[tor-project] Network team weekly meeting notes, 11 Dec 2017

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Dec 11 21:34:49 UTC 2017

Hi!

You can find the logs for our weekly network team meeting at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2017/tor-meeting.2017-12-11-18.00.html

Our notes are below:

============

Network team meeting pad, 11 December 2017

“I did not mean to break that planet it was just in the way when I
came into being and I fixed it and I said I was sorry and the planet
said OK so since I’m supposed to learn from stuff like that I will
tell you don’t break planets, especially the ones with living things
on them, or at least fix them if you do break them. Also, don’t go in
black holes, no matter how much they look like cute little Nahas. They
are not cute! They are actually very bitey and kind of mean. Also just
OK I do not want to talk about any of this anymore.”

-- The Awakened Kingdom, N. K. Jemisin

Welcome to our meeting!  Every Monday at 1700 UTC 1800 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.  (This channel is logged while meetings are in
progress.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

Note the meeting location: #tor-meeting on OFTC!
 (See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Meeting notes from last week:
    * https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-December/001582.html

Old Announcements:
    - On the roadmap spreadsheet: Please take december/january tasks.
(If somebody else has already taken something you want, please talk to
them and/or add yourself too.)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ufrun1khEo5Cwd6OwngERn829wU3W3eskdrriaYfUBQ/edit?usp=sharing
    - Soon it will be It is now time to triage 0.3.3.x tickets.
Please make yourself the owner of tickets in that milestone that you
will do.
    - The meeting time is now 1800 UTC.

Announcements:
    - We are planning a single-day pre-planned highly-focused hackfest
before the Rome Tor meeting

    - komlo: Should there be a Rust update/planning session?  What
should we prepare/do beforehand to help this be
planned/highly-focused?

    - review-group-27 is open, there are 5 tickets left
      https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&keywords=~review-group-27&col=id&col=summary&col=keywords&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=reviewer&order=priority
    - Let's have some proposal discussions. Isis kicked off the process here:
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2017-December/012666.html
    - No regularly scheduled network-team meetings on 25 Dec through Jan 5.
    - The _free() patch got merged so I would like to bring this to
everyone attention:

 doc/HACKING/CodingStandards.md -> Allocator conventions

    - Tor 0.3.2.7-rc (or alpha) comes out Thu or Fri

    - Does anyone want to help refresh the fallback directory mirrors?
      It's pretty easy, and you get to thank a whole bunch of relay operators.
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2017-December/012674.html
      [Pastly is interested! So is hello71!]
    -

teor:
    - Last week:
        - PrivCount release and deployment
        - Revise the client code for IPv6 in microdesc consensus (#23827)
        - Revise a fix for bridge descriptor caching and retries (#24392)
        - Review the metrics IPv6 relay graphs (#23761)
        - Asked for an equal-area projection for metrics maps (#24563)
          Anyone remember the  scene from The West Wing? Well, I'm living it.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gall%E2%80%93Peters_projection#In_popular_culture
        - Emailed Jon about a venue for the pre-Rome hackfest.
Awaiting a response.
        - Various security stuff and code reviews and helping volunteers.
    - This week:
        - Fix a bug in PrivCount where I confused "first to close" and
"first to open"
        - Admin for collecting research data
        - Book flights for Rome
        - Work on getting the test network running new IPv6 consensus code
        - Maybe start implementing onion service client counts for
experimental PrivCount?
        - Maybe revise node_get_{prim,ipv6}_{or,dir}port() so the unit
tests work again (#23975)

asn:
  Last week:
  - Another week of mostly code reviewing:
     + Reviewed mike's #23101: "Predict and build specific HS purpose
circuits (rather than GENERAL)".
     + Reviewed #23603, #23459, #23271.
  - Attended UX+onion meeting and did some relevant work:
     + Updated the Onion-Location HTTP proposal:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2017-December/012660.html
     + Posted some analysis on #23247 on the padlock/onion states of
onion+HTTPS.
  - Slowly started work on guard discovery again:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2017-December/012657.html
  - Opened #24544 for some leftover prop224 spec issues pointed out in
[tor-dev].
  This week:
  - Continue review/testing of prop247/SponsorV tickets.
  - Continue guard discovery work. Get the simulator run again.
  - Continue Onion+UX work.

