[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 14 Jan 2019

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Jan 15 10:11:31 UTC 2019


Our next meeting is on Tuesday 22 January at 1800 UTC.

You can find our meeting logs here:


Below are the contents of the meeting pad:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday at 1800 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Tuesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1800 UTC
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

January schedule:
    * No meeting on 31 Dec or 1 Jan
    * Following meeting on 8 Jan 2019, 2300 UTC.
    * Meeting on 14 Jan, 1800 UTC
    * Meeting on 21 Jan 22 Jan?, 1800 UTC
    * No meeting 28 Jan; (some of) the team will be at a face-to-face meeting.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)
(See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.  After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
3 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002117.html
10 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002120.html
17 Dec: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-December/002127.html
8 Jan: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-January/002155.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up? <-- Check who is doing what on s19 and s31 on January.

url to roadmap: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210yy

* Check reviewer assignments at

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first:

Including sbws:

* Also, let's check for things we need update on our spreadsheet!  Are there important documents we should link to?  Things we should archive?

* Check rotations at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations
  Core Tor/sbws is now part of the bug triage, CI, and reviewer assignment roles

* Let's try a different way of looking at proposed tickets:
[See section about this below.]

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work for the next releases

* Remember to fill up actual point when you finish a task (as well as "fix" the estimate when starting the issue).
* Add planned PTO to the calendar https://storm.torproject.org/shared/ISA5L5nH0Xu88iqSCx9ZjCXYSMKOBTdbUeWarbdGmxx

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

---- 14 January 2019

== Announcements ==

* Teor is bringing a proposal for proposed ticket (discussion during hackweek?). https://pad.riseup.net/p/network-team-triage-2018

* We are starting weekly checkins on anti-censorship work. Every Thursday 20:00 UTC on #tor-meeting. Starting January 17th.

* A lot of thoughts in the pad about network team priorities for funding. Add any comment to it. Al and the grants team will look at it and ping people if we start writing a related proposal for DRL https://storm.torproject.org/shared/cDDK_EyXoIZoiOzt3YSRo3cCme0C-JAZe5nCdvbytyw

== Discussion ==

* Who needs help with reviews?
  (see query links in "Stuff to do every week")

* Drafting Hackweek agenda. We will meet the week before the hackweek.
	• * draft agenda https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-netteam-agenda-hackweek-2019.1-keep <-- please check it out and send me any comments/questions about it.
	• * date to discuss it: January 22nd 9pm UTC

* Let's assign people in the team to the snowflake blockers tickets in the roadmap #25601, #29024, #21314

* Next Monday is MLK day in the US.  Shall we do 1800UTC on Tuesaday the 22nd instead?

== Proposed tickets ==

Please tag proposed tickets with 040-proposed or 041-proposed, and add a points estimate (in days).

If the ticket needs to be added to the roadmap, put it on the list below, so we can talk about it at the meeting.

Who can do the release capacity and estimated points updates every week?

=== 040-proposed ===

#29026 -- OpenSSL will not compile without engine support (needs_review) <-- approve for 040
#29029 -- Make "tried to establish rendezvous on non-OR circuit" into a protocol warning [needs review] <-- approve for 040
#29040 -- Tor crashes if ClientOnionAuthDir contains more than one public key for a hidden service (new) <-- defer deciding until asn & dgoulet input

Here are the tickets currently labeled as 040-proposed:

Should we do capacity for 0.4.0? It's almost over.

=== 041-proposed ===

Capacity Estimate

32.4 points of proposed tickets, which is about one person's capacity for 0.4.1

120 days left until the 0.4.1 feature freeze, approximately 40 coding days per person
120 days * 5/7 work days in week * 200/240 non-leave days in year * 3/5 coding days in week (excluding review, admin, travel, meeting)

The prop289 tickets have no points estimates, let's update the total when we add estimates (or defer them until next week)

List of tickets

New tickets for 21 Jan:

#25417 -- HSFETCH support for v3 Hidden Services (needs_review)
  Points needs asn or dgoulet's input, how much effort will it take us to merge this code?
  Should we try for 0.4.1?

Old tickets from 14 Jan:

#29036 -- Coverage merge failures cause test_process_slow stderr check to fail (new, Sponsor ??)
  How often does this failure happen? <-- accepted for 041
#27162 -- Travis: consider running CI on beta, nightly, and tor's lowest supported rust (new, Sponsor V) <-- accepted for 041
#29053 -- Use descriptor structs to deterministically create descriptor dumps (new, probably out of scope for Sponor V) <-- leaning no for 0.4.1, but we can talk about it if you disagree -nm
  Let's defer this ticket, unless we think it's important?

