[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 15 April

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Apr 15 22:47:01 UTC 2019

Hi!

You can find our meeting log at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-04-15-16.59.html

Here are our notes from the meeting:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 15 April at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

April schedule:
    * Tuesday 2 April at 2300 UTC
    * Monday  8 April at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 15 April at 1700 UTC
    * Tuesday 23 April at 2300 UTC (Monday 22 April is the Easter
Monday public holiday, teor is on leave for the first meeting in May)
    * (teor goes on leave)
    * Monday 29 April at 1700 UTC

May schedule:
    * Monday 6 May at 1700 UTC (teor will  not be in this meeting)

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
18 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002263.html
25 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002280.html
 2 Apr: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-04-02-23.00.html
(we forgot to post the notes)
 8 Apr: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002289.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.0 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/040Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming
up? We're using a kanban board:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr
<-- filter by your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments!

How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the needs-review tickets, by reviewer:
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&reviewer=!&max=300&col=id&col=summary&col=reviewer&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=reviewer&report=82

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
.

* See discussion notes below.

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

-------------------------------
---- 15th April 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in
maint-0.4.0.

We need to prioritize 0.4.0 fixes and reviews in April, because stable
is due on 15 April.

== Discussion ==

Change the meeting time of  Tuesday 23 April to 2300 UTC so we can
include Teor (they are going on leave after that). YES

Change the meeting of Tuesday 7 May at 2300 UTC to Monday 6 May at
1700 UTC because that week Teor will be on leave (no reason to move
meeting). YES

(not much to discuss) What to sponsor for 2020? We could have some
inital thoughts on priorities (not necessary if you don't have time
right now, there will be other opportunities when the grant
oportunities come up). This pad summarize discussion in several places
for the network team:  https://pad.riseup.net/p/Pp3o8e9U6jH5DauxjxK8

(not much to discuss) Google season of docs - we are aplying to
improve technical documentation. We need mentor/s from the team. Their
tasks will be:

help select technical writers

be available for consults that the technical writes may have about documentation

More info at https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/admin-mentor-responsibilities.
They will need to be register in the website (google acount) and Pili
is coordinating (to submit by April 23rd). PLEASE send a msg to Pili
(cc me) if you want to be a mentor.

(not much to discuss) Roadmap update. Nick and Gaba are going to go
through the roadmap and check if anything needs to be
updated/changed/re-prioritized. It will be in an open session in case
other people in the team want to be involved. Tuesday 23rd of April at
1700 UTC (if we are moving the weekly meeting to later) on jitsi. Send
gaba a msg if you want to attend.

Can people add themselves as owner of the ticket when they start
working on it? for example, is somebody working on #29223 (nickm?)
[done -nickm], #29210 (nickm?) ? [shared between nickm and catalyst
-nickm] thanks

teor says: I can't do bug triage on 29 April, because I'll be away.

Rotation updates (from nickm):

Bug triage

Started with 4 no-component items, some 3 months old.

Started with 55 no-milestone "core tor/tor" items, some 3-7 months
old. Many but not all from Brussels.  Some but not many marked
04x-proposed.

Had over 100 new incoming emails with bugtracker events to look at.

Tried to assign tags as appropriate; worried that I missed some.
Worried that if I missed some, there's no way to see what the backlog
is for assigning tags.

I don't know how to assign milestones to SBWS tickets.

Current Status: 0 no-component, 0 no-milestone.

CI

Mysterious i386/xenial failures -- not sure how to procede.  (If it's
still happening.)

Resolved #29922, delegated #29645.

Told weasel about a disk-exhaustion condition on jenkins; he resolved it.

Current status: travis and appveyor are passing. Current Tor jenkins
failures are

tor-ci-linux-0.3.5-extra-arm (stretch, armhf) -- Java exception, seems
like a Jenkins issue.

tor-ci-freebsd-amd64-0.2.9/ -- longstanding failure, two unit tests
failing. (test_bt and fgets_eagain)

Coverity

Started the week with 44 pending coverity issues.