Mike:
  Last week:
   - Finished up #23100 and #23114 for merged (Thanks asn and Nick!)
   - Did a bit more work on #13837 in response to asn and dgoulet's code review
  This week:
   - Fix a memory leak that turned up in #23114 in the unit tests..
   - Work on #13837 and #23101
   - Try to find time to help review code

Nick:
    Last week:
        - Worked on future sandbox strategy
        - Finished reviews and merges for review-group-26. (Lots of
code!) Opened rg27.
        - Finished rewrite of free() functions. #24337
        - Worked on several 0.3.2.x fixes
        - Worked on privcount-in-rust proof-of-concept code

        - komlo: If you want extra eyes on this afterward, I can help review

        - Worked on migrating xmit-time on channels to do less 64-bit
division.  Needs more work; got a false start.
    This week:
        - Meeting about wide-create cells
        - Follow-up about utf8 proposal (deferred)
        - Follow-up about privcount proposal (deferred)
        - Follow-up about hibernation proposal (deferred)
        - Release 0.3.2.7-{alpha? rc?}
        - Review and merge, review and merge.
        - See how much progress I can make on #23847 (make tor
in-processs restartable.)
        - List sponsor8 tickets for isabela (with ahf and catalyst)

dgoulet:
  Last Week:
    - #23709 got merged so very happy about this. Will allow me to continue
      to tackle child tickets of #23993.
    - Worked on a patch for #24554 which makes specific scheduler data to be
      stored in a channel_t. Big side effect is removing memory allocation
      from the scheduler main loop.
    - Found the cause of #24346 which was all along #23603 that just got
      merged this morning \o/.
    - Discussion on the security list. I've started an initial patch proposed
      by teor, nothing working yet. I'll need to put more time on this.
    - Reviewed review-group-27 tickets.
    - All my 032 tickets have been finalized
  This Week:
    - Be available for the 032 milestone and hopefully an -rc release this
      week. Still some tickets in there that we might want to try to resolve
      or explicitly postpone before the stable release.
    - A wise move on my part would be to start seriously the IPv6 support for
      HSv3. I'll go over the opened ticket and sync up with teor.
    - Maybe some scheduler work if time permit it. #23993 is the parrent
      ticket and maybe fixing stuff in #24554 once I get a review. My next
      move is #23744 but that depends on #24554 to be merged.

komlo (offline):
    - This week:

    - I will finish #23881, I didn't have the chance to work on it last week

      - Thinking over which Rust work should be done next (excluding
build pipeline tasks) in order to have a stable development
environment for Rust-by-default/Rust-only implementations (will send
an email with this for feedback).

pastly:
    did:  acted as a wall for dgoulet to bounce ideas off of
    todo: review #24554 for dgoulet
    todo: contact teor about helping build fallback directory mirror list

ahf
    Last week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Added patches for Android logging (#24362)
            - Been working on comparing progress with the reporting simpleperf
              does with focus on the monotime_coarse_absolute_msec() patches by
              Nick (#24374).
            - Switched over to using the `tor-android` repo for building native
              targets for Orbot.
        Misc:
            - Fixed Coverity issue: #24543
            - Reviewed #22703, #24427
            - Bug triage rotation duty.
    This week:
        Sponsor 8:
            - Finish event loop metrics patches. (nickm: how are they now?)
            - Upstream patches to `tor-android` for slightly easier compilation
              and to include bench/tests on devices. (nickm asks: do
you mean "from" tor-android?)
            - Do Q4 reporting to Isa.
            - Status meeting with Sponsor 8 people and Isa.

catalyst:
    Last week (2017-W49):
        - looked into Tails time sync issues and how they might relate
to our bootstrapping related clock skew problems
        - looked at #24337 (*_free() macros)
        - looking at delaying descriptor fetches when they'd be useless (#2878)
        - tagging more sponsor8 stuff
    This week (2017-W50):
        - #2878
        - collecting info about misleading bootstrap phases that
bootstrap can hang on
        - out 12/15 and 12/22 (also 12/25-1/1 like many people); will
occasionally check email but probably not IRC
        - other sponsor8 bookkeeping

Hello71:
    - meson? https://cgit.alxu.ca/tor.git/commit/?h=meson&id=a0a6f3c4d0a0fb5f4d5bf2a27bc086dceb89ea96