[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 5 March 2018

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Tue Mar 6 14:36:33 UTC 2018

Hi!

Network team meeting logs here:

http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2018/tor-meeting.2018-03-05-17.59.html

Pad below:

Network team meeting pad, 5 March 2018

Welcome to our meeting! Mondays at 1800 UTC on #tor-meeting on OFTC.
(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Meeting notes from previous weeks:
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-January/date.html
, search "network team"
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-February/001654.html
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-February/001664.html
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-February/001671.html
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2018-February/001674.html

Old Announcements:
    * 0.3.3.x is in feature-freeze.  No new features (except for
#24902, which has permission.).
    * Please, work on bugfixes! It would be great to have this release
release on time. (Planned date is 15 April)
    * Please fill in the code subsystems spreadsheet at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit#gid=1974867547
    * Please fill in Isabela's heat-mapping exercise with areas of tor
work: what are our priorities? https://pad.riseup.net/p/38VbTZUIzG4X
    * Team rotation roles are open for March.
      teor also added "Frontline Support", which they can do most of the time.
      https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/TeamRotations

Announcements:
    * Review-group-34 is now open, incorporating what is left of
groups 32 and 33.
      https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&keywords=~review-group-34&group=status
    * There are 39 tickets in review-group-34-- mostly because a lot
of tickets from Tor:unspecified are pulled in.  Let's try to resolve
those rather than just throwing them all back.
    * There are 23 tickets in 033-must:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&keywords=~033-must&group=status
.  Please grab some that you can fix,
    * Rome coming up!  If you're there for the team days, our first
(net team only) meeting is ______________ at ________.
    * If you are around and want to help with it (this is optional!)
you can join people from the team from around 3pm to 5pm on March 9th
to finsih up organizing tasks for 6 months roadmap (the work on To Do
that I [isabela] wrote)

THINGS TO DO:
    * Review tickets in review-group-34.
    * Fix things in 033-must.
    * Fill out the various areas/roles/subsystems spreadsheets, if you
have not done so already.
    * Get some rest; take care of yourselves on the way to Rome!
    * If you doing work related to a sponsor open this pad:
https://storm.torproject.org/shared/-p-gQvABCmlABNLLWFCe77RoN9e9AAeOux532luaXxB

    * I (isabela) need your help on defining and list the work we will
actually do for the next 6 months on each sponsor deliverable

    * Please check the sponsor8 Activity O2.3 in that pad - the list
created by nick and ahf is more or less the type of list I am looking
to have for the other sponsors.

    * For all NSF grants I added the stuff Roger wrote about what we
will do next on the last report we sent the sponsor. That is there for
reference. I need the people who are working in those areas to look at
it and organize what work should be done for the next months, a bullet
point list should be enough.

    * After the list of work is done for each sponsor, I will ask you
to add the tickets related to that work

    * End goal here is to have this done so at the 6 months roadmap
planning meeting we are just assigning work and organizing it in the
timeline

    *

* US DST changes over while we're in Rome. we might want to figure out
whose DST we're going to track for meeting times [catalyst]

* are we doing any more planning for the pre-meeting hackfest on 3/10?
[catalyst]

==== Updates:

Nick:
    * Last week:
        - Jury duty consumed most of my time Tue->Fri.
        - Released 0.2.9.15, 0.3.1.10, 0.3.2.10, 0.3.3.3-alpha.
        - Tried to catch up with answering tickets and email.
        - A little planning for rome.
        - Opened several tickets for improved wakeup/timeout handling:
            * 25373
            * 25374
            * 25375
            * 25376
            * 25377
    * This week:
        - Fix as many 033-must issues as I can
        - Grab and/or drop 034 tickets as I can
        - Prep for rome meetings
        - Travel to rome
        - Enjoy a little time in rome before the meeting starts

pastly (50%+ offline for meeting):
    tl;dr: I'm talking to my coworkers about finding time and
rationalizing funding for working
    on the torflow/bwauth problem.

    Working idea is currently to make something simplier
    than peerflow but still better than what Tor currently has. We/I
will be attending the
    related sessions in Rome. Once we decide if/when I can work on
this, I'll stay in
    communication with the network-team about progress and
implementation details so that
    the transition will go even more smoothly than KIST's

ahf
    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Roadmap document with Isa.
            - Wrote a patch to add a StatsReporter subsystem in Tor that can
              emit internal stats to external services for my phone:
              https://gitlab.com/ahf/tor/commit/96a1eb1dce3a82572dc09ad018955b34c47d0bb0
        Misc:
            - Landed small patch for #25378
            - Participated in PT meeting.
            - More messing around with PT/Windows code.
            - Setup a relay on a host to try the statsreporter code in
a relay-setting.
    This week:
        - Get the StatsReporter code in a shape where it can be
reviewed by others.
        - Prepare for Rome meeting and travel to Rome:
            - Finish Windows/PT project to demo for PT people in Rome.
        - See if I have overlooked any documents/roadmapping tasks before Rome.
        - Book Seattle meeting flights.

catalyst:
    last week (2018-W09):
        - make it easier to allow Travis builds to fail silently if
necessary (#25388)
        - Rome meeting and Seattle hackfest logistics (more
time-consuming and annoying than usual because reasons)
        - roadmappy stuff
    this week (2018-W10):
        - more meeting prep
        - more roadmappy stuff
        - May/June hackfest logistics
        - Rome meeting
        - CoC and SoV feedback as needed

Mike:
  Last week:
    - Went through controller bw events, wrote a patch for CIRC_BW (#25400)
    - Implemented bandwidth-based side-channel detection for vanguards
  This week:
    - Rome & travel

isabela:
    last week

    - worked with nick on organizing some stuff at the pad (above at todo part)

    this week
      - at iff - trying to get as much done before rome.

isis:
    last week:
        - reviewed #25268 and tested/attempted to reproduce #3940
        - wrote unittests for some things in circuitbuild.c and
bridges.c that were not tested
        - reviewed and cleaned up the rust logging code #23881
        - got a working sha2 wrapper in Rust (around our C) code, but
there's still linking issues #24659
        - added some cleanups to the crypto.c refactor #23658
        - looked into some other issues with rust builds #25341
    this week:
        - book stuff for may hackfest
        - pre-roadmapping planning/organisation
        - review #25386 which claims to fix my linker issues for #24659
        -