[tor-dev] GSoC 17 | Name System API for Tor Onion Services

Ivan Tham pickfire at riseup.net
Sat Mar 25 05:06:11 UTC 2017

George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> wrote:

> Pickfire <pickfire at riseup.net> writes:
>
> > I am Ivan Tham. Currently studying in Computer Science in APIIT Malaysia. I am
> > interested particapate in Google Summer of Code 2017 under tor organization. I
> > am interested to see Proposal 224 coming along but I would really like to see
> > [Proposal 272][0] and hope that tor hidden services can be more user-friendly.
>
> there is still interest in this proposal but unfortunately it hasn't
> been revised since it was first posted on the mailing list. The mailing
> list feedback unfortunately has not been incorporated to the proposal
> yet; particularly the comments by David Fifield are very relevant and
> should be considered carefully before taking the proposal too seriously.

Does

> In general, I suggest to anyone who wants to work on this proposal, to
> do it using a Tor controller instead of hacking the main C tor
> code. meejah suggested this here:
>       https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-October/011517.html

Does that mean that I well be working on the prototype with python first and
then convert it into C?

> and it seems like a proper solution here would involve controller events
> like NEWRESOLVE, MAPADDRESS, and plus some extra magic.

I don't quite understand what does that mean.

> I must say that this project is definitely relevant for GSoC, but it
> needs a _strong_ and _independent_ student that can handle it.

I will definitely do my best for it but I will really need a mentor to help
because I am confused by some parts of it as well.

> Also, Tor is currently having a real life meeting so most of us are very
> busy. We plan to discuss the proposal during the meeting, so I hope to
> send a short update next week at some point if I find the time (and also
> merge it to torspec.git since it's currently missing).

Nice, can I join as well to have a clearer understanding of it?

> I'm looking forward to any proposal comments, as well as responses to
> the feedback received. Also, if someone can sketch an implementation
> plan for the controller idea that would be great.
>
> Sorry for the uncertainties here and good luck!
> Cheers!

No problem, I still see that the proprosal isn't very solid right now.