[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 26 August 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Aug 26 17:49:31 UTC 2019


You can find the transcript of our latest meeting at


Below are the contents of our meeting pad when the meeting was done:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 19 August 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.
We have changed the day from Tuesday to Wednesday.

August schedule:
    * Monday 12 August 1700 UTC
    * Monday 19 August 1700 UTC
    * Monday 26 August 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Wednesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the tor-project mailing list archive for older notes.)
In-person meetings:
22 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-July/002401.html
29 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-July/002408.html
7 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002418.html
12 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002431.html
19 August: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-August/002435.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

* When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.
    * And it is ok to reschedule things.

---- 26 August 2019

== Announcements ==


ahf will be AFK all of August for BornHack and CCC Camp, but will be
on IRC every now and then

On September there is a technical writer from Google Season of Docs
starting to work with us on rewriting the Tor manual page. She will be
participating in the network team meetings. Her project:

We are moving the kanban board from storm into
https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/core/tor/boards . This will help
lead a plan for migration into dip.torproject.org.

The release date for 0.4.1.x-stable is postponed to 20 August, so that
it will come out _after_ Nick is back from vacation.  Please get all
041 blockers fixed and merged if possible?

People working on sponsor 31 will meet on Thursday August 29th at 2300
UTC. We will talk in #tor-meeting and the agenda will be

== Discussion ==

* [gaba] There are some tickets left from August in the Roadmap. Do we
icebox them?

teor says: it's still August for 8 more days?

* [gaba] do we schedule next network team retrospective? It may be a
good idea to skip until end of September as many people were on leave
in August. <-- It will be on late September -->

== Recommended links ==

Ricochet Refresh with Tor

macOS 10.5 has a read-only system volume and a redesigned path structure.
Standard Unix tools shouldn't be affected, but some builds or apps might be:

the onion talk at ccc camp

== Updates ==

    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba: (updated on august 23rd)

Last week (actual):

. roadmap in gitlab: uploaded september issues

. s31: scheduling check-in for this week

. ipv6 funding proposal

This week (planned):

. s31

. scalability funding proposal

Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

    Week of 19 August (planned):
            - config.c refactor code review (#30914), because we want
to get it done by the end of August
            - finish add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem
hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace code
            - finish small 0.4.1 tasks
            - finish remaining code reviews, except for neel's big PR
that I will split up

    Week of 19 August (actual):
            - CI monitoring
            - IPv6 funding proposal
            - release notes fixes for
            - finished some code reviews
            - reviewed big config refactor PRs:
                - #30914 - merged
                - #30935 - ready for merge
                - #31240 - in the middle of the review
            - responded to reviews on my code
            - practracker bug fixes for #30979 and #31462
            - backport deciding, tagging, and making backport branches
from master PRs
            - bug fixes for monotime coarse conversion overflows (bug
only in master) #31482
            - diagnosing another bug in the token bucket refactor #31483
            - implemented #23818 and #23507 and the associated spec change
            - worked on #21003 so I could see the IPv6 addresses in
logs to review #31088 <<-- gaba: this is not in the roadmap. what was
the priority about it? Thanks! I was talking about #21003 and not the
review -->>
                - I was assigned #31008 to review. I needed to see the
IPv6 addresses in logs as part of the review. So I did #21003.
                - For more details see
                - We can also make it Sponsor27-can, because it is
useful for debugging #23818 and #23507
            - helping with rustc version CI changes
            - helping relay operators with various issues

    Week of 26 August (planned):
            - CI monitoring
            - config.c refactor code review, because we want to get it
done by the end of August
            - finish add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem
hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace code
            - finish small 0.4.1 tasks
            - finish remaining code reviews, except for neel's big PR
that I will split up
            - do the backports that are due after the release,
switch hidden tags
            - backport deciding
            - team policies: commit bit and roles?

