[tor-reports] January status report

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sun Feb 3 00:23:39 UTC 2013

January was a busy and emotionally exhausting month. It was also very
sad; a few friends died under tragic circumstances, Aaron, known very
well by our community being the most tragic of all. I also managed to
(legally) spring a family member from jail at the eleventh hour after
eighteen months (!) of incarceration without a trial.

In the early part of the month I traveled back from 29c3 by way of
Amsterdam. I then returned to Amsterdam/The Hauge for our NSF kickoff
meeting, as well as for a speaking event with Roger at the NCSC. I wrote
a small trip report about this early in the week.

We had a good OONI meeting in Amsterdam. The trip report about Bits of
Freedom/NSF/OONI goes into more detail. We discussed a bunch of
ooniprobe/OONI stuff.

I opted out of returning to Europe a third time for FOSDEM due to health
concerns. Isis and Arturo offered to give the OONI talk in my stead.

We opened a github account for Tor Project code on github; contact me
for access or to help contribute:

  https://github.com/TheTorProject/

The ooniprobe specs are now in git:

  https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-spec

oonipribe is also on github under this account now:

  https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe

tlsdate 0.0.5 was released (and is now in ChromeOS/Debian unstable):

  http://packages.debian.org/sid/tlsdate

I started a port of tlsdate to Mac OS X and helped with some patches for
integrating PolarSSL.

TorBirdy packaging for Debian as well as initial review. A package will
be uploaded soon:

  https://github.com/ioerror/torbirdy/branches
  https://github.com/ioerror/torbirdy/tree/debian-master

TorBirdy 0.0.14 will also have a release shortly.

torsocks had two RC releases, we (nickm, me, others) hope to tag version
1.3 in the next few days:

  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-January/004379.html

At the end of the month, I was stuck in purgatory of small town
California. I largely used that time to schedule, work on writing code
and to prepare for things for the upcoming NSF/OONI/M-Lab meeting in New
York City next week.

I am now ill. Wheeee.

All the best,
Jacob