[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 9 April 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Apr 9 21:30:19 UTC 2018

Hi!  You can find our weekly meeting log over here:

The contents of the pad are below:

= Network team meeting pad, 9 April 2018 =

"And before that I was Nautilus II. Oh, and I was called Jamie for a while...

and I often like to go by Sir Duckworth. Changing names is fun!"

-- Ben Clayton, _Narwhal Peanut Butter and Jelly_

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1700 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

== Previous notes ==
5 March: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-March/001685.html
26 March: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-March/001695.html
3 April: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-April/001705.html

== Stuff to do every week ==

* Let's check and update the roadmap.  What's done, and what's coming up?

url to roadmap:

* Check reviewer assignments at

* Check rotations at

== Announcements ==

* 0.3.4 triage has happened; most things with the 034-removed tag are
now gone from 0.3.4; mostly into Unspecified.

* Did I remove anything you loved? Search for "034-removed" to find out!

* In particular, please have a quick look at the "034-removed" tickets
in status needs_revision.

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.

* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.

* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
0.3.4.x work.

* Important dates:
    * Apr 15, 2018 -- 0.3.3.x stable is supposed to be ready!
    * May 15, 2018 -- 0.3.4.x feature freeze!

* Remember: don't spend more than a day working on anything that isn't
on the 033 or 034 milestones.

* When doing the Bug Triage, we must not let ticket without a
Milestone. Currently 26 without one...:
[asn: eek. I take blame for those last ones there! I was a bit
confused on whether I should put them on 034 or Unspecified and then
inertia took over..]
[nickm: This has gotten harder, though, since we stopped using "034"
as a catch-all for whatever is maybe-should. Should we talk about
where these tickets _should_ go?]
[dgoulet: I'll update the TicketTriage page about the 034-proposed
keyword in case of doubt for Unspecified] DONE

== Discussion topics ==

* How did all the rotations go last week?
- isabela: i want to proposal a rotation retrospective via email so we
can document better our feedback so far and adjust the process as

* We need to finish all the 033 tickets. How are we going to do this?

* Can we amend our meeting process to say "write updates on a the pad
'before' the meeting?"

== Updates ==

    Last week:
        * PETS reviews
        * SoP apps review
        * Reviewed and merged a lot
        * Mainloop refactoring tickets for sponsor8.
        * 0.3.4 triage
        * 1:1:1 meetings
        * ED hiring work
    This week:
        * Final 0.3.3 ticket cleanup
        * 0.3.3.x-rc?
        * Second-round ED interviewing?
        * 034-CPU work on bucket refill events (dgoulet, let's check
in with your current thoughts about events?)

        [dgoulet]: Yes! Worked quite a bit on #25375, we can assess what's up.

        * Several smaller 034 tickets, time permitting
        * Scowl at jenkins, time permitting

 [It's national holidays over here due to orthodox easter. I will probs be
 somewhere with my family having dinner during the meeting. Sorry about that!]
 Last week:
  - Spent more time discussing the 033 guard/dos bug: #25347. In the end I
    decided that we should NACK the original patch here, because of the
    potential security implications. My plan is to defer this ticket to 034 for
    now, except if someone else has a short-term plan for 033.
  - Reviewed #25581, #25516, #25296.
  - Reviewed #25705. Ticket needs some more attention now. Mike should
we aim for 034 with this one? [Yes, 034 seems fine - Mike]
  - Assigned reviews with David.
  - Met with Arlo/dcf/Roger/Tommy to discuss the future of Snowflake.
  - Did bug triage duty
 This week:
  - Hopefully get time to work on the variou 034 deliverables
(2-guards, vanguards, etc.)
  - Another Snowflake meeting on Thursday.
  - Review #25705.
  - Figure out what to do for #25347 in 034 timeframe.
  - Review SoP applications.

  - Last week:
    * Ticket triage, review and patchs (in 033 and 034). See timeline.
    * Worked on modularization: #25610. See ticket for the dev branch.
    * Addressed arma's review of #25226.
    * Initial work on #25375 (remove items from our per-sec. callback)
    * Was on Coverity duty. One warning but we can ignore it. Unfortunately,
      scan.coverity.com seems down right now so I can't log in.
  - This week;
    * Both my 033 tickets are in needs_review so we'll monitor them closely to
      get any fixes in quickly.
    * Continue work on roadmap items, most likely #25375 and #25610.
    * Need to start an HS discussion with a SoP candidate.
    * I'm the community hero this week.

