[tor-reports] Runa's January 2013

Runa A. Sandvik runa at torproject.org
Sat Feb 2 21:49:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

Top 4 things I did this month:

- Started working on an OS X Flash sandbox for the Tor Browser Bundle
(#7008). Building TBB on OS X was a bit of a challenge (#7964) and I
also ran into a bug with the Tor Browser crashing whenever I visit
certain Flash sites (#8129).

- I interviewed 26 candidates for the translator/support assistant
position(s). All the interviews were done via email and I spent a lot
of time reviewing the answers I received. I hope we can move forward
and hire support assistants in February.

- I gave a talk about Tor and the Arab Spring at HacDC. I met with
researchers in DC and listened to talks about privacy, stylometry,
analysis of onion routing security, and an evaluation of relay
selection in Tor. I attended a meeting with the US Drug Enforcement
Agency (DEA) where Andrew talked about all things Tor. I traveled to
London and Istanbul (trip reports will be published on Monday).

- I resolved 204 tickets in the Tor help desk system (see the
for-reports email [1] for the full summary). I'd like to thank Moritz
for taking care of the help desk while I was traveling.

Top 5 things I would like to do next month:

- Begin a forensic analysis of the Tor Browser Bundle on OS X 10.8
(#6846) and Windows 7 (#6845). I still need to figure out if we are
adding Linux to the list (the sponsor page says yes, but we have no
ticket for it).

- Continue working on an OS X Flash sandbox for the Tor Browser Bundle
(#7008). I should be able to continue with this even if the browser is
crashing on certain sites.

- I have a few Trac tickets related to translation and the short user
manual. I also want to properly document how the translation process
works (from adding a new translation resource to pulling down new or
updated translations).

- Help new translators/support assistants get started with Transifex
and RT. I started writing an introduction to the Tor help desk system
and should make sure this is complete and up to date.

- Attend ShmooCon and go on vacation.

[1]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-reports/2013-February/000148.html

--
Runa A. Sandvik