tasks.
            - Was away some of Thursday/Friday evening for some event
planning in the weekend.
    Week of 5/6 (planned):
        Network team:
            - Bug triage role.
            - Look at network team S19 tickets for May after the
network team meeting.
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Cleaning up Snowflake patches for cohosh/dcf to review.

juga(offline):

 Week of 04/29 (planned);

    - Add HeaderLine to the bandwidth file specification (#30311)

    - Add Tor version to the bandwidth file (#30196)

    Week of 04/29 (actual);
       - Add HeaderLine to the bandwidth file specification (#30311)
       - Refactor header constants in sbws to use Stem's one (#30406)
    Week of 05/06 (plan)
       - Add Tor version to the bandwidth file (#30196)
       - Most headers non-compliant with spec (#30373)