[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 16 April 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Apr 16 18:47:47 UTC 2018

Hi!

Our meeting logs for the week are at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-04-16-16.59.html
.

Our notes from the meeting follow below:

===================================

= Network team meeting pad, 16 April 2018 =

   - "That's my name, don't wear it out!"

   - -- Pee-Wee Herman

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put them
in *boldface*!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
5 March:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-March/001685.html
<https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-March/001685.htmlyy>
yy
<https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-March/001685.htmlyy>
26 March:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-March/001695.html
3 April:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001705.html
9 April:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001723.html

== Stuff to do every week =* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's
done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=856122210

* Check reviewer assignments at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=95993070

* Check rotations at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

== Announcements ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.

* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.

* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing 0.3.4.x
work.

* Important dates:
    * Apr 15, 2018 -- 0.3.3.x stable was supposed to be ready!
    * May 15, 2018 -- 0.3.4.x feature freeze!

* Remember: don't spend more than a day working on anything that isn't on
the 033 or 034 milestones.

== Discussion ==

[asn: Seems like we are having a hard time deciding on the intricate
tradeoffs of prop#291. Doing it over [tor-dev] makes it even harder due to
the bandwidth and the latency. Two suggestions:
a) Let's have a meeting next week about it. How about Wednesday 17:00 UTC?]
b) Let's leave it for the Seattle hackfest.]

(Decision: We're going with Wednesday, 1700 UTC.)

[mike: Jenkins hook changes+role documentation]

== Updates ==

Nick:
    * Last week:
        * Fixed 25691 and possibly 25692 (assertion failure bugs in 033)
        * Worked on compilation failures affecting Jenkins, especially on
32-bit
        * Various patches to libevent subsystems merged; new backend for
token buckets merged. (Thanks for the reviews and discussion, David!)
        * Inbox zero!
        * Merged various fixes in 033 and 034.
        * 0.3.3.5-rc released.
        * Planned #25500 with dgoulet
    * This week:
        * CI rotation!
        * Hoping to finish #25373 coding (no more every-100-ms timers for
token buckets)
        * Keeping an eye out for any bugs reported in 0.3.3.5-rc.

Mike:
    * Last week:
        * Did a bunch of paperwork; had to help some friends move a bunch
of stuff. Took longer than I expected
        * Discussed prop#291 on list
        * Reviewed + edited #25248
        * Did jenkins triage, somewhat poorly. Have some thoughts:
          * *Can we add a commit hook to mail the committer(s) since last
build (and maybe a weekly/group triage alias?) when a build failes?*
          * Several of our builds are failing because of missing/broken
platform stuff, I think. I guess I should be filing Service:Jenkins for
these?
          * We should probably tag all jenkins tickets with jenkins, so for
long-time failing builds we don't dup/waste effort..
          * We should document all of this like reviewing stuff.
    * This week:
        * Down to meet re prop #291+vanguards (prop#291 decisions impact
how we do children of #25546)
        * Work on vanguard script

catalyst:
    * Last week (2018-W15):
        - bug triage rotation
        - #25756 clock skew complaints because dizum (dirauth) is 65
seconds in the future; *do we want to relax the "consensus is coming from
the future" tolerance to account for the earliest that a clock-skewed
dirauth could be skewed yet still be distributing a valid consensus? e.g.,
by taking the voting schedule into account so "enough" dirauths would have
to have clocks actually in the future for a client to produce a
consensus-informed clock skew warning?** [outcome: roger suggests "yes, 5
minutes is good." Nick seconds.]**[catalyst will make a ticket]*
        - worked on #25061, mostly tracing and annotating call trees
        - tried out the new calltool to help with #25061; it doesn't play
nicely with separate build dirs yet
        - adventures in taxes and medical billing
    * This week (2018-W16):
        - dealing with winter storm aftermath (nothing too serious, only
annoying)
        - #25061
        - 033 work and reviews as needed
        - follow up on #25511 (minor revisions to test probably needed)