There's something subtly wrong with a bunch of our HSv3 IPv6 code:  <-- defer deciding until asn & dgoulet input
#26992 -- Add intro point IPv6 address to service descriptors (needs_revision)
#23588 -- Write fascist_firewall_choose_address_ls() and use it in hs_get_extend_info_from_lspecs() (needs_revision)
#23576 -- Make service_intro_point_new() take a node instead of an extend_info (needs_revision)
  I have tried to debug the issue for a few hours, but I didn't make much progress.
  I expect it will take a few days to debug: let's defer these tickets, and pick them up if we have time later in the release

Open 041-proposed tickets:

Open 041-proposed tickets with no points estimate:

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==


    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:
	•      - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

    Week of 01/07 (actual):
	•   - back into 1:1s
	•   - anti-censorship hiring
	• - S8 Q4 report
	• - remove s8 from tickets
	• - s31
	• - s19
	• - hackweek agenda
	• Week of 01/13 (planned):
	• - remove s8 from tickets
	• - anti-censorship plans - weekly meeting kickoff
	• - S8 report
	• - s31 follow up
	• Needs help with:
	• - please add points to the tickets you already have done (thanks people that added them to each ticket)

teor: (offline)

Week of 7 Jan (planned):
        - PrivCount proof of concept (#29004 and related tickets)
        - (no sbws reviews, I need to focus on PrivCount before the hackfest)
        - Maybe some code reviews if I get time
        - Sponsor 8 tasks - are these important enough to do anyway?
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down
            - And also on networks that drop packets

Week of 7 Jan (actual):
        - PrivCount proof of concept (#29004 and related tickets)
        - Refactor for unit tests for extra-info documents
        - I was on CI/Coverity rotation, I made a ticket for one intermittent Travis failure
        - worked on proposed tickets process, tried it out for the first time
        - dealt with small sbws blocker
        - Did a few code reviews, I still have a lot left over.

Week of 14 Jan (planned):
        - PrivCount proof of concept (#29004 and related tickets)
        - unit tests for extra-info documents
        - (no sbws reviews, I need to focus on PrivCount before the hackfest)
        - Sponsor 8 tasks - are these important enough to do anyway?
            - Ask metrics to monitor bootstrap speed
            - Tweak bootstrap settings to work when lots of fallbacks are down (and also on networks that drop packets)

    Help with:
        - Can someone check my calculations for our 0.4.0 and 0.4.1 workload?
        - I've run out of time to do all my code reviews. Can someone else please do them?

    Week of 7 Jan (planned):
        - Stable releases,,
        - 28142 review and merge wtfpad patch
        - Help on snowflake startup issues
        - revise pubsub branch, time permitting, for S31
    Week of 7 Jan (actual):
        - Started revising pubsub branch
        - stable releases
        - Lots of review and merge -- still working on pubsub
        - Added points to my closed tickets
    Week of 14 Jan (planned):
        - Finish pubsub revision
        - Merge final stuff for; freeze on Tuesday!
        - Release, maybe.
        - Triage 0.3.5 and 0.4.0 tickets :(
        - Advance modularization discussions
        - Help on snowflake stuff?
    Need help wih:
        - Triage 0.3.5 and 0.4.0 tickets :(
        - Advance modularization discussions

dgoulet: (offline, in bed ill)
  Week of 01/07 (actual):
    - prop289: Authenticated SENDMEs. Implementation is done 99% in #26288
      (branch: ticket26288_041_01). Still some bugs I'm chasing.
  Week of 01/14 (planned):
    - prop289: Fix remaining bugs (I know what they are). Jump on unit tests
      and then massive chutney testing.
    - Re-review spec for #28180 with ahf after dcf1 comments.

  Week of 1/17 (planned):
    - Fix up issues from circuitpadding reviews
    - Help asn with #28780 and #28634
  Week of 1/17 (actual):
    - Worked on #28780 and #28334; pretty sure neither will make 0.4.0 freeze
    - Looked over #28142 review and fixups. Looks good
    - Helped with modularization planning
    - Did 0.4.0 reviews
 Week of 1/14 (planned)
    - Finishing touches on #28142
    - convert wtf-pad TODO file to tickets and make a plan for 0.4.1
    - Help more with modularization plan?

