[tor-project] Network team meeting notes, 12th Aug 2019

Gaba gaba at torproject.org
Thu Aug 15 17:55:41 UTC 2019


We had a very short meeting this week last Monday.

The logs are here:


The contents of the network team meeting's pad:

= Network team meeting pad! =

This week's team meeting is at Wednesday 7 August 2300 UTC on
#tor-meeting on OFTC.
We have changed the day from Tuesday to Wednesday.

August schedule:
    * Wednesday 7 August 2300 UTC (!!!)
    * Monday 12 August 1700 UTC
    * Monday 19 August 1700 UTC
    * Monday 26 August 1700 UTC

Welcome to our meeting!
First meeting each month: Wednesday at 2300 UTC
Other meetings each month: Mondays at 1700 UTC until 3 November 2019,
when daylight saving time changes
On #tor-meeting on OFTC.

(This channel is logged while meetings are in progress.) (See
for background.)

Want to participate?  Awesome!  Here's what to do:
    1. If you have updates, enter them below, under your name.
    2. If you see anything you want to talk about in your updates, put
them in boldface!
    3. Show up to the IRC meeting and say hi!

After each week's meetings, the contents of this pad will be sent to
tor-project @ lists.torproject.org.
After that is done, the pad can be used for the next week.

== Previous notes ==
(Search the tor-project mailing list archive for older notes.)
In-person meetings:
22 July:
29 July:
7 August:

== Stuff to do every week =

* Let's check the 0.4.1 release status page.
  (This page automatically shows the latest trac ticket status.)

* Let's check and update the roadmap.
  What's done, and what's coming up?
  We're using a kanban board:

* Check reviewer assignments! How reviews from last week worked? Any

Here are the outstanding reviews, oldest first, including sbws


== Reminders ==

* Remember to "/me status: foo" at least once daily.
* Remember that our current code reviews should be done by end-of-week.
* Make sure you are in touch with everybody with whom you are doing work
for the next releases.

* Remember to fill up the 'actual point' field when you close a ticket.
We need those to calculate velocity.

* Check other's people call for help in their entries.

* When you are overloaded, it is ok to say "no" to things.
    * And it is ok to reschedule things.

---- 12 August 2019

== Announcements ==


    reminder: catalyst will be AFK Jul 29 through Aug 18

    nickm will be AFK August 12 through August 16

    ahf will be AFK all of August for BornHack and CCC Camp, but will be
on IRC every now and then

    On September there is a technical writer from Google Season of Docs
starting to work with us on rewriting the Tor manual page. She will be
participating in the network team meetings. Her project:

    We are moving the kanban board from storm into
https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/core/tor/boards . This will help
lead a plan for migration into dip.torproject.org.

    The release date for 0.4.1.x-stable is postponed to 20 August, so
that it will come out _after_ Nick is back from vacation.  Please get
all 041 blockers fixed and merged if possible?

== Discussion ==

     #31356 #31387 and #30992

== Recommended links ==

== Updates ==

    Week of XYZ (planned):
        - What you planned for last week.
    Week of XYZ (actual):
        - What you did last week.
    Week of ABC (planned):
        - What you're planning to do this week.
    Help with:

         - Something you may need help with.


Leave the "Planned" parts!
Leave the parts for last week and this week!


    Last week (actual):

    . catching up

    . s30

    . roadmap

    This week (planned):

    . s28

    Help with:

teor: (online first week of the month, offline at the usual meeting time)

    Week of 5 August (planned):
            - config.c refactor code review (#30914), because nickm is
going away next week
            - triage remaining backport backlog
            - finish add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem
hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace
            - code reviews

    Week of 5 August (actual):
            - config.c refactor meeting
            - worked on add tor controller trace logging to diagnose
stem hangs (#30901)
                - found bugs in practracker, draft add files script,
others ...
            - implemented #29879 and #31314, because they were useful
for backports
            - merged #29280 and #30591 (sponsor 31: chutney and stem CI)
            - ticket triage
            - some code reviews
            - IPv6 funding proposal first pass estimates and details,
personas and objectives meeting Friday
            - proposal 306 IPv6 happy eyeballs review
            - chutney and fallback-scripts merges
            - backport triage, lots of CI merges, lots of backport merges

