[tor-reports] SponsorR September 2016 report

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Fri Oct 7 20:23:54 UTC 2016

Hello,

here is the September 2016 report for SponsorR:

- The prop224 HSDir code passed the first rounds of review, and is in line to
  get merged on 0.3.0 (#17238). This is a big chunk of the work needed to
  complete proposal 224.

- The first iteration of the prop224 ESTABLISH_INTRO code is now in
  needs_review, and in line to get reviewed. This is the next chunk of work
  required for next generation hidden services, and represents the first part
  of relay-side code.

- We wrote a blog post to educate the community on the onionbalance tool:
  https://blog.torproject.org/blog/cooking-onions-finding-onionbalance

- We continued discussing and brainstorming possible secure naming systems and
  their integration with Tor:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-September/011459.html

- We discussed our migration path from v2 (current) to v3 (next gen) hidden services:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-September/011381.htmlx

- We discussed various potential protocol improvements:

  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-September/011353.html
  [tor-dev] Reducing initial onion descriptor upload delay (down to 0s?)

  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-September/011465.html
  [tor-dev] prop224: Ditching key blinding for shorter onion addresses

  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-September/011469.html
  [tor-dev] Onioncat and Prop224