[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 29 July 2019

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Jul 29 18:56:27 UTC 2019

Hello!

You can find the logs of our weekly meeting at
http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2019/tor-meeting.2019-07-29-17.00.html

Below you can find the contents of our pad.

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Monday 29 July at 1700 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.
We have changed the day from Tuesday to Wednesday.

July schedule:
    * Wednesday 3 July 2300 UTC - Changed Day!
    * Monday 8 July at 1700 UTC
    * (In-person meeting 12-14 July)
    * Monday 22 July 1700 UTC
    * Monday 29 July 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Wednesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2017-September/001459.html
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the list archive for older notes.)
3 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-June/002343.html
10 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-June/002354.html
17 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-June/002365.html
24 June: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-June/002373.html
3 July:  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-July/002389.html
8 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-July/002390.html
In-person meetings:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/meetings/2019Stockholm/Notes
22 July: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2019-July/002401.html

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases/041Status
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:
      https://storm.torproject.org/shared/_mx8PMGOHFBOximocl1gy3COvhLPr6k3Ja7JA1vNIXr
      Click on 'all boards' and then the network team one. Filter by
your name and check the 'in progress' column is correct.

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any blocker?

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2FTor&or&status=needs_review&component=Core+Tor%2Fsbws&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=changetime&col=reviewer&col=keywords&order=changetime

Any blocker from last week?

== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing
work for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a
ticket. We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.

And it is ok to reschedule things.

-------------------------------
---- 22 July 2019
-------------------------------

== Announcements ==

reminder: catalyst will be AFK Jul 29 through Aug 18
nickm will be AFK August 12 through August 16
ahf will be AFK all of August for BornHack and CCC Camp, but will be
on IRC every now and then

== Discussion ==

- we are moving the kanban board from storm into dip.torproject.org

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==

Name:
    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

     - Something you may need help with.

PLEASE DO NOT BULK-DELETE THE OLD ENTRIES!

Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!

gaba:

Last week (actual):

. vacation

This week (planned):

. catching up from last week

. following up from tor meeting

Help with:

teor: (offline at the usual meeting time)

    Week of 8 July (actual):
        Urgent:
            - Taking time off before long-haul travel and Stockholm meeting
            - Travel preparation
            - Ticket triage
            - Proposal responses
        Backlog:
            - code reviews
            - add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem hangs (#30901)
            - disown or quick fix the rest of my tickets:
                - I should only be owner on tickets I will work on in
the next month
            - fix sponsor on tickets?
            - CI for pluggable transports (#29267) <-- this is
priority over #29224 and 29227 in the roadmap --gaba
            - Update EndOfLifeTor.md with our latest end of life
process (#30839)
            - document disabled CI (#30745)
            - triage remaining backport backlog

Nick:
    Week of 22 July (planned):
        - Review and merge
        - Try to release 0.4.1.4-rc
        - Backports for 0.4.0.x?
        - More 29211 work (config.c): can I get all the backend code written?
        - Reply wrt proposal 295
        - Reply wrt proposal 306
        - More practracker fixes, time permitting
    Week of 22 July (actual):
        - Progress on 29211 (config.c) -- solved multiplicity issues
and started on refactoring validation.
        - Small fundraising conversations
        - Review, merge, etc
        - Added entries for S31 to roadmapping spreadsheet
        - Released 0.4.1.4-rc
        - Fixed a bunch of surprise jenkins warnings :/
    Week of 29 July (planned):
        - More 29211 work (config.c): validation and subsystems integration.
        - Revise a bunch of earlier 29211 code
        - Revise a bunch of earlier practracker code
        - More practracker work
        - Help with any remaining roadmapping issues
        - Review and merge.
        - Backport things to 0.4.0.x?

Mike:
    Week of 7/22 (actual):
        - Recovery from stockholm + PETS
        - Looked at #30992 logs (circpad warn) -- still not sure how
the wrong hop thing is happening.. :/
    Week of 7/29 (planned):
        - Peer reviews
        - Expense reports
        - Try to determine severity of wtf-pad log warn bugs
        - Define roles for Research Director position
        - Try not to work more than max hours for July

catalyst:

    week of 07/08 (2019-W28) (planned):
        - travel prep
        - Stockholm meeting
    week of 07/08 (2019-W28) (actual):
        - travel prep
        - Stockholm meeting
    week of 07/15 (2019-W29) (actual):
        - travel
        - time off to recover from travel
    week of 07/22 (2019-W30) (planned):
        - Season of Docs selection due 07/23
        - expense reports
        - follow up from Stockholm meeting
        - hand off some reviews to teor
        - working partial days this week

asn:
   Week of 07/01 (actual):
   - Pushed #26294 branch to needs_review.
   - Some more thoughts on the DoS thread.
   - Some more thoughts on scaling thread.
   - Lots of hackerone activity/triaging/rewarding (#31022, #31001,
plus one more not yet filed)
   - Finished review/merge backlog.
   Week of 07/08 (planned):
   - Triaged a few wtf-pad related tickets but need more work: #30649, #31098.
   - Tor meeting in Stockholm.
   - Allhands expenses

ahf
    Week of 22/7 (planned):
        - Do reimbursement
        - Go over all notes from Stockholm that seems relevant to me.
        - Follow up on pre-Stockholm items:
            - Continue figuring out some info on a potential Danish funder.
            - Continue with #5304 and #28930
    Week of 22/7 (actually):
        - Did reimbursement
        - Went over all notes from Stockholm.
        - Followed up on pre-Stockholm items:
            - Continue figuring out some info on a potential Danish
funder (postponed until they are back from vacation).
            - Continued work with #5304 and #28930
    Week of 29/7 (planned):
        - Finish off #5304 and #28930 before going on vacation.
        - Review Roger's DEFCON slides.
        - Do you need any help from me before I leave?

dgoulet: (offline)
  Week of 07/01 (actual):
    - s27 DoS work: #15516, #24963/#24964
    - Tor-dev update on the DoS experimentation:
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2019-July/013923.html
  Week of 07/08 (planned):
    - Stocklholm.
    - Need to address urgently a series of pending bad-relays email.