    week of 01/07 (2019-W02) (planned):
        - finish up control-spec changes for new bootstrap phases
        - continue cleaning up sponsor8 bookkeeping
        - move relevant things from sponsor8 to sponsor19
        - review more pubsub stuff as it comes up
        - think about more long-term stuff
        - ticket reviews
    week of 01/07 (2019-W02) (actual):
        - cleaned up some sponsor8 ticket bookkeeping
        - submitted another revision of bootstrap phase descriptions for control-spec.txt
        - chatted with teor about modularization and gaba about release planning and modularization
        - looked at sponsor19 roadmap stuff
    week of 01/14 (2019-W03) (planned):
        - prep for Brussels meeting
        - more follow up fixes related to #27167
        - follow up on modularization thread
        - ticket reviews
    help with:
        - architectural issues related to #28925 (will chat at patch party time)

juga (offline):

- Week 07/01 (planned)
    Depending on reviews:
    - Continue with #28933 #28869 or leave it for next milestone
    - Decide whether it is needed that AsyncResults have timeout (#28864)
    - Decide whether it is needed to timeout putting results in the queue (#28866)
    - Maybe continue to work out how sbws can report excluded relays (#28563)
- Week 07/01 (actual)
    - Finished with running one sbws main loop as part of the integration tests (#28869)
    - Exit gracefully (stop threads) on SIGINT or SIGTERM (#28933)
    - Commented on whether it is needed that AsyncResults have timeout (#28864)
    - Finished adding timeout when putting results in the queue (#28866)
    - Started with some refactoring (#29046, #29047)
    - Discussed to move bandwidth file parser to stem (#29057)
- Week 14/01 (plan)
    - Continue on working out how sbws can report excluded relays in the bandwidth file (#28563)
    - Continue with refactoring (#28684)
    - Write last 3 months report

   [Will be doing a Tor lecture in a local uni at the same time as the meeting]
   Week of 01/7 (planned):
    - Get #28142 closer to merged (address review comments etc.)
    - See if we can get #28780 and #28634 closer to merge_ready by EOW.
    - More anti-censorship hiring.
    - Do some initial PhD stuff.
    - Coordinate with 2-3 people who contacted me because they want Tor talks
      to happen around Athens. First one is upcoming Monday in my home university.
   Week of 01/7 (actual):
    - More #28142 work. It's now in merge_ready again after lots of rebasing,
      and merging in a few more patches from Riastradh.
      - More work on #28780 and #28634 but we are delaying this for 041.
      - Opened more tickets for remaining work and TODO items.
    - Anti-censorship hiring wrapped up.
    - Assigned reviews but failed to sync up with dgoulet so we are still in pad form.
      I will fixup trac and spreadsheet tomorrow:  https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/VxgEYUZzpv
    - Did reviews
   Week of 01/14 (planned):
    - Monday: Tor lecture in local university.
    - Get #28142 merged.
    - Work on the onion service proposal.
    - Check out the brussels hackfest thread.
    - Do reviews.
   Help with:
    - We good.

Week of 1/7 (planned):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Review David's spec changes for the PT STATUS/LOG messages (#28181, #28182).
        - Fill out q4 report and points for s8 tickets we did in q4.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Working on a document to describe how the broker works and how the
          WebRTC protocol work at a high level to give people some idea about
          the API's used for the JS/Go proxy and the Snowflake client.
        - Debug an issue where the JS proxy will become idle and no data
          progress is made during bootstrap.
        - Next step for sysadmin hire with Linus/Hiro.
        - See if there is S8 tickets that makes sense for S19(?)
Week of 1/7 (actually):
    Sponsor 8:
        - Marked tickets with my share of the points.
    Sponsor 19:
        - Patch submitted for DCF's comments for #28181.
        - Looks like we made a decisions with hires :-)
        - Progress on WebRTC part of broker document. Wrote some sample
          programs to wrap my head around the API. I think this will be a talk
          at our Brussels meeting.
        - Talked with Roger, David F, some JS friends, about using headless
          browsers for both proxy and client for Snowflake (like what Meek does).
        - Did code review over the phone with David Goulet for authenticated
          sendme's (loved this format!)
        - Reviewed some allocated patches.
        - Sysadmin meeting postponed to 1/14.
Week of 1/14 (planned):
    Sponsor 19:
        - Finish WebRTC + broker + client + proxy architecture document.
        - Reach conclusion with David and David about #28181 and #28182.
        - Help David with code review for authenticated sendme's.
        - Sysadmin interview progress.
        - Try to reproduce #29036 again

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: Message signed with OpenPGP
URL: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/attachments/20190115/2dc238d6/attachment.sig>

More information about the tor-project mailing list