[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 22 Jan

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Wed Jan 23 13:25:51 UTC 2019


You can find the logs of yesterday's team meeting at

Here are the notes from that meeting:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Tuesday 22 January at 1800 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC, because Monday is a US public holiday.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1800 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

January schedule:
    * Meeting on 21 Jan 22 Jan, 1800 UTC
    * No meeting 28 Jan; (some of) the team will be at a face-to-face meeting.

February schedule:
    * Tuesday 5 February at 2300 UTC: teor is on leave, can we swap
the 2300 UTC Tuesday meeting to Tuesday 12 February?
    * Monday 11 February at 1800 UTC, unless we swap

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can
be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
10 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002120.html
17 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002127.html
8 Jan: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-January/002155.html
14 Jan: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-January/002170.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at:

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

Including sbws:

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are
there important documents we should link to?  Things we should

* Check rotations at
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up actual point when you finish a task (as well as
update the estimate when starting the issue).
* Add planned PTO to the calendar

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

---- 22 January 2019

== Announcements ==

* Drafting Hackweek agenda. We will meet the week before the hackweek.

* draft agenda https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-agenda-hackweek-2019.1-keep
<-- please check it out and send me any comments/questions about it.

* date to discuss it: January 22nd 9pm UTC

== Discussion ==

* teor is on leave on 5 February at our normal meeting time, can we
swap the 2300 UTC Tuesday meeting to Tuesday 12 February?
   (Sounds okay; let's finalize this in Brussels.)

* How can we review all the reviews in our backlog?
  (see query links in "Stuff to do every week")

  Ideas: move reviews around among people more proactively?
         prioritize which reviews are most urgent?
         share reviews of big tickets among 2 people?
  Let's talk more in brussels

* Who can calculate the release capacity and estimated points every week?
  (Gaba will do the calculations, if teor sets up a spreadsheet. We
can turn them into a script later if we want.)
  * 040 bugfixes until the stable release date
  * 041 all tickets until the code freeze date
teor ran out of time to do the spreadsheet this week, let's work on it
at the hackfest.

* Nick needs others to help with Q&A on the release blogposts.  Or we
could stop opening comments.

== Proposed tickets ==

* Teor is bringing a proposal for proposed ticket (let's try it for a
few weeks, then discuss during hackweek)
  Reminder: please add points estimates to proposed tickets!

Please tag proposed tickets with 040-proposed or 041-proposed, and add
a points estimate (in days).

If the ticket needs to be added to the roadmap, put it on the list
below, so we can talk about it at the meeting.

=== 035-proposed ===

#29042    Error loading private key after upgrade          needs_review
#28248    Add comments around rust compilation flags
accepted  <=== accepted if Nick can do it quickly.
#29134    Document the max number of v3 client auths I can make    new

=== 040-proposed ===

Capacity Estimate

TODO: turn capacity estimates into a script or spreadsheet

?? points of proposed tickets
?? points of accepted tickets

?? days left until the 0.4.0 release, approximately ?? * 0.36 = ??
coding days per person
(see below for calculations)

List of tickets that aren't on the roadmap

#29040 -- Tor crashes if ClientOnionAuthDir contains more than one
public key for a hidden service (new) <-- defer deciding until asn &
dgoulet input
#28363 -- Make a torrc option which prevents Tor from falling asleep
  Is this a duplicate of one of our Sponsor 8 dormant mode tickets?

Open 040-proposed tickets:

Open 040-proposed tickets with no points estimate:

=== 041-proposed ===

Capacity Estimate

TODO: turn capacity estimates into a script or spreadsheet

?? points of proposed tickets
?? points of accepted tickets

113 days left until the 0.4.1 feature freeze, approximately 40 coding
days per person, minus ?? days for 040 bugfixes
5/7 work days in week * 220/260 non-leave week days in year * 3/5
coding days in week = 0.36 coding days per calendar day
(coding days exclude reviews, admin, travel, meetings)

List of tickets that aren't on the roadmap

#25417 -- HSFETCH support for v3 Hidden Services (needs_review)
  Points needs asn or dgoulet's input, how much effort will it take us
to merge this code?
  Should we try for 0.4.1?

There's something subtly wrong with a bunch of our HSv3 IPv6 code:
<-- defer deciding until asn & dgoulet input
#26992 -- Add intro point IPv6 address to service descriptors (needs_revision)
#23588 -- Write fascist_firewall_choose_address_ls() and use it in
hs_get_extend_info_from_lspecs() (needs_revision)
#23576 -- Make service_intro_point_new() take a node instead of an
extend_info (needs_revision)
  I have tried to debug the issue for a few hours, but I didn't make
much progress.
  I expect it will take a few days to debug: let's defer these
tickets, and pick them up if we have time later in the release

There 79 tickets below, what do we do?