Opened 30146 to work on the most important-looking.  Some children in
needs_review.

Will work on more once the current children of 30146 are solved.

Current status: 42 pending coverity issues; 30146 should solve many, I hope.

== Recommended links ==

"The way you address the problem is by shipping changes not more
slowly, but more QUICKLY.
Fewer, smaller changesets turn into debuggable, understandable deploys."
(The whole thread is a good read.)
https://twitter.com/mipsytipsy/status/1117902725620977664?s=21

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba (a little distracted but here):

Last Week of 03/08 (actual):

- capacity for s27 and timeline on the project - it will happen when
dgoulet is back

- move s27 tickets into roadmap - it will happen after discussion on timeline

- grant strategy with grants team includes priorities for funding for
network team - it will happen this week

- opened tor-scalability mailing list
https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-scaling

- updated tor on trac wiki page

- compiled https://storm.torproject.org/shared/G3CvVVTiJuA5CRTeuQSmm8zRaPTjagnVMhMosmpK3C0

This Week (planned):

- grant strategy meeting

- self-feedback

- test new nextcould instance

Help with:

finding a mentor for technical writer google season of docs

voting for priorities for 2020 in https://pad.riseup.net/p/Pp3o8e9U6jH5DauxjxK8

read torontrac wiki page. I added a few things like points and owner
to that list. https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/process/TorOnTrac

teor: (offline except for the first meeting each month)

Week of 8 Apr (planned):

    Notes:

        - I won't be doing reviews or merges until Wednesday or
Thursday, so I can get some roadmap coding done. +1

    High-Priority:

        - Do mainline merges and backport merges

    Roadmap:

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729 and children

        - Other roadmap reviews

    Other:

        - Assigned reviews

Week of 8 Apr (actual):

    Notes:

        - I made it through Monday and Tuesday, then CI started
failing regularly.

    High-Priority:

        - Do mainline merges and backport merges

        - Diagnose test-stem failures in CI #29437 and children

    Roadmap:

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729 and children

    Other:

Week of 15 Apr (planned):

    Notes:

        - I won't be doing reviews or merges until Wednesday or
Thursday, so I can get some roadmap coding done.

    High-Priority:

        - Diagnose test-stem failures in CI #29437 and children

        - Post 0.4.0.4-rc backport merges

        - Any mainline merges

        - Self-Feedback and maybe Team Lead Feedback

    Roadmap:

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729 and children

        - Other roadmap reviews

    Other:

        - Assigned reviews

    Help with:

        - I'm going on leave in 2 weeks time, so I'm going to focus on
work that I can't give away to other people.

        - Once #30122 merges into Stem, can someone help diagnose
#29437? [I'd love to try, if I can reproduce it -nm]

Nick:
  Week of 8 April (planned):
      - PETS discussion
      - Finish control.c command-parsing refactoring
      - Finalize draft abbrevs list.
      - More review and merge
      - 040 release

 - Write a couple of users for publish/subscribe logic.

      - CI failure tickets:
          #29645                   test.exe hangs on Appveyor CI
          #29922                 util/time test failure on Jenkins
      -  I would like to  to take time off between 17 and 19 April. 22
April (monday) is a state holiday for me. Is that okay with everybody?
+1000

  Week of 8 April (actual):
      - PETS discussion
      - Finished refactoring control command-line parsing; see 30091.
(I'm excited to do more here once it's merged and catalyst's 30007 is
in.)
      - Finished draft list of abbreviations for S31. Where do we go
from there? (See 29223.)
      - Review and merge, more.
      - Fixed 29922 to get CI happy again.
      - Reviewed hackerone tickets
      - released 0.4.0.4-rc
      - CI & Coverity rotation. See discussion above.
      - Bug triage. See discussion above.

