[tor-reports] George's status report: May 2016

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Tue May 31 14:00:41 UTC 2016

Hello,

this status report contains some items from April as well, since it seems like
I never managed to send out that status report on time...

# Activities of May 2016

- Attended the Montreal hidden service hackfest where we did tons of hidden
  services development. Check out the corresponding blog post:
  https://blog.torproject.org/blog/mission-montreal-building-next-generation-onion-services

- Did lots of testing and bug fixes on the shared randomness system
  (prop250). Our branch has already been reviewed a few times, and it's now
  revised and back in needs_review. Exciting stuff!

- Did lots of design work for prop224. See relevant threads and commits in
  torspec.git:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-May/010913.html
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-April/010713.html
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-April/010719.html

- Did some code review and design discussion on the new guard algorithm project
  (prop259). Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to spend on this during
  May...
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-April/010714.html
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-April/010773.html

- Seems like I'm the secondary mentor of two GSoC students this year. Here are
  their introduction letters:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-April/010832.html
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-April/010822.html

- Tried to contribute to the onioncat thread but apparently I didn't get the concept:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-May/010999.html

- Did code reviews (#17799, #18620, #13239, #15621, #17101, #18761) and wrote
  patches (#18756) for miscellaneous Tor tickets.

- Spent time engaging in hackerone bug bounty discussions and triaging.

- Helped Kate with some press stuff about hidden services.

# Activities for June 2016

- Finalize the prop250 branch and maybe even deploy it on an actual dirauth.

- Work more on design and development of prop224.

- Hopefully get back on prop259 and try to understand how future development in
  that space can be organized.

- Spend more time doing code reviews, triaging bug bounties and GSoC.