[tor-relays] Relay migration

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Tue Jun 4 21:24:50 UTC 2024

On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 04:42:50PM +0000, Eldalië via tor-relays wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I have to move somewhere else a a (middle) relay I have been running for a few
> years. It will be down for 2-4 weeks, then be back online in a different
> location, with different ISP, at better speed. But it will run on the same
> hardware and software. Should I keep the same keys, or start from scratch?

Thanks for running relays!

I would say that either choice is reasonable. So if there is one that
makes you feel happier about your contribution, go with that one. :)

Having a relay downtime of 2-4 weeks though could really increase the
time until you get flags like Guard back, due to some design flaws in
how the directory authorities track stability. (The simple version of the
issue is: we treat downtime as much more serious than not-existing-yet.)

So for that reason I would probably pick 'start from scratch' if I were
doing it. Making a new set of keys is easy and simple and doesn't really
hurt anything.

--Roger