    Week of 12 August (planned):
            - config.c refactor code review (#30914), because we want to
get it done by the end of August
            - finish add tor controller trace logging to diagnose stem
hangs (#30901)
                - try nickm's suggested a simpler implementation
                - split off bugs I found while writing the control trace
            - finish small 0.4.1 tasks
            - code reviews

    Week of 12 August (actual):
            - ticket triage
            - cleared backport merge backlog
            - Tried to help get Rust working on BSD (#31390)
            - IPv6 funding proposal - extra objectives as people bring
them up
            - update draft backport and release policies - maybe I
should turn these into proposals?
            - helped anti-censorship team find the tor function that
provides complete bridge PT lines (#29128)


    Week of 5 August (planned):
        - More review and merge
        - Finish august practracker work by getting may-include support
        - Fix several CI issues
        - Work on validation refactoring for #29211 (config.c).
        - Logs ot meetings
        - Try to end the week with inbox zero
        - Reschnedule 041-stable
        - Walking onions paper
        - Start on 0.4.1.x release notes
        - NOTE: I am on vacation next week!
    Week of 5 August (actual):
        - Various meetings
        - Logs of review and merge
        - Did a little work on #29211 validation; came up with a better
        - Talked with teor about approaches to 30901
        - Finished first version all practracker tickets
        - Worked on a git hook issue (30979)
        - Started release process for -- hoping it can come out
on 20 Aug
        - Worked on CI failures; opened several tickets for jenkins and
appveyor issues, with patches
        - Worked on walking onions paper
        - ...
    Week of 12 august (planned):
        - ON VACATION

Mike (may have to leave early):
    Week of 8/7 (planned):
        - Fix https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30992 and/or
        - Clean up #30942
        - Catch up on researcher and scalability related mail
    Week of 8/7 (actual):
        - Fix https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/31343
    week of 8/12 (planned):

    Need help with/at risk of dropping this month:
        - Deep-thought-required research project followup (masque, BGP,
ECN, etc)
        - Private browsing meetings
        - Relay community drive/mgmt (and related LTS herding)
        - Circpad documentation + Sponsor 2 report
        - Firefox ESR network code review
        - Code reviews?

catalyst: - on leave

    week of 07/08 (2019-W28) (planned):
        - travel prep
        - Stockholm meeting
    week of 07/08 (2019-W28) (actual):
        - travel prep
        - Stockholm meeting
    week of 07/15 (2019-W29) (actual):
        - travel
        - time off to recover from travel
    week of 07/22 (2019-W30) (planned):
        - Season of Docs selection due 07/23
        - expense reports
        - follow up from Stockholm meeting
        - hand off some reviews to teor
        - working partial days this week

   Week of 08/05 (actual):
   - Started looking at onionbalance v3.
   - Finished reviews/merges backlog from vacations.
   - Some travel planning for OTF.
   - Revised #30381 branch.
   - Another review of #15516.
   - Triaged/reviewed 041 bugs: #30992
   Week of 08/12 (planned):
   - More onionbalance v3
   - Work on WTF-PAD #30992
   - Do reviews/merges.

ahf: - on leave
    Week of 22/7 (planned):
        - Do reimbursement
        - Go over all notes from Stockholm that seems relevant to me.
        - Follow up on pre-Stockholm items:
            - Continue figuring out some info on a potential Danish funder.
            - Continue with #5304 and #28930
    Week of 22/7 (actually):
        - Did reimbursement
        - Went over all notes from Stockholm.
        - Followed up on pre-Stockholm items:
            - Continue figuring out some info on a potential Danish
funder (postponed until they are back from vacation).
            - Continued work with #5304 and #28930
    Week of 29/7 (planned):
        - Finish off #5304 and #28930 before going on vacation.
        - Review Roger's DEFCON slides.
        - Do you need any help from me before I leave?

  Week of 05/08 (actual):
    - Did scaling work for #31340. Takes a lot of work and concentration
so I
      rushed a lot of hours there so I can have 100% focus.
    - Got #15516 merged finally so I can finalize prop305 this week.
    - Progress on #30924. Not done yet.
  Week of 12/08 (planned):
    - High priority for me is finishing #30924 and hopefully go in quick
      and forth review with asn.
    - Maybe some tor-scaling continuation from last week.

Project Manager: Network, Anti-Censorship and Metrics teams
gaba at torproject.org
she/her are my pronouns
GPG Fingerprint EE3F DF5C AD91 643C 21BE  8370 180D B06C 59CA BD19

More information about the tor-project mailing list