[tor-relays] Relay migration

lists at for-privacy.net lists at for-privacy.net
Wed Jun 5 13:50:16 UTC 2024

On Dienstag, 4. Juni 2024 23:24:50 CEST Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 04:42:50PM +0000, Eldalië via tor-relays wrote:

> > I have to move somewhere else a a (middle) relay I have been running for a
> > few years. It will be down for 2-4 weeks, then be back online in a
> > different location, with different ISP, at better speed. But it will run
> > on the same hardware and software. Should I keep the same keys, or start
> > from scratch?

> Having a relay downtime of 2-4 weeks though could really increase the
> time until you get flags like Guard back, due to some design flaws in
> how the directory authorities track stability. (The simple version of the
> issue is: we treat downtime as much more serious than not-existing-yet.)

Thanks for the info, Roger.

@Eldalië If you want to keep your history on Tor metrics, go with the old
keys.
If you generate new keys and have a new IP, you can let your relay run as a
bridge for a few weeks or months and then reconfigure it later. That would be
very helpful, especially if the IP is accessible from Turkmenistan. It's been
a year, but internet censorship is still there:
https://forum.torproject.org/t/tor-relays-help-turkmens-to-bypass-internet-censorship-run-an-obfs4-bridge/7002/8#torrc-example-6

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!