[tor-dev] Naming Systems wiki page

Jeremy Rand jeremyrand at airmail.cc
Tue Sep 27 06:27:27 UTC 2016

George Kadianakis:

> I made a wiki page for Naming Systems  here:
>   https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/OnionServiceNamingSystems
>
> Feel free to start adding information and links and make it look nicer.
>
> Let's try to build a good knowledge base that will help us take informed
> decisions. Please try to maintain some sort of consistent structure through the
> document.
>
> (In the unlikely case where the doc gets out of hand, I will try to find some
> time to curate it.)
>
> Thanks! :)

Hello!  I just had a chance to look through the latest state of the wiki
page (thanks to everyone who's been expanding it).  I've added several
items to the security properties and drawbacks sections of Namecoin, and
made a few trivial corrections; hopefully none of them are
controversial.  (If anyone thinks I made a mistake, please let me know.)

I notice that kernelcorn added an item to the "drawbacks" section of
Namecoin, which says "Hard to authenticate names."  It's not entirely
clear to me what is meant by this item, so it's hard for me to evaluate
its accuracy.

Any chance Jesse could elaborate on this?

Cheers,
-Jeremy

PS: Happy to see that OnioNS is still being worked on -- I think it's
great to have more of the solution space explored and more options
available, regardless of the fact that OnioNS and Namecoin could be
considered competitors.  We're all in this together, and I'd love to see
both OnioNS and Namecoin succeed.  :)