  - Last week:
      * Tried to finish the service-side client authorization (but not
finished yet)
      * I have defined some additional structs that is needed to finish the
        service-side but haven't implemented code to encrypt the
descriptor using
        clients' pubkey
  - This week:
      * Finish the service-side by implementing code to encrypt the descriptor
      * Start the client-side when I finish the previous one

  - Last week:
      * Finalized Proposal 291. Roger: Please see Section 3.1; isis
please see 2.4.
      * Worked on #25400, #25705.
      * Read some queue management RFCs and QUIC research papers.
  - This week:
      * Disucss #23978 with asn
      * Start thinking about #24487/maybe write a short proposal
      * I would like to make a decision on Prop 291, #24487, and
related path issues soon.

    last week:
        - Write tests that cover 3.99 out of ~12 parts of sbws
        - Add command to compress old sbws data and delete really old sbws data
        - Add a backtrace when there's an exception in a worker thread to aide
        - Merge bugfix from juga; merge features from juga
        - Use better source of randomness (thanks teor)
        - Claim that sbws uses Semantic Versioning, and document what the
          "public API" is for sbws
    this week:
        - MOAR TESTS
            - Definitely more unit tests to turn 3.99 into 12.00
            - Hopefully merge and make even better some tests to enforce code
              style and static analysis outside of my personal editor.
            - Contributing.rst/style guide
            - Docstrings as I get to them in tests
        - Run an sbws client and/or an sbws server on a new machine if I can
          get python3 installed in my $HOME
    3-4 weeks from now:
        - Get paperwork back saying sbws can be open sourced

    - can't attend today, but back online at 19UTC
    - Last week:
        * report and fix
(https://github.com/pastly/simple-bw-scanner/) #62, fix #56, #39, #52,
        * talk more with pastly and teor about how to compare results in testnet
        * worked on 2nd part #25515 (not commited yet)
        * try to organize weekly meeting with pastly
(https://ethercalc.org/xs6s6k1wfb13 )
          teor, pastly,should we try Thursdays at 22UTC?, anyone else
can join or say which are prefered times
          [pastly: Thursdays at 22:00 UTC works for me. teor will most
likely be sleeping during this network team meeting.
          So we should email him or network-team@ about the existence
of this meeting]
    - Next week:
        * write v3bw format
with version in
        * comment/fix #64
        * more doc and bug fixes in sbws

    Last week:
        * syncs with team members that requested it
        * followed the censorship team meeting on snowflake work
        * finishing the clean doc for .onion state requested by Geko
    This week:
        * proritizing reports to sponsors
        * tb ux work
        * sitemap for torproject.org new site
        * draft .onion work for proposal tommy will be working on (deadlii

    Last week (2018-W14):
        * community guide rotation:
            - #23846 (libtool build)
            - #25549 (appveyor)
            - following up on cell crypto session from Rome
            - #25511 (getinfo for utc/local time)
        * review rotation:
            - #25511
            - #25679 (TOR_RUST_DEPENDENCIES)
            - #25341 (re-review after Rust 1.25 release)
        * made some progress on #25061
        * recruiting people for Community Council
        * laptop stand seems to be helping with ergonomics, yay!
    This week (2018-W15):
        * bug triage rotation
        * review rotation

        - #24659 review is delayed because it will require me to take
some time to learn new things about Rust, which i'm happy to do, but
will need a large stretch of uninterrupted time that i should spend on
#25061 (which is 033, while #24659 is 034). i'm happy to hand it off
to someone with better Rust knowledge if it needs to get reviewed

     * work on "approach two" of #25061 ("approach one" should
probably be a technical-debt reduction ticket for 034?)

* more cell crypto follow up if needed

* Community Council election discussions if needed

    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
        - Snapshot taken of HS speed test data.
        - Worked with David to keep up with his DirAuth modularization work.
        - Wrap my head around our directory server code and how it is
being used.
        - Reviewed #24854
        - Revised patches for #24782 and #24854
        - Worked on reviewing #24454:
            - Got a Tor ARM64 development environment up and running at home.
            - Able to test the proposed patches, we decided to
postpone this to 0.3.4.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
        - Continue work on dir auth modularization with focus on making the
          dirserver code handle requests in different modules (dirauth
        - Review #20522

    last week:
        - made arrangements for seattle
        - did the next bit of refactoring to split crypto_rand* stuff
out of crypto.[ch] #24658
        - added note about bool type compatibility to the docs/guidelines #25727
        - finished up the patches for #25517
        - also the spec patch for #25517
        - added some input on some rust related tickets #25714 #23846
        - reviewed #25515
        - started reviewing #25409 (sorry! not done yet, i totally spaced)
        - did a brief experiment with iwyu to clean up our header
files and reduce modular dependencies on or.h
https://include-what-you-use.org/ is this an avenue safe and worth
    this week:
        - fixing up #24986
        - wrapping the rand stuff, finally #24660

More information about the tor-project mailing list