[tor-relays] Tor project helping to attempt to cancel Richard Stallman

George george at queair.net
Fri Mar 26 16:53:12 UTC 2021

On 3/26/21 12:02 PM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 11:26:16 -0400
> Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org> wrote:
>
>> telling new female  undergrads and grad students to ensure that they never,
>> ever, were placed in a room alone with him.
>
> It is a bad idea to stay alone in a room with a woman these days, regardless :)
> Rumours or accusations of harassment are actively used to blackmail or to do
> away with a person who or whose work is not "convenient" to certain parties.
> Unfortunately he also was unwise to state an unpopular opinion (believed that
> we have freedom of speech and freedom of thought -- how silly), and made it
> even easier for them.

Ha.  Yes, I get you Roman.  We call that "blaming the victims." Some of
us are against that.

None of this behavior is new. It's afflicted, dehabilitated and even
traumitized the community since I've been around. Some louder voices set
the tone and throw around the term "freedom of speech", when no one
notices how many are marginalized were unheard. I have been involved in
the open source community (-ities?) for decades. The difference between
ten or twenty years ago and today is that the shitty behavior has now
been politicized consciously by the far right, and some others naively
follow the meme on the one hand, and others are rallying against this.

You don't build community by implicitly and explicitly marginalizing a
whole section of it. Sorry.

And noisy self-righteous people on mailing lists are a small subsection
of the community.

>> This is the type of creep responsible for driving people out of
>> institutions, scientific fields and academia in general.
>
> Creep #1 is massaging hearsay into a weapon to drive a person out of the
> mission of his entire life, of the mission to improve the world.
>
>> Not even sure why I'm typing this.
>
> I am sorry if you took my comment as an invitation to discuss the RMS matter
> in-depth, I don't think the Tor mailing list is the right place.

Right.  Great point Roman.

This is a relay operators list, yet it's become a stomping ground for
those attacking the TPO concern for bringing some sanity to the ecosystem.

There's an obvious issue here. Some very loud voices denounce TPO for a
position taken, and it's on a relay operators list. A handful of
operators (or not?) have politicized the issue and pushed it into the
relays mailing list.

I propose this thread is closed. Not relevant. And it's become a place
for a few to create a faux revolt.