[tor-relays] tor prometheus metrics -> expected label value, got "INVALID"

Fran fatal at mailbox.org
Sun Jan 23 10:36:05 UTC 2022

Hej,

taking another look and comparing it to onion_services exporter there is
a slight difference in the metrics output.

prometheus-onion-service-exporter:

onion_service_up{address="foobar:587",name="mail_v3_587",type="tcp"} 1

vs output from tor:

tor_hs_app_write_bytes_total{onion=foobar,port=80} 298891

The working onion-service-exporter double quotes the labels but tor doesn't.

Debug messages from prometheus are also not very helpful:

[...] msg="Append failed" err="expected label value, got \"INVALID\""

But after searching around for a long time I found that promtool can
help with debugging scraping erros.

Promtool complains about the missing double quotes

$ GET http://<IP>:9035/metrics | promtool check metrics
error while linting: text format parsing error in line 3: expected '"'
at start of label value, found 'f'

Saving the exporter output to a file and quoting the onion and port
label values:

$ cat quoted-output.txt | promtool check metrics
tor_hs_intro_established_count non-histogram and non-summary metrics
should not have "_count" suffix
tor_hs_rdv_established_count non-histogram and non-summary metrics
should not have "_count" suffix

After removing the criticized "_count" in the file promtool is happy.

So, how to fix this to not make my weekend project fail? Relabel label
values!

First try (for testing):

     relabel_configs:
     - action: labeldrop
       regex: "port"
     - action: labeldrop
       regex: "onion"

not working, still 'expected label value, got "INVALID"'. What about:

     relabel_configs:
     - target_label: onion
       replacement: foo
     - target_label: port
       replacement: bar

now I got not only the labels 'instance="<IP>:9035"job="tor_metrics"'
but also 'onion="foo" port="bar"' but still the 'expected label value,
got "INVALID"' error.

Out of ideas for the moment.

Best fran