[tor-project] Notes from April 12 2018 Vegas team meeting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Sun Apr 15 20:32:15 UTC 2018

Notes for April 12 2018 meeting:

Arturo:
1) Update test lists for Kazakistan
(https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/330), Venezuela
(https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/329), Zimbabwe
(https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/327), Ethiopia
(https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/326)
2) Published blog post on OONI's recent participation at conferences in
Africa, India, and Europe:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/ooni-in-africa-india-europe-conferences/
3) Made some progress on getting yubikey based signing of probe
orchestration requests: https://github.com/TheTorProject/proteus/pull/42
4) We are in the process of consolidating all OONI related repositories
into github.com/ooni/. This should leave github.com/TheTorProject more
free from OONI related projects. We are going to keep in TheTorProject
all the OONI repos that are to be archived (i.e. that are deprecated)
5) Coordinating with Jon the shipment of OONI T-Shirts to Seattle
6) How should people donate to OONI specifically via
donate.torproject.org and receive OONI swag?
7) Did a talk at Tor Vergata University about Facebook and Cambridge
Analitica:
http://lug.uniroma2.it/2018/04/06/facebook-si-facebook-no-martedi-10-aprile/

Georg:
1) Misc.

Nick:
1) New release candidate coming out some time this weekend-ish?
2) Talking with crypto folks about improved crypto for tor relays,
following up from Rome.

Mike:
1) On the thread with Google about ReCaptcha: To be honest, I think that
reaching out to them like this is a waste of time. I should have
objected to the idea earlier. Public pressure about exactly how bad this
situation is will be the only thing that will move the needle in terms
of them devoting resources to the problem. For pete's sake.. This is a
company that is basically the primary/only gateway to much of the
Internet, and it has decided that certain IP addresses *do not deserve
access to that Internet*. Full stop. This is not a problem that gets
solved by having our devs talk to their devs to "nerd harder". This
should be a PR bloodbath..  We should have made it one months ago.

Alison:
1) continuing lots of work on the LFI curriculum
2) made some draft slides for the community portal
3) connected with community partners for Sponsor9, still doing planning
4) reviewing applications for the community liaison position
5) coordinating meeting-planners for Mexico City
6) hoping to get the initial invite list finalized this coming week
7) Nick, LibrePlanet folks are trying to get in touch with you to sign
the videorecording release/licensing [I haven't heard anything from
them.  What are they trying? -nick]

Steph:
1) DDG Privacy Challenge ended Tues, we’ll receive final tallies by
April 17, like 10-15k. We exceeded what we needed for the last challenge 2x
2) prepping for RightsCon and NYC meet up
3) the regular: editing posts, doing social
4) coordinating onion post, should have draft by end of april

Shari:
1) great trip to San Francisco last week. Met up with Mike, Sue Gardner,
Cindy, Trevor, lots of folks.
2) checking references of ED candidates
3) second interviews with ED candidates
4) meeting with board to discuss ED candidates
5) reviewing resumes for Community Liaison and User Advocate positions
6) trying to finalize Colin's goals

isabela:
1) bit overwhelmed this week
2) reviewing resumes for Community Liaison and reviewing resumes +
organizing UX Research Coordinator process
3) did some UX tasks that was pending my work (tpo sitemap, .onion
stuff) - but i am still behind on finishing organizing our roadmap (and
services one too!)
4) sent feb and march reports out to sponsors
5) writing more reports to close up sponsor4
6) trying to catch up with tommy on .onion grant proposal and on
censorship team stuff (but I think this one will be for next week not sure)
7) preparing to reach out to folks to start collecting information for
sponsor8
8) will be in Brazil starting April 20th (might miss that Friday
meetings) - will be there for a month and will be traveling around in
the country too. Will inform people of those days so folks know when I
am online etc.

Roger:
1) shari: no rush, but i'm still hoping to see the 2016-2017 income
categories broken up into line items (for example, to check if we
categorized the mdf-nvf money right)
2) i have one more month of magic eye contact lens bandage, and on may
10 we start the "potential misery" phase of the experiment. fyi.
3) sue and i sent the next round of accounting bureaucracy to the penn
person. this time for sure!
4) what's the story with defcon booth plan? i might have arranged for us
to use the privacy village after-hours.
5) my september toronto public library talk has blossomed into three
talks, including one to their staff.