[tor-relays] Relay migration

Eldalië eldalie at disroot.org
Fri Jun 14 19:08:14 UTC 2024

On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 05:24:50PM GMT, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Having a relay downtime of 2-4 weeks though could really increase the time
> until you get flags like Guard back, due to some design flaws in how the
> directory authorities track stability.

I don't mind about the Guard flag, the relay seldom had it because the
connection was not very stable (had the flag every now and then for maybe 2
month in total spanning >2 years). But does using the same keys after a long
downtime cause significantly worse performance (meaning being underused) than
going through all the lifecycle of a new relay [1] with new keys?

> (The simple version of the issue is: we treat downtime as much more serious
> than not-existing-yet.)

Is there any resource with the difficult version? I don't really need it but it
would be nice to know. :)

[1]: Just for reference in case someone else reads this thread:
     https://blog.torproject.org/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay/

--
Eldalië
My public key is attached. Please, use it and provide me yours!