[tor-relays] snowflake vs bridges (vs node)

gus gus at torproject.org
Fri Feb 4 15:57:01 UTC 2022

Hello Fran,

On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 06:14:49PM +0100, Fran via tor-relays wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I just saw, that it's possible to run snowflake[1] not only as browser
> plugin, but also standalone. So I am wondering what makes more sense, run a
> bridge with obsf4 or run a snowflake instance instead of a bridge. Or would
> it even make sense to install both on one server?

You should not run both on the same IP address. If a censor blocks your
obfs4 bridge IP, a user won't be able to connect using your snowflake
proxy.

For Snowflake, you can also find the standalone proxy instructions here:
https://community.torproject.org/relay/setup/snowflake/standalone/

> And generally, what's more needed atm: bridge, non-exit, exit or snowflake?

[X] All of the above :)

But, if it's your first running a relay, I would recommend starting with
a non-exit: bridge/middle/guard.

Check out our setup guides and relay documentation:
https://community.torproject.org/relay/

cheers,
Gus