isis:
    last week:
        - refactored the randomness functions from crypto.c into a new
crypto_rand.c module #24658
        - wrapped our (P)RNG in Rust #24660
        - began writing the encoding/decoding code for wide create cells
#25647
        - began writing FFI code for ed25519-dalek and x25519-dalek #23886
    this week:
        - finishing encoding/decoding wide create cells #25647
        - ??? more wide create cell stuff? maybe #25648 and/or #25649
and/or #25653
        - whatever else needs to do for #25517 (i think this is my only 033
task remaining)

dgoulet:
  * Last week:
    - Tickets work (including 033), see timeline for more info.
    - Worked with nickm on the token bucket new API.
    - Worked on the reducing client CPU usage with #25762.
    - We merged #25226 this morning so great success!
    - Some Bad Relays attention as well including the tor-team@ email about
      some relay guidelines.
  * This week:
    - I'm done with 033 tickets so I'll go mostly in Roadmap items land.
      Mostly #25762 (client CPU) and #25610 (modularization).
    - I would like to work on #25761 HS regression before 033 stable!
    - I'm the Bug Triager this week!

ahf
    I'm gonna be missing during the meeting, but will read backlog once I'm
    home again. See #tor-internal.
    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
        - Experimenting with GNU cflow on caller/callee relationship in
          dirserv/dirauth code.
        Misc:
        - Began review of #20522 and #23846
        - Code landed for #24782 and #24854
        - Did an interview about Tor with the big Danish IT news site
          version2.dk. Coordinated it all with Steph.
        - Talked a bit with Antonela about having TeX "templates" of the
          different designs the UX team comes up with.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
        - Move to 0.3.4 features.
        Misc:
        - Finish #25245
        - Review #25140
        - Figure out what to do with travel for Mozilla all hands.

haxxpop:
    Last week:
        - The descriptor is already encrypted using clients' pubkey
        - I started working on the client side of the onion service client
authorization
        - Succesfully load HidServAuth config line to the daemon at the
client side
    This week:
        - Try to decrypt the descriptor at the client side

Isabela:
    - Need help from folks who were working on sponsor8 stuff on collecting
tickets links for report:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/DVFRP--hqWM3l9a6fQIa71NWWhyyKce2vD1vCwdQZUf
*<- ahf, catalyst, nickm*
    - Helping with movig things forward related to the censorship team
project
    - Working with tommy on .onion grant proposal (deadline May 1st)
    - FYI .onion ux ticket #23247 is being implemented by TB team :)
    - *ahf - reminder about new .onion address for the test of this month
(april)*

pastly:
    /me is all about that sbws
    last week:
        - Compared sbws v3bw files to those from the real bwauths.
Discovered
        that my helper relay's bandwidth is a limiting factor in
measurements
        - Write integration tests
        - Make one minor modification needed for IPv6 compatibility
        - Merge code style guide
        - Merge tests for code style and static ananlysis
        - Change logging library from home-grown PastlyLogger to standard
python
        logging library (which is way better)
    this week:
        - Exercise sbws after logging changes to weed out bugs
        - Write/merge additional docs
        - Setup diratuh in test net, ask for other dirauths to trust it
        - Other misc. stuff in 1.0 milestone
    future:
        - ~2 weeks get sbws paper work back saying it can be open source

asn:
 Last week:
  - Spent lots of time thinking and discussing the 2-guard proposal
(#25754):
    - Investigated engineering part of switching to two guards:
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-April/013057.html
    - Raised some concerns about the threat model of prop#291:
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2018-April/013058.html
    - Found a guard bug that might hit us if we reduce the number of our
      primary guards (like prop#291 suggests): #25783
  - Reviewed #25705, #25024, #23247.
  - Prepared patch for #24544 and got it merged.
  - Did snowflake meeting on Thursday.
 This week:
  - Continue work on 034 deliverables (2-guards, vanguards, etc.).
  - More reviews.