[tor-dev] GSoC 17 | Name System API for Tor Onion Services

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Fri Mar 24 15:33:02 UTC 2017

Pickfire <pickfire at riseup.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am Ivan Tham. Currently studying in Computer Science in APIIT Malaysia. I am
> interested particapate in Google Summer of Code 2017 under tor organization. I
> am interested to see Proposal 224 coming along but I would really like to see
> [Proposal 272][0] and hope that tor hidden services can be more user-friendly.

Hello,

there is still interest in this proposal but unfortunately it hasn't
been revised since it was first posted on the mailing list. The mailing
list feedback unfortunately has not been incorporated to the proposal
yet; particularly the comments by David Fifield are very relevant and
should be considered carefully before taking the proposal too seriously.

In general, I suggest to anyone who wants to work on this proposal, to
do it using a Tor controller instead of hacking the main C tor
code. meejah suggested this here:
      https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-October/011517.html
and it seems like a proper solution here would involve controller events
like NEWRESOLVE, MAPADDRESS, and plus some extra magic.

I must say that this project is definitely relevant for GSoC, but it
needs a _strong_ and _independent_ student that can handle it.

Also, Tor is currently having a real life meeting so most of us are very
busy. We plan to discuss the proposal during the meeting, so I hope to
send a short update next week at some point if I find the time (and also
merge it to torspec.git since it's currently missing).

I'm looking forward to any proposal comments, as well as responses to
the feedback received. Also, if someone can sketch an implementation
plan for the controller idea that would be great.

Sorry for the uncertainties here and good luck!
Cheers!