[tor-reports] Nick's Post-February status report

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Fri Mar 1 16:18:28 UTC 2013

Some things I did in February:

 - Merged a whole bunch of feature patches and bugfixes into 0.2.4, to
   achieve the really-we-mean-it-this-time feature freeze.  Notable
   items include:

   - Fixes for two tickets that make authorities rely on advertised
     bandwidth in even fewer places (#2286, #8273 [not merged yet]).

   - A whole bunch of issues spotted by Coverity Scan.

   - A fix for hidden service authentication. (#8207)

   See the "changes" directory in the git repo, or the eventual
   changelog for 0.2.4.11-alpha, for more information.

 - Spent a while tracking, diagnosing, and flipping out about the
   OpenSSL 1.0.1d brokenness.

 - Triaged a bunch of tickets into "0.2.5" or "Undecided".

 - Implemented two features from/related to proposal 195:
   user-supplied TLS certificates, and client-selected TLS
   ciphers. (#7145. This was a deliverable. It's targeted for 0.2.5.)

 - Implemented support for giving authorities and other preconfigured
   directory sources IPv6 addresses so that users can bootstrap
   without using IPv4. (#6027. This was a deliverable. It's targeted
   for 0.2.5.)

 - Did some work to hunt down a Stegotorus/Libevent interaction
   problem. I found at least one bug, but it isn't the root of the
   issue yet. I got stuck for a while here because of bug #8367. (This
   is a deliberable.)

 - Wrote up a set of ideas for improving Tor's interoperability with
   tools like Stegotorus that want to do bridge discovery and decide
   where we're connecting. They're on #7153. I still need feedback
   there before I can do a final writeup and open some tickets. (This
   is a deliverable.)

A few things to do in March:

 - Wrap up the two deliverables above.

 - Have a good & productive time at the dev meeting.

 - Review and merge pending bugfixes for 0.2.4.
 - Review and merge pending bugfixes and features 0.2.5.
 - Triage (and work on fixing) the remaining 0.2.4 issues.

 - Try to get 0.2.4 into beta or rc status.

 - Try to get an inventory of designs and proposals that need to be
   written for 0.2.5.

 - Evaluate our progress so far on our 0.2.4 timeline, and write a
   timeline for 0.2.5.