[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 8 April 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Apr 8 17:29:01 UTC 2019

Here are our logs:
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-04-08-17.00.html

Below are our notes:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 8 April at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

April schedule:
    * Tuesday 2 April at 2300 UTC
    * Monday  8 April at 1700 UTC
    * Monday 15 April at 1700 UTC
    * Tuesday 23 April at 1700 UTC (Monday 22 April is the Easter
Monday public holiday)
    * Monday 29 April at 1700 UTC
    * teor will probably be on leave at the end of April

May schedule:
    * Tuesday 7 May at 2300 UTC <-- teor may not be in this meeting.
let's check with them if it makes sense to have it on Tuesday

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
 5 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002244.html
11 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002252.html
18 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-March/002263.html
25 Mar: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-April/002280.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* How are we managing CI failures from last week?
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

* Let's check the 0.4.0 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/040Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming
up? We're using a kanban board:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr
<-- filter by your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments!

How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the needs-review tickets, by reviewer:
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&reviewer=!&max=300&col=id&col=summary&col=reviewer&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=reviewer&report=82

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

-------------------------------
---- 8th April 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

- The master branch is now 0.4.1.x; 0.4.0 development will continue in
maint-0.4.0.

- US DST began a few weeks ago; let's be careful with schedules

Then we need to prioritize 0.4.0 fixes and reviews in March and April,
because stable is due on 15 April.

- Anti-censorship team is up: Gaba moved s19 stuff into
anti-censorship team own roadmap. That teams meets every Thursday.
- Onion Services proposal tickets will go into roadmap possible this
week (right now they are in the board in its own column).

== Discussion ==

- Should we remove dgoulet from the April rotations? Yes

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba:

Last Week of 04/01 (actual):

   - process mails

- tor scaling follow up

- s27 roadmapping (onion services)

- compile overall understand on plans/brainstorming/future-roadmap for
the team (for grant strategy meeting next week)

- capacity and cloning asn

- send own travel expenses request for july meeting

- move s19 tickets out of network team roadmap

- talked with people about the bug

This Week of 03/08 (planned):

- capacity for s27 and timeline on the project

- move s27 tickets into roadmap

- grant strategy with grants team includes priorities for funding for
network team

teor: (offline except for the first meeting each month)

Week of 1 Apr (planned):

    High-Priority:

        - Do wiki trac query status pages for each network team role

        - Backport merge fixes needed for CI with Chutney/Tor to Tor 0.2.9

        - Do mainline merges and backport merges

        - 040 bugfix reviews

        - Hack out quick fixes to #29500 and #29437

    Roadmap:

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729

        - Review nickm's parts of the CI with Chutney/Tor tickets: #29280

        - Other roadmap reviews

    Other:

        - Assigned reviews

        - Do remaining reviews from last week

        - Add a travis test for stem (it's a copy of the chutney test,
but using the stem command)

Week of 1 Apr (actual):

    High-Priority:

        - Backport merge fixes needed for CI with Chutney/Tor to Tor 0.2.9

        - Do mainline merges and backport merges

        - Did a CI failures status page:

          https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CIFailures

    Roadmap:

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729 and children

        - Other roadmap reviews

    Other:

        - Assigned reviews

Week of 8 Apr (planned):

    High-Priority:

        - Do mainline merges and backport merges

    Roadmap:

        - CI with Chutney/Tor: #29729 and children

        - Other roadmap reviews

    Other:

        - Assigned reviews

    Notes:

        I won't be doing reviews or merges until Wednesday or
Thursday, so I can get some roadmap coding done +1

    Help with:

Nick:

Week of 1 April (planned):

- Try to fix remaining 040-must issue:

- Reopened Can't parse networkstatus consensus time (#28614)

- 040 release?

- Lots of review and merge

- Control.c refactoring: try to better unify command-parsing logic

- Prepare for presentation at Tufts on Saturday

- Write a couple of users for publish/subscribe logic

- Time permitting, adl/rup revisions

  Week of 1 April (actual):
      - Worked on and came to resolution or diagnostics for 040-must issues:

- Reopened Can't parse networkstatus consensus time (#28614)

- 29437 -- test-stem timeout. (This was HARD)

 - Lots of review and merge

 - control.c refactoring: unified command-parsing logic. perhaps
eventually useful for config and state and parsecommon too?