    Week of 26 August (actual):
            - reviewed big config refactor PRs:
                - #30935 - ready for merge
                - #31240 - in the middle of the review
            - helping relay operators with various issues

    Week of 19 August (planned):
        - Release (stable)
        - More 29211 (configuration refactor) work. Hoping to reach
the point where 1 module is module-wise configured
        - Review and merge
        - Revise old branches after they're reviewed.
        - Finish and submit walking onions paper.
    Week of 19 August (actual):
        - Stopped new work on 29211 pending catch-up from reviews
        - Released stable
        - Review and merge
        - Worked on Walking Onions paper
        - Pending Coverity issues (pending)
    Week of 26 August (planned):
        - Revisions for 31240 (make confparse handle compound formats
and objects)
        - Review and merge
        - Finish 31241 (refactor conf validation), make it needs_review
        - If we catch up with merge and revision on 29211: move on to 30866.
        - Practracker tests (31477)
        - Start early on September roadmap items, time permitting.

    Week of 8/19 (planned):
        - Medical leave
    Week of 8/19 (actual):
        - Medical leave
    Week of 8/26 (planned):
        - Catch up on mail/tickets
        - Work on circpad dev doc
    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month:
        - Circpad doc writing? (asn?)
        - Firefox ESR network code review
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup (masque,
BGP, ECN, etc)
        - Relay community drive/mgmt (and related LTS herding)
        - Circpad documentation + Sponsor 2 report

    week of 08/19 (2019-W34) (planned):
        - catching up after leave
        - skimming IRC highlights; please email me if you think i've
missed something important
        - reorient on current CI status
    week of 08/19 (2019-W34) (actual):
        - made progress on #30984 (key-value lines for control
replies) -- fixed some memory management issues, started improving
        - worked some partial days (medical)
    week of 08/26 (2019-W35) (planned):
        - reviews
        - investigate some Jenkins failures
        - get #30984 ready for review (key-value lines for control
replies) -- still documenting some things

   Week of 19/08 (planned):
   - Read [tor-dev] [prop305] Introduction Point Behavior
   - Check open hackerone issue.
   - Finish up with reviews and merges before CCC camp.
   - Attend CCC camp and participate in the talk.
   - Speak with the onionbalance maintainer during camp to make plans for v3
   Week of 19/08 (actual):
   - Replied to [tor-dev] threads
   - Cleared up hackerone issue.
   - Reviewed and revised #30924 (DoS ticket)
   - Finished all urgent reviews/merges but not all of them.
   - Worked on onionbalance:
     - Met with Donncha at camp and talked onionbalance.
     - Spoke with atagar about #31369 and reviewed his new code.
     - Mapped out what needs to be done in #31369 from my side.
   - Did the talk at camp!
   Week of 26/08 (planned):
   - Finish up reviews/merges that piled up further.
   - More work on stem side of onionbalance (#31369)
   - Find time to watch the recording from the latest mozilla meeting
   - Think about HS issue: #20212

ahf: - on leave
    Week of 22/7 (planned):
        - Do reimbursement
        - Go over all notes from Stockholm that seems relevant to me.
        - Follow up on pre-Stockholm items:
            - Continue figuring out some info on a potential Danish funder.
            - Continue with #5304 and #28930
    Week of 22/7 (actually):
        - Did reimbursement
        - Went over all notes from Stockholm.
        - Followed up on pre-Stockholm items:
            - Continue figuring out some info on a potential Danish
funder (postponed until they are back from vacation).
            - Continued work with #5304 and #28930
    Week of 29/7 (planned):
        - Finish off #5304 and #28930 before going on vacation.
        - Review Roger's DEFCON slides.
        - Do you need any help from me before I leave?

  Week of 19/08 (actual):
    - #30924 has been revised and now merge_ready
    - Worked on HS timeout issues (#30200 + #28841). Built a tracing system to
      follow the HS dance coupled with circuit build time and timeout. Already
      paid off, #31490 is a bug that came out of it.
    - Spent time chasing a EWMA cell scheduling issue but fell off the radar
      after some hours, lack of time to continue.
  Week of 26/08 (planned):
    - Continue on #30200.
    - Address revisions needed for #30924 if any comes.

More information about the tor-project mailing list