[tor-dev] Proposal 274: A Name System API for Tor Onion Services

meejah meejah at meejah.ca
Fri Oct 7 22:27:45 UTC 2016

George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> writes:

I have skimmed over this proposal, and it all sounds plausible. This:

>    In the beginning, name plugins should be third-party applications that can
>    be installed by interested users manually or through package managers. Users
>    will also have to add the appropriate OnionNamePlugin line to their torrc.
>    This will be a testing phase, and also a community-growing phase.

...made me think: couldn't the whole proposal be implemented via a
controller (with MAPADDRESS)?

That is, the controller registers to re-map streams, and for every
request to e.g. "^*.corn$" it speaks the proposed lookup protocol to the
registered plugins. That is, the whole approach could be more-quickly
prototyped in e.g. Python, and if it works well could them be
implemented in C in Tor proper (but the actual name-looking-up plugins
would all still work).

In any case, I like it :)

--
meejah