[tor-relays] snowflake vs bridges (vs node)

Fran fatal at mailbox.org
Fri Feb 4 17:34:45 UTC 2022

Hey Gus,

thanks for your answer.

> You should not run both on the same IP address. If a censor blocks your
> obfs4 bridge IP, a user won't be able to connect using your snowflake
> proxy.

Let me try to rephrase:

I don't know how bridges with obfs4 vs snowflake work in hiding that
they provide access to the tor network (where is the difference?).
I assume that there is a difference, because if not, why bother with
another approach. So providing these two different access methods would
allow people to connect with any of the two methods. If the IP addresses
would be blocked both wouldn't work anymore, but till then more options
would be available.

If IP addresses wouldn't be limited giving both methods individual IP
addresses would of course be better. I can do this easily for v6, even
out of another /64 but for v4...well...

But would running bridge and snowflake on the same v4 do any "harm"? For
example like bridges are easier to be detected and only running
snowflake might result in a longer usability of the node.

Thanks a lot, have a great weekend!

Fran