[tor-reports] Lunar's report for June 2013

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Mon Jul 1 17:27:57 UTC 2013

Hi!

In June, I was planning to:

> Take care of support requests in french.

Done. 11 requests in french answered. I also took care of sorting spam
and 15 requests in english.

>  * Finish the glossary for french translations and start reviewing the
>    current strings.

The glossary has been completed with the help of Onizuka. I have
submitted to the Tails translator for review [1]. I've only got a
replied yesterday, but we can now proceed to add the glossary in
Transifex and improve the translations.

[1] https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-l10n/2013-June/000583.html

>  * Prepare the general talk about Tor at LSM2013 in Brussels on
>    July 8th.

Not yet. I have reviewed many slides of past talks and have a good idea
on what to talk about but I still need to get started on the actual
slides.

>  * Work on packaging ooni-probe itself now that almost all dependencies
>    are sorted out.

No real progress on that matter.

>  * If there's enough time and energy, write a draft proposal on how Tor
>    could avoid to select circuit with multiple relays in the same
>    Autonomous System or AS-SET.

No progress either.

But, June has seen me:

Attend PSES2013 [2], a small conference in Paris. Contrary to last year
where it was almost never mentioned, Tor came up in several talks and in
a impressive amount of informal discussions over the 4 days. I spend a
good amount of energy to keep people's feet on earth and explain why Tor
does not solve everything.

Again spend a huge amount of time working on Nos Oignons. On many
fronts: awareness, dealing with member subscriptions, accounting,
moving machines in Paris, doing basic configuration on a first relay,
wrapping up a flyer, laying out stickers…

Kick-off a long standing idea of having a weekly newsletter for the Tor
community. There's a wiki page describing the project [3] and a first
call for volunteers has been sent [4]. The first issue shall be sent on
July 3rd.

[2] http://www.passageenseine.org/pses-2013
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorWeeklyNews
[4] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-June/028688.html

In July, I should:

 * Take care of support requests in french.
 * Get the french glossary in Transifex and start reviewing
   translations.
 * Attend LSM2013 and give a talk about Tor on July 8th [5].
 * Attend Tor summer dev. meeting.
 * Attend OHM.
 * Take another shot on ooni-probe packaging.
 * Take another shot on writing a proposal for AS awareness in Tor.

[5] http://schedule2013.rmll.info/programme/technical/internet/article/anonymity-and-censorship

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>