Open 041-proposed tickets:

Open 041-proposed tickets with no points estimate:

{79 tickets here; tabling them till Brussels.}

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


Week of 01/13 (actual):

- remove s8 from tickets

- anti-censorship plans - weekly meeting kickoff

- S8 report

- s31 follow up

- help with various grant reports

- bridgedb: talked with sysrqb and updated tickets

Week of 01/21 (planned):

- hackweek planning

- anti-censorship meeting

- finish s8 report for pili to send

- check on s31 follow up

teor: (offline)

Week of 14 Jan (planned):
        - PrivCount proof of concept (#29004 and related tickets)
        - unit tests for extra-info documents
        - (no sbws reviews, I need to focus on PrivCount before the hackfest)
        - Sponsor 8 tasks - are these important enough to do anyway?
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks
are down (and also on networks that drop packets)

Week of 14 Jan (actual):
        - PrivCount proof of concept (#29004 and related tickets),
focused on bandwidth stats this week
        - Travel preparation / hackfest preparation
        - a small IPv6 review, some sbws reviews
        - some proposed tickets admin, and other admin

    Help with:


    Week of 14 Jan (planned):
        - Finish pubsub revision
        - Merge final stuff for; freeze on Tuesday!
        - Release, maybe.
        - Triage 0.3.5 and 0.4.0 tickets :(
        - Advance modularization discussions
        - Help on snowflake stuff?
    Week of 14 Jan (actual):
        - Last-minute bugfixes and freeze on
        - Alpha release
        - Start a fresh round of 0.4.0 triage
        - Revise various tickets
        - Work on publish/subscribe refactoring
        - Fast-fixes for several smallish tickets.
    Week of 21 Jan (planned):
        - US Holiday on Monday.
        - Prepare for hackweek
        - Work on a scalability idea I've been tossing around.
        - Talk with some mozilla people.
        - Anticipating ~9 hours of meetings this week. :(
        - Trying to identify must-fix stuff for 040 or earlier.  Please help?
    Need help wih:
        - Triage 0.3.5 and 0.4.0 tickets :(
        - Advance modularization discussions

dgoulet: (offline, in bed ill)

  Week of 01/14 (planned):
    - prop289: Fix remaining bugs (I know what they are). Jump on unit tests
      and then massive chutney testing.
    - Re-review spec for #28180 with ahf after dcf1 comments.


 Week of 1/14 (planned)
    - Finishing touches on #28142
    - convert wtf-pad TODO file to tickets and make a plan for 0.4.1
    - Help more with modularization plan?
 Week of 1/14 (actual)
    - Finishing touches on #28142
    - Weighted and prioritized wtf-pad tickets for 0.4.1; Over 53
points so far :/
    - Looked at vanguards work; maybe 5-10 points here
  Week of 1/21 (planned)
    - Do some vanguards work
    - Figure out how much help with wtf-pad is available, and decide
on in/out for 0.4.1 tikets
    - Write some wtf-pad documentation?


    week of 01/14 (2019-W03) (planned):
        - prep for Brussels meeting
        - more follow up fixes related to #27167
        - follow up on modularization thread
        - ticket reviews
    week of 01/14 (2019-W03) (actual):
        - reviews
        - found and helped investigate (surprise!) test nondeterminism
along with Riastradh, ahf, nickm
        - made some comments on the pad about modularity stuff
    week of 01/21 (2019-W04) (planned):
        - reviews
        - prep for Brussels meeting

juga (offline):

Week 14/01 (planned)
    - Continue on working out how sbws can report excluded relays in
the bandwidth file (#28563)
    - Continue with refactoring (#28684)
    - Write last 3 months report
Week 14/01 (actual)
    - Continue with refactoring (#28684)
    - Adapt bandwidth file classes to be compatible with stem #29057
    - Write last 3 months report
    - Revise Authorities should put a hash of the bandwidth file in
their votes (#26698)
Week 21 Jan (plan)
    - Review minor bandwidth file spec updates (#29079)
    - Revise Authorities should put a hash of the bandwidth file in
their votes (#26698)
    - Update documentation for the relay prioritization and revise (#28868)
    - Look at stem bandwidth file parser (#29056)
    - Continue with refactoring (#28684)

   [Will be at an apointment during the net team meeting, but I will be present
    on the one about the hackfest afterwards.]
   Week of 01/14 (planned):
    - Monday: Tor lecture in local university.
    - Get #28142 merged.
    - Work on the onion service proposal.
    - Check out the brussels hackfest thread.
    - Do reviews.
   Week of 01/14 (actual):
    - Did a lecture about Tor in a local university (unipi.gr) as part of the
      security class. There were about 30 people present and I feel like they
      really enjoyed it. They had lots of questions and the thing was
      interactive until the end. Was fun!
    - #28142 is merged no joke!!!
    - Worked on the onion service funding proposal.
    - Organizing a Tor meetup in a new hacklab in Athens this Friday. Gonna be
      a good one.
    - Did reviews.
   Week of 01/21 (actual):
    - Prepare for the hackfest.
    - Start triaging 040 bugfixes.
    - Do reviews.
    - Do the Tor meetup on Friday.
   Help with:
    - We good.


Week of 1/14 (planned):
    Sponsor 19:
        - Finish WebRTC + broker + client + proxy architecture document.
        - Reach conclusion with David and David about #28181 and #28182.
        - Help David with code review for authenticated sendme's.
        - Sysadmin interview progress.
        - Try to reproduce #29036 again
Week of 1/14 (actually):
    Sponsor 19 (and a bit of 8):
        - Conclusion reached for #28181 and #28182 and patches to tor via
        - We had our first anti-censorship check-in meeting.
        - Didn't manage to reproduce #29036.
        - I think we have found what our second round tasks for
sysadmins interviews are.
        - Managed to get some stomach bug thursday evening, was pretty
useless friday and some of monday.
        - Reviews.
        - Added points to missing tickets.
        - Try to help with some of the random test failures before the
0.4.0 alpha.
Week of 1/22 (planned):
    Sponsor 19:
        - Follow up on some action items from the anti-censorship meeting.
        - Figure out what Snowflake things we want to do in Brussels?
        - Finish proxy part of Snowflake architecture document.
        - Solve the Windows CI issue that I didn't finish last week.

More information about the tor-project mailing list