[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 8 Jan 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Wed Jan 9 00:20:00 UTC 2019

Hi!  You can find our meeting logs here.

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-01-08-22.58.html

Below are the contents of the meeting pad

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Tuesday at 2300 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1800 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

January schedule:
    * No meeting on 31 Dec or 1 Jan
    * Following meeting on 8 Jan 2019, 2300 UTC.
    * Meeting on 14 Jan, 1800 UTC
    * Meeting on 21 Jan, 1800 UTC
    * No meeting 28 Jan; (some of) the team will be at a face-to-face meeting.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
3 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002117.html
10 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002120.html
17 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002127.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming
up? <-- Check who is doing what on s19 and s31 on January.

url to roadmap:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=95993070

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:
  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

Including sbws:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should
archive?

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

* Let's try a different way of looking at proposed tickets:
https://pad.riseup.net/p/network-team-triage-2018

0.3.5 (bugs only):
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~035-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=milestone&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&order=priority

0.4.0: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~040-roadmap-proposed&max=200&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority

== General todo ==

Please don't edit this pad with trolly stuff; if you do, you will
force us to use a private pad again, even though it will make us sad.

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up actual point when you finish a task (as well as
"fix" the estimate when starting the issue).
* Add planned PTO to the calendar
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/ISA5L5nH0Xu88iqSCx9ZjCXYSMKOBTdbUeWarbdGmxx

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

-------------------------------
---- 8 January 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

* Teor is bringing a proposal for proposed ticket (discussion during
hackweek?). https://pad.riseup.net/p/network-team-triage-2018
* We are going to start weekly checkins on anti-censorship work
starting next week. I will send a mail later about it <gaba>

== Discussion ==

* Who needs help with reviews?
  Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:
  https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

* we need a sbws reviewer for January that is not teor. who?

* Sponsor 31 in da house. Modularization proposal. We have the
milestones [0] and need to add tickets and start them in January. It
will be included in the roadmap creation in Brussels.  [0] -> Sheet
milestones of this document
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/a-NKHPmkxDOuAGNaFpOrd3AIXJ4mDgIbL5sIjf4AHVP
- Who is going to be doing them?

* Closing tickets. Let's briefly come to an agreement on this.
(closing tickets and opening new ones if there is something remaining
from the old one).

* S8 tickets need to be move to some other place. Who can do it this week?

* Drafting Hackweek agenda. Let's find a day to meet and create the agenda.

* draft agenda https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-agenda-hackweek-2019.1-keep

* poll to decide on a date
https://www.systemli.org/poll/#/poll/qm6aFNWRZP/participation?encryptionKey=HncqIS9zYHxHpWrofGoUa6ihSfVvDrOBg0btTDix

* Retrospective for S8 work https://pad.riseup.net/p/14rdcvvjS5ue

* Network team needs and Priorities pad for DRL funding opportunity
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/cDDK_EyXoIZoiOzt3YSRo3cCme0C-JAZe5nCdvbytyw

== Recommended links ==

35c3 talk on internet history with an economics perspective
https://media.ccc.de/v/35c3-10019-internet_the_business_side#t=3729

== Updates ==

NOTE NEW FORMAT!

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba:
    Week of 01/01 (actual):

 - read mails and organize work to be done by me

Week of 01/07 (planned):

  - back into 1:1s

  - anti-censorship position follow up

- S8 Q4 report

- modularization proposal

- s19

- hackweek agenda

Needs help with:

- getting all the tickets mark as sponsor8 out of it (close them or
have them somewhere else). Some of them may go into s19.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&sponsor=Sponsor8

- please add points to the tickets you already have done (thanks
dgoulet for doing it here
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/28020 and thanks
people that added them to the spreadsheet)

teor:

Week of 21 Dec, 4-8 Jan (actual):
    High-Priority:
        - Sponsor 8 tasks
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down
            - And also on networks that drop packets

Week of 7 Jan (planned):
    High-Priority:
        - PrivCount proof of concept (#29004 and related tickets)
    Medium-Priority:
        - (no sbws reviews, I need to focus on PrivCount before the hackfest)
        - Maybe some code reviews if I get time
        - Sponsor 8 tasks - are these important enough to do anyway?
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down
            - And also on networks that drop packets

    Help with:
        - Can anyone help with PrivCount before the hackfest? (There's
some work in progress code in #29004 for review)
        - Who can take my code reviews if I run out of time to do them?

