[tor-relays] Tor 0.4.5.6 and missing IPv6

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Thu Mar 11 17:16:50 UTC 2021

On 3/10/2021 5:31 PM, William Kane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> manually specify IP and port, and set the IPv4Only flag for both
> ORPort and DirPort.
>
> Reference: https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en
>
> William

I think he has a dynamic IP address which is why, according to pasted
torrc, the used config is:

`Address Address my.dynamic.dns.url`

This is a perfectly normal and accepted use-case. I think this is why it
complained about not being able to find an IPv6 address, because it was
resolving a hostname instead of parsing an IP address and most probably
it did not find any AAAA record.

Anyway, IPv4Only in the ORPort line is the right config for this
use-case (where you don't have any IPv6 thus don't want to use IPv6
auto-discovery), as David said, most annoying bugs regarding IPv6
auto-discovery were fixed. So the suggestion to use IPv4Only in torrc
line is not a workaround a bug or misbehavior or something, it is a
corrected configuration parameter (as per manual instructs) and should
stay like this even in 0.4.5.7 of course.

I only find this log message unclear:

[notice] Unable to find IPv6 address for ORPort 9001. You might want to
specify IPv6Only to it or set an explicit address or set Address.

I think it means "... You might want to specify *IPv4Only* to it or set
it to an explicit address or set configure Address."

Is this suggestion correct David? I mean, it complains about not being
able to find an IPv6 address (so most probably there is none to find)
but it requires you to specify IPv6Only -- impossible, since you don't
have any IPv6. I don't think it makes sense, or are my thoughts too
mixed up? If yes, could you do a fast PR since it's something trivial or
should I file a ticket on gitlab? This should make it in 0.4.5.7 if yes
of course.