[tor-relays] Tor project helping to attempt to cancel Richard Stallman

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Mar 26 18:35:29 UTC 2021

George:
> On 3/26/21 12:02 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 11:26:16 -0400
>> Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org> wrote:
>>
>>> telling new female  undergrads and grad students to ensure that they
>>> never,
>>> ever, were placed in a room alone with him.
>>
>> It is a bad idea to stay alone in a room with a woman these days,
>> regardless :)
>> Rumours or accusations of harassment are actively used to blackmail or
>> to do
>> away with a person who or whose work is not "convenient" to certain
>> parties.
>> Unfortunately he also was unwise to state an unpopular opinion
>> (believed that
>> we have freedom of speech and freedom of thought -- how silly), and
>> made it
>> even easier for them.
>
> Ha.  Yes, I get you Roman.  We call that "blaming the victims." Some of
> us are against that.
>
> None of this behavior is new. It's afflicted, dehabilitated and even
> traumitized the community since I've been around. Some louder voices set
> the tone and throw around the term "freedom of speech", when no one
> notices how many are marginalized were unheard. I have been involved in
> the open source community (-ities?) for decades. The difference between
> ten or twenty years ago and today is that the shitty behavior has now
> been politicized consciously by the far right, and some others naively
> follow the meme on the one hand, and others are rallying against this.
>
> You don't build community by implicitly and explicitly marginalizing a
> whole section of it. Sorry.
>
> And noisy self-righteous people on mailing lists are a small subsection
> of the community.
>

>>> This is the type of creep responsible for driving people out of
>>> institutions, scientific fields and academia in general.
>>
>> Creep #1 is massaging hearsay into a weapon to drive a person out of the
>> mission of his entire life, of the mission to improve the world.
>>
>>> Not even sure why I'm typing this.
>>
>> I am sorry if you took my comment as an invitation to discuss the RMS
>> matter
>> in-depth, I don't think the Tor mailing list is the right place.
>>

> Right.  Great point Roman.
>
> This is a relay operators list, yet it's become a stomping ground for
> those attacking the TPO concern for bringing some sanity to the ecosystem.
>
> There's an obvious issue here. Some very loud voices denounce TPO for a
> position taken, and it's on a relay operators list. A handful of
> operators (or not?) have politicized the issue and pushed it into the
> relays mailing list.
>
> I propose this thread is closed. Not relevant. And it's become a place
> for a few to create a faux revolt.

Thanks, George. Much appreciated. And, yes, I agree and thus am closing
this and related threads.

I was pondering a while as to whether letting the original mail through
or not to get this thread started, but I ultimately felt it would allow
us to drive some points home and thus be worth it.

One of those points was that we want to enable *everyone* (now with
asterisks) to participate in the online space, which needs a stronger
Tor (network). Thus, shutting down relays hurts those who are vulnerable
most. I was glad seeing a lot of relay operators pointing that out as
well and not shutting their relays down (quite to the contrary, spinning
even up new ones to compensate for the losses, yay!).

Another important point was bringing up our statement of values[1]
(thanks Matt for doing so), which is not only relevant for Tor employees
or Tor core contributors but something we deem important for the whole
Tor community and crucial for our mission.

Thanks to everyone keeping Tor strong and helping us in making our
community more open and inclusive.

Georg

[1]
https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/statement_of_values.txt