Nick:
    Week of 1 Jan (planned):
        - ?
    Week of 1 Jan (actual):
        - Worked on stable releases, backporting, etc
        - Solve an android compilation issue
        - Merged and reviewed a bunch of code
    Week of 7 Jan (planned):
        - Stable releases 0.3.3.11, 0.3.4.10, 0.3.5.7
        - 28142 review and merge wtfpad patch
        - Help on snowflake startup issues
        - revise pubsub branch, time permitting, for S31
        -

dgoulet:
  Week of 01/01 (actual):
    - Worked only Friday after coming back from holidays. Was all about
      bad-relays, emails and administrative tasks.
  Week of 01/07 (planned):
    - prop289: Authenticated SENDMEs. Working on #26840 to start with.
    - Discussion with arma/nickm about #26871 which lead to open #29023 that
      is a ticket to implement a fast PRNG.
    - Updated the spec for #28180, they are in needs_review.

ahf (will be missing at the meeting):
Since last time:
    Sponsor 8:
        - Got the big parts of s8 finished. Still missing a few spec changes.
    Misc:
        - Met with HC and Benjamin from TGP and went over what has happened
          since last we met that is relevant for mobile: dormant mode, memory
          usage, etc.
Week of 1/17 (planned):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Review David's spec changes for the PT STATUS/LOG messages
(#28181, #28182).
        - Fill out q4 report and points for s8 tickets we did in q4.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Working on a document to describe how the broker works and how the
          WebRTC protocol work at a high level to give people some idea about
          the API's used for the JS/Go proxy and the Snowflake client.
        - Debug an issue where the JS proxy will become idle and no data
          progress is made during bootstrap (and thus also after bootstrap).
    Misc:
        - Next step for sysadmin hire with Linus/Hiro.
        - See if there is S8 tickets that makes sense for S19(?)

Mike:
  Since last time:
    - Wrote code to prevent circuitpadding from attempting to
renegotiate after failure.
    - Did final triage of outstanding Sponsor2 padding issues.
    - Reviewed asn's circuitpadding tickets (#28780 and #28634)
    - Reviewed other tickets
  Week of 1/17 (planned):
    - Fix up issues from circuitpadding reviews
    - Help asn with #28780 and #28634

catalyst:
    week of 12/17 (2018-W51) (planned):
        - cleaning up orconn-tracker for review -- mostly it needs
some commits detangled (mostly done, after much wrestling with
interactive git rebase), and more documentation in commit messages and
comments, also changelogs
        - assess testing situation on orconn-tracker; write new tests as needed
        - if there's time, work on reporting intermediate application
circuit building progress during bootstrap (#27104) -- a lot of the
work is already in orconn-tracker
        - adjusting sponsor8 tickets to better reflect reality
        - worked through the weekend so i might take some time off
(but still reachable on Signal; IRC and email higher latency)
    week of 12/17 (2018-W51) (actual):
        - finished #27167
        - opened new tickets to clean up after #27167
    week of 12/24 (2018-W52) (actual):
        - TPI holiday
    week of 12/31 (2019-W01) (actual):
        - TPI holiday 12/31, 01/01
        - reviewed some small tickets
        - made progress on cleaning up control-spec changes for new
bootstrap phases
        - minor debugging on IRC of mysterious tor restarts
        - #28929 (typo fix for new bootstrap message)
    week of 01/07 (2019-W02) (planned):
        - finish up control-spec changes for new bootstrap phases
        - continue cleaning up sponsor8 bookkeeping
        - move relevant things from sponsor8 to sponsor19
        - review more pubsub stuff as it comes up
        - think about more long-term stuff
        - ticket reviews