  Week of 15 April (planned):
      - Short vacation: Today is a state holiday for me; I'll be
taking off next Monday instead since that better aligns with other
people's holidays.
      - Short vacation: I'm also taking off from Wednesday through
Friday.  I'll see personally addressed email and Signal; all lists
will go into my "after-vacation" folder.
      - Review & merge, especially 26288 (authenticated sendme) and
29209 (cpath encapsulation)
      - Time permitting, either add a pubsub user, or work on an ADL thing.
      - I want to prioritize working on stuff that would block others.
Please let me know where you are blocking on me.

dgoulet (missing meeting):
    - AFK.

Mike:
  Week of 4/8 (planned)
    - Scalability planning & discussion
    - Plan lots of travel
    - Vanguards release
    - Finalize plan for keeping circuits open (#28780)
    - #29034 patch
    - Catch up on code reviews
  Week of 4/8 (actual):
    - Started working on performance+scalability experiments wiki page
    - Tax stuff
    - Organized neccessary wtf-pad items for working padding machine
into child tickets of #28634
    - Fixes for some child tickets of #28634 (#30092, #28780)
    - Fix for #29034 (HS relability bug found during padding work)
    - Tagged a vanguards release (0.3.1)
  Week of 4/15 (planned):
    - Work on child tickets of #28634
    - Help asn with/review #28634 machine definitions
    - Vanguards blog post (pending debian packages)
    - Book travel

catalyst:

    week of 04/08 (2019-W15) (planned):
        - reviews
        - finish up control.c protocol splitting (#30007)
        - get bootpubsub ready to review (#29976)
    week of 04/08 (2019-W15) (actual):
        - reviews
        - travel logistics
        - preliminary review on control.c command parsing refactor
        - cleaning up #30007 (control.c protocol splitting) -- rebased
on new control-cmd branch; fought with Coccinelle some more
    week of 04/15 (2019-W16) (planned):
        - reviews
        - travel logistics
        - get #30007 into a reviewable shape
        - coordinate with nickm on control.c stuff as needed

asn:
   Week of 04/08 (planned):
   - Will focus on the #29209 s31 deliverable this week. I hope to have it done
     by the end of the week, so that I can focus on s27 for the rest of the
     month.
   Week of 04/08 (actual):
   - Pushed #29209 to needs_review. It's basically a limited version of the
     actual deliverable, where we hide a part of crypt_path_t. Left general
     thoughts about the task in the ticket.
   - Worked more on #28634 after Mike's review. Needs some more work before
     being back in needs_review.
   - Reviewed #28780 as part of Sponsor2.
   - Did more triaging and discussion on Sponsor27
   - Fixed some bugs we got from hackerone.
   - Did reviews/merges.
   Week of 04/15 (planned):
   - Push #28634 back to needs_review.
   - Start doing initial Sponsor27 work, and brief up David.
   - Review/test more leftover WTF-PAD stuff.
   - Finish up travel arrangements for Stockholm/AllHands

ahf:
    Week of 4/8 (planned)
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Continue with #29736.
        Network team:
            - Solve 040-must #29930 (figure out why the file is still open).
        Misc:
            - Figure out PETS logistics.
            - I will probably be away some of Wednesday.
    Week of 4/8 (actually)
        Network team:
            - Trying to figure out #29930, but cannot figure out yet why we get
              the permission denied here. The file does not seem open when I
              use a debugger.
            - Been trying to reproduce #29645 locally with the PowerShell
              scripts that AppVeyor is running.
        Anti-censorship team:
            - WebSocket integration in go-proxy code for #29736.
        Misc:
            - Was off Wednesday
            - Roger solved the PETS questions I had via email.
    Week of 4/15 (planned)
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Talk with cohosh about #29207/#29206
            - Re-read Kat's report #2 and give some feedback.
        Network team:
            - Continue with #29930, #29645, and #30187
        Misc:
            - Easter in Denmark coming up: will likely be less online Thursday
              and Friday this week.