 - Presented on Tufts about a student paper; helped clarify thoughts

 - PETS review

  Week of 8 April (planned):
      - PETS discussion
      - Finish control.c command-parsing refactoring
      - Finalize draft abbrevs list.
      - More review and merge
      - 040 release

 - Write a couple of users for publish/subscribe logic.

      - CI failure tickets:
          #29645                   test.exe hangs on Appveyor CI
          #29922                 util/time test failure on Jenkins
      -  I would like to  to take time off between 17 and 19 April. 22
April (monday) is a state holiday for me. Is that okay with everybody?
+1000

dgoulet (missing meeting):
    - AFK.

Mike:
  Week of 4/1 (planned)
    - Scalability planning & discussion
    - Plan lots of travel
    - Finalize plan for keeping circuits open (#28780)
    - #29034 patch
    - Catch up on code reviews
  Week of 4/1 (actual):
    - Lots of Tor scalability discussion & thought
    - Continued testing vanguard fixes
    - #29500 and #29900 rabbithole and discussion
    - DMV bureaucracy+life issues
  Week of 4/8 (planned):
    - Scalability planning & discussion
    - Plan lots of travel
    - Vanguards release
    - Finalize plan for keeping circuits open (#28780)
    - #29034 patch
    - Catch up on code reviews

catalyst:

    week of 04/01 (2019-W14) (planned):
        - bug triage rotation
        - reviews
        - clean up pubsub rework of bootstrap reporting
        - look into control.c protocol and events refactoring
        - travel planning/req
    week of 04/01 (2019-W14) (actual):
        - bug triage
        - reviews
        - submitted travel request
        - preliminary control.c protocol formatting splitting (#30007)
        - a little more bootpubsub work
    week of 04/08 (2019-W15) (planned):
        - reviews
        - finish up control.c protocol splitting (#30007)
        - get bootpubsub ready to review (#29976)

asn:
   Week of 04/03 (planned):
   - Continue work on #28634. Still some rough edges to iron out, so that we
     reach something mergeable. In particular, I need to finish the bandwidth
     overhead analysis.
   - Start working on April roadmap items. Is it S31 or S27?
   Week of 04/03 (actual):
   - Did some more of #28634. Finished the bandwidth overhead analysis and did a
     bit more testing. Ticket is still in needs_review.
   - Started work on #29209 s31 deliverable. We decided with Nick we are first
     gonna try to hide crypt_path_t. It's hard work to hide any parts of that
     structure but I started with crypt_path_t->crypto. I think I will have
     something reviewable in a day or two.
   - Did some digging in the hackerone tickets with the help of Nick. Waiting
     for OTF email to proceed.
   - Did reviews and merges.
   Week of 04/08 (planned):
   - Will focus on the #29209 s31 deliverable this week. I hope to have it done
     by the end of the week, so that I can focus on s27 for the rest of the
     month.

ahf (offline):
    Week of 4/3 (planned)
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Intro meeting for phw with cohosh and gaba.
            - Get #29206 and #29207 design finished. Already six points above
              target for those.
            - Implement #29736 in Broker and (Go) Proxy code.
        Network team:
            - Solve 040-must ticket: #29930
    Week of 4/3 (actually)
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Continued work on #29736.
        Network team:
            - Small reviews.
            - Reproduced #29930 and think we know *why* it is happening.
        Misc:
            - Ready for our Sweden trip: travel approval and booked transport.
            - Configured a relay with some patches from asn to test.
            - 1:1 with Gaba: Now that phw have started I will return to
              network-team full-time 1st of May.
            - Some Harvest issue that got solved by gaba and sue.
    Week of 4/8 (planned)
        Anti-censorship team:
            - Continue with #29736.
        Network team:
            - Solve 040-must #29930 (figure out why the file is still open).
        Misc:
            - Figure out PETS logistics.
            - I will probably be away